• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Capturing AVI files from DV Camera

glennwebster

Question

1. Are AVI files the best choice when capturing? Ultimate destination is a DVD.

I am very happy with the video quality but files are very large.

2. Can I capture without audio and replace it with new after capture?

3. Can I remove audio after capture and replace it with new?

I bet your reply mode looks like in the top screen shot below :)

What you have to do is to select the Rich Text Editor through My Controls & Board Settings as indicated in the 2nd screenshot

Sorry it took so long to give you the results. I am using Netscape as my browser and while it wasn't on the list of Browers acceptable to use the Rich Text Editor it did mention Mozilla, which I always thought Netscape was. Apparently not since although Rich Text editor shows as my editor I still do not have the Spell checker icon on mt reply screen.

Thanks for the help.

glenn

:huh:

Spell check is the abc in the upper right hand corner when you are in reply mode.

Hope that helps.

I think you have to download it before it works. If you click the icon (check) it will ask if you want to download it. Google Tool bar also has a check spell extension that will work if that is what you are using.

The sub layer buttons (called Chapters in DVD Builder) are accessed through the Mark Chapters. If you have the default 'Create chapters menu' checked, you can change the text under each chapter by double clicking on the text.

Other options are available under Themes\ Advanced.

As far as burning, first visit the website of the DVD\computer manufacturer and see if they have any support 'updates' for the burner.

Then instead of trying to burn directly to the DVD, uncheck the burner and check 'image file'. That will make a file that you can double click on and burn to the DVD using Disk Copier. This usually works for most people because you're separating the encoding process from the burning process.

:)

I checked with the manufaturer and they said nothing was available so I decided it was time to replace the burner.

I will try the other method you suggested but in the meantime something else has developed.

My windows media player does not do well with the large files I am working with so I have been using the Roxio Cineplayer which works very well. This morning when I tried to open a file it said "loading" as normal, then said "elapesd" and became unresponsive and I had to use Task Manager to end it. I tred to check for Roxio updates and got this message "Failed to load XML data from file. Cannot have multiple doctype declarations."

I tried to repair EMC 7 with the disk but the player still does the same thing. If I remove EMC 7 and reinstall will I lose any of my productions?

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks for your continued support.

glenn

Yeah, you are correcto Walt. I just fell into Bruce's trap :) I'm not sure where the OP is looking but this might help-- (This is in the "Reply Mode").

Frank....

Note that the spell checker only appears if the user has Rich Text Editor enabled in the Board Options. Personally, I prefer the Standard Editor so am not seeing it.

Guest mlpasley

There is some debate about #1, but I believe that DV AVI is your best choice. Since you're capturing raw video rather than capturing and compressing which happens with mpeg2, you're less likely to get dropped frames. Also, avi files can be read by almost any video editing program, but mpeg2 depends on you having the right codecs installed for different programs. It's also easier to edit on some computers (like mine)

2. No you cannot capture from a DV camcorder without audio if you're importing with an IEEE 1394 cable.

3. You mute the Native audio in the VideoWave storyline (explained below) . To put new audio on the storyline, you drag the audio/music to the audio track.

You have internal and external audio tracks. An example is probably the best way to explain this. If you have one portion of the video that you want to set to a particular song, you 'split' (timeline view) the video at the points where you want the song to start and stop. Edit the Native Audio so that the value is -34 and the sound will be muted. Then switch back to the Storyline view and drag the song onto that clip which will put the song on the internal track.

(Sorry. I tend to do long winded explanations. :) )

Adding a little to what you are talking about regarding "Scenes" ml. My son's camcorder also shows scenes when capturing, but that's because when he places a new tape in the camcorder and then just start recording and then shut it off, then start recording again it will have a different scene each time.

I do it a lot different in my camcorder. Every time I place a new tape (mini-DV) in my camcorder, I always "Stripe" the entire tape by closing the lens cap and record the entire tape until it's all used up. Then I rewind and when you do that it places a continuous time track on the tape from start to finish. That way you don't get all the separate scenes.

A long time ago this was brought up on some of the older forum posts and some like to do it and some do not. The reason I do is there is no way you can "batch capture" if you don't stripe the entire tape. Also, when you don't stripe the tape, every scene will will have (some place on each scene) the exact time. and that can really get confusing when trying to edit at a certain time location as the camcorder goes nuts trying to figure out what particular time you want and can't do it.

