Menu Style Button Names Can't be Changed

ronewby

Question

Using v10.0.6 to set up to burn DVD-Video. The Toast 10 User Guide (page 105) says I should be able to "Click the Menu tab and choose the optional menu settings." First of all, I can't find a Menu tab. Should there be such a tab?

I'm assuming that Roxio has (perhaps) changed to using the "Options" and "More" popups to gain access to the functions identified on the Guide's page 105 (?). Under 'Options' I can access Menu Style (in this case, have selected 'Splash'), and that shows a main title and two buttons (because of the two videos I have place into Toast).

The main title (defaulted as "My Movie") can be entered via the DVD-Video entry at the top of the Toast 10 Titanium window, and the modified title then shows up in the Menu Style/Splash window. However, I cannot modify the titles of the two buttons (also defaulted as "My Movie"); I can edit the respective titles for the two videos in the main window of the Toast window (reference the "Edit..." button associated with each of them), but these edits do not show in the Menu Style/Splash window.

Does anyone have a solution to editing the button titles?

And does anyone know if there should indeed be a Menu tab somewhere in Toast, as identified in the Guide's page 105?

2 answers to this question

If you click the More... button the window that appears has three tabs: Disc, Menus and Encoding. So that's the Menus tab you were looking for. It is more easily accessed by simply clicking on the menu style thumbnail in the left panel.

As you've seen, the menu example (after clicking the magnifying glass) will show the updated text when you change the name of your DVD. However, it will not show a preview of how the individual menu titles will appear. There's no way to get a preview of that. You can choose Save as Disc Image, then mount the resulting disc image file to see the menu in DVD Player. If you don't like what you see you can go back into Toast, edit the text and save another disc image until you have it looking the way you want. Then burn the disc image to DVD using the Image File setting in the Copy window.

As you add more titles there are fewer lines of text that appear with the titles. I believe Roxio should have a preview so it isn't all trial and error. Maybe in a future version?

If you click the More... button the window that appears has three tabs: Disc, Menus and Encoding. So that's the Menus tab you were looking for. It is more easily accessed by simply clicking on the menu style thumbnail in the left panel.

As you've seen, the menu example (after clicking the magnifying glass) will show the updated text when you change the name of your DVD. However, it will not show a preview of how the individual menu titles will appear. There's no way to get a preview of that. You can choose Save as Disc Image, then mount the resulting disc image file to see the menu in DVD Player. If you don't like what you see you can go back into Toast, edit the text and save another disc image until you have it looking the way you want. Then burn the disc image to DVD using the Image File setting in the Copy window.

As you add more titles there are fewer lines of text that appear with the titles. I believe Roxio should have a preview so it isn't all trial and error. Maybe in a future version?

Thanks tsantee,

My problem was that the Toast manual (page 105) implies that there should be a Menus tab somewhere outside the "Options" area... it makes no reference to the "Options" area's being the source of the Menus tab (which is what I figured might be the case).

Appreciate your input regarding the fact that the individual menus titles aren't previewed... that helps a lot to know that! For sure, it's awkward to have to go through the process of saving a disk image just to confirm the entries, especially for a large video file.