Frank....

Yeah, you are correcto Walt. I just fell into Bruce's trap :D I'm not sure where the OP is looking but this might help-- (This is in the "Reply Mode").

Frank....

Frank,

It doesn't look like my reply mode, I don't have spell check or any of the other icons on the top right portion of your picture. :):huh:

Guest mlpasley

I stripe too. Mostly because with my camcorder it can look like there is nothing left on the tape after the initial capture. For example, when you stop taping, you get a blue screen. Then the next time you tape, the blue screen is still there. So when I Capture, the capture stops at the first blue screen. Not good if my memory is bad and doesn't remember that there is more on the tape.

I think you brought up striping in the previous forum and when I started reading about it in various forums, I decided that it was a good idea.

Thanks for the memory jog. I forgot about the other way to detect scenes.

You can arrange to have the video split into scenes another way by switching to the Collections View in VideoWave. Then find your video and right click on the video in the Media Selector - Collections and selecting Scene Detect.

You can have the program automatically detect the scenes, but that seems to be based on the change in light and sometimes gives you an unmanageable amount of scenes. Or you can manually select the scenes.

Frank,

It doesn't look like my reply mode, I don't have spell check or any of the other icons on the top right portion of your picture. :):D

I bet your reply mode looks like in the top screen shot below :huh:

What you have to do is to select the Rich Text Editor through My Controls & Board Settings as indicated in the 2nd screenshot

post-103-1152681475.jpg

Sorry it took so long to give you the results. I am using Netscape as my browser and while it wasn't on the list of Browers acceptable to use the Rich Text Editor it did mention Mozilla, which I always thought Netscape was. Apparently not since although Rich Text editor shows as my editor I still do not have the Spell checker icon on mt reply screen.

Thanks for the help.

glenn

If you don't hate or not trust Google (in this case the double negative is needed), download and install the Google tool bar. It has a spell checker. It may be an option. In the tool bar, there is a little check mark to turn on and off the spell checker.

Great information and suggestions ml. I have been doing exactly what you suggest on all of my video edits. Once I learned a littel more about "how to", I am now capturing around 15 minutes each and edit that.

I'm not sure if Glenn is familiar with "stripping" a new mini-DV tape. If not Glenn I will elaborate just a little more. Most all camcorders will place a "time track" in the video footage as you record. If not stripped, every time the recorder button is on, that time starts at zero and contunues until you stop recording. However, the next time you start recording the camcorder will place another time track on the tape for that recording and it also will start at zero and stop continue a time track till you stop the recording. Same thing goes on till the tape is used up. Now you will have numerious "scenes" that all have a similar time recorded.

Now, when you stripe a tape, the camcorder places a time track on the tape from the beginning of the tape clear to the end. All one time track. Later when you want to find a ceratin recording the the camcorder will never get confused as far as time is concerned, as every recording will have a time track of it's own and never the same time as any other recording. If you have ever done any "batch" capturing or recording, this is almost a must.

Frank....(Sorry if I talked about "stripping" a bit too much) :)

OK, I going to demonstrate once again how dumb I am.

I'm here in the reply mode - looking in the upper right hand corner and I can't see an ABC icon anywhere. Can you help me zero in on it?

I use Netscape for my browser, does that make any diffference? And I don't have the google tool bar.

You should see the ABC icon at the bottom of the Media Selector box.

post-81-1152639975.jpg

There is some debate about #1, but I believe that DV AVI is your best choice. Since you're capturing raw video rather than capturing and compressing which happens with mpeg2, you're less likely to get dropped frames. Also, avi files can be read by almost any video editing program, but mpeg2 depends on you having the right codecs installed for different programs. It's also easier to edit on some computers (like mine)

2. No you cannot capture from a DV camcorder without audio if you're importing with an IEEE 1394 cable.

3. You mute the Native audio in the VideoWave storyline (explained below) . To put new audio on the storyline, you drag the audio/music to the audio track.

You have internal and external audio tracks. An example is probably the best way to explain this. If you have one portion of the video that you want to set to a particular song, you 'split' (timeline view) the video at the points where you want the song to start and stop. Edit the Native Audio so that the value is -34 and the sound will be muted. Then switch back to the Storyline view and drag the song onto that clip which will put the song on the internal track.

(Sorry. I tend to do long winded explanations. :) )

A little humor: I captured about 28 minutes of video and edited it and then as, you advised, started to mute the audio. Didn't take long to figure out I was going to have to mute each clip (about 90 or so) individually.

Older we get and smarter, but not necessarily in that order.

:lol:

Could I have done the entire capture all at once before editing? Would that have affected the edit process?

Another Question: The manual mentions "splitting by scene" while capturing. Could not find that in the capture options. It split every ten minutes during the capture (capture entire tape) and both times were in the middle of a sequence that required me to go back and capture whole. Not a big deal but I'm wondering about the split by scene function. Is it a good thing and how do I enable it?

Last: Can I spell check before Posting??

Yeah, I'm like you Patty. I don't go there very often but I guess sometime in the past I must have done what Walt suggests. Thanks for the suggested way to make it work anyway. I learned something that I didn't know was the solultion. That will probably help others as well. Muchas Gracias senior :)

Frank...

Adding to Bruce's suggestion, just clicking the the "ABC" Icon that Bruce suggested will only get you a screen option of all of the available fonts for entering your text. After you have the ABC font screen, click on the font of your choice and then drag it down onto the slide of your choice. You will then see a new screen that will have all of the options for new text, size, etc.

Frank....

I don't understand. All you have to do is post a reply like you did today.

You can keep replying to this 'thread' and we'll try to help.

OK.

Thanks to the help I found here I just finished editing about 30 minutes of video and now (following your instructions) I am going to replace the audio with music (I hope) java script:emoticon(':)', 'smid_16')

java script:emoticon(':huh:', 'smid_16')

Adding to Bruce's suggestion, just clicking the the "ABC" Icon that Bruce suggested will only get you a screen option of all of the available fonts for entering your text. After you have the ABC font screen, click on the font of your choice and then drag it down onto the slide of your choice. You will then see a new screen that will have all of the options for new text, size, etc.

Frank....

Frank, Bruce

I believe that Glenn is asking about how to get to the spell checker in the forums not about anything in EMC 8

I chuckled at your humor because I did the same thing before I discovered that it was best to MUTE (-34) then split the video.

You can capture all at once, but the longer you capture, the longer it's going to take for the preview files to be remade every time you make a change in the video.

Since your video splits at 10 minutes, that option can be changed under the Settings tab in Capture. However, even if it splits at 10 minutes, this is digital video and the split should be seamless. You shouldn't be able to tell where it has been split when you put them onto the storyline.

Whether the video is split into scenes depends on your camcorder. Mine automatically splits it into scenes. If it's been split into scenes, you'll see two arrows on your captured video. It's sometimes hard to select, but the down arrow is the one that displays the video by scenes. If you have no down arrow and don't have the option in the Settings menu, then it won't work with your camcorder.

Spell check is the abc in the upper right hand corner when you are in reply mode.

Hope that helps.

I have the Panasonic PV-GS300.

I noticed the option to set the amount of time when capturing. I didn't enter a time so maybe the default is ten minutes. I didn't realize that I could place the clips on the time line for a seamless edit. That would give me ten minutes of video on each side of the edit, or am I missing something?

I'm still struggling with some the basics involved in digital editing. I'm guessing from what you said that I can drag the same captured video onto the time line several times to edit different sequences even if they overlap? I'm not sure what I just said, hope you understood.

I think you have to download it before it works. If you click the icon (check) it will ask if you want to download it. Google Tool bar also has a check spell extension that will work if that is what you are using.

OK, I going to demonstrate once again how dumb I am.

I'm here in the reply mode - looking in the upper right hand corner and I can't see an ABC icon anywhere. Can you help me zero in on it?

I use Netscape for my browser, does that make any diffference? And I don't have the google tool bar.

Guest mlpasley

It's been so long since I initially installed EMC 7 and I've made so many changes to the settings that I have no idea what the defaults are. However, ten minutes is a good number for capturing. It'll make your editing easier.

Yes. It should be a seamless edit. Just put the ten minute clips in order on the timeline and it'll play like the original video. They shouldn't overlap if you let the program capture automatically. You're correct. You will have 10 minutes on either side in the storyline.

Everyone edits a little differently. This is the method I use.

1. Drag the separate video clips onto the storyline in the order that you want. You can drag multiple copies if you need to. Order doesn't matter unless you want it to play from beginning to end as in the original video.

2. Switch to the Timeline View. Play the video until you reach a spot you want to delete. Right click on the video and choose 'Split' or use the 'Split icon'. Play the video (or move the orange bar) to the spot where you want it to start again. Split the video again. Click on the portion you want to delete so that it's highlighted in orange. Click the red X to delete it.

Now you can split the video as often as you want. It will still play seamlessly. Splitting divides the video into scenes and is useful if you want to put text, video effects or overlays on only one scene.

Other people drag multiple copies of the clips onto the storyline and use Adjust duration in the storyline view. I find that cumbersome because it takes a long time for my computer to generate the preview for the adjust duration.

A good way to figure out how this video editing process works is to take a small portion of your video and experiment all the way to the actual burning of the DVD (which you can cancel before it actually burns a DVD.)

Your original video is never changed and you can make many different productions of the video as you want. I routinely work with two copies of the same production and alternate saving between the two files. If the program freezes or computer crashes while you're editing and the original production becomes corrupt, you have a backup copy.

Hope that wasn't too much information. :)

Guest mlpasley

I chuckled at your humor because I did the same thing before I discovered that it was best to MUTE (-34) then split the video.

You can capture all at once, but the longer you capture, the longer it's going to take for the preview files to be remade every time you make a change in the video.

Since your video splits at 10 minutes, that option can be changed under the Settings tab in Capture. However, even if it splits at 10 minutes, this is digital video and the split should be seamless. You shouldn't be able to tell where it has been split when you put them onto the storyline.

Whether the video is split into scenes depends on your camcorder. Mine automatically splits it into scenes. If it's been split into scenes, you'll see two arrows on your captured video. It's sometimes hard to select, but the down arrow is the one that displays the video by scenes. If you have no down arrow and don't have the option in the Settings menu, then it won't work with your camcorder.

Hope that helps.

It's been so long since I initially installed EMC 7 and I've made so many changes to the settings that I have no idea what the defaults are. However, ten minutes is a good number for capturing. It'll make your editing easier.

Yes. It should be a seamless edit. Just put the ten minute clips in order on the timeline and it'll play like the original video. They shouldn't overlap if you let the program capture automatically. You're correct. You will have 10 minutes on either side in the storyline.

Everyone edits a little differently. This is the method I use.

1. Drag the separate video clips onto the storyline in the order that you want. You can drag multiple copies if you need to. Order doesn't matter unless you want it to play from beginning to end as in the original video.

2. Switch to the Timeline View. Play the video until you reach a spot you want to delete. Right click on the video and choose 'Split' or use the 'Split icon'. Play the video (or move the orange bar) to the spot where you want it to start again. Split the video again. Click on the portion you want to delete so that it's highlighted in orange. Click the red X to delete it.

Now you can split the video as often as you want. It will still play seamlessly. Splitting divides the video into scenes and is useful if you want to put text, video effects or overlays on only one scene.

Other people drag multiple copies of the clips onto the storyline and use Adjust duration in the storyline view. I find that cumbersome because it takes a long time for my computer to generate the preview for the adjust duration.

A good way to figure out how this video editing process works is to take a small portion of your video and experiment all the way to the actual burning of the DVD (which you can cancel before it actually burns a DVD.)

Your original video is never changed and you can make many different productions of the video as you want. I routinely work with two copies of the same production and alternate saving between the two files. If the program freezes or computer crashes while you're editing and the original production becomes corrupt, you have a backup copy.

Hope that wasn't too much information. :)

Never too much. More is better for me.

That helps a lot. Thanks.

I wanted to delete just a few frames and tried using the Adjust Duration but didn't really understand the concept. I used the zoom feature until it was large enough to allow me too select between the edits and then I could delete it.

I was feelling enough confience to try your suggestion about actually burning a production. Actually I got the menu built - but couldn't figuere out how to get the "(?)sub layer buttons (?)" .

I think that's best left for another time - but as for the burning ......Pfffft - there goes my confidence. Every time I tried. it ended up by telling me I had errors and I didn't have a clue. I couldn't open the resulting effort to see it I could figure it out and one time when I tried to open the disk it froze my system. Locked up tighter than a bull's butt in fly time. I did get one error code "0x80004005". any Ideas?

Another question - I see a slection that says Cue. Can you tell me how to use it?

OK now here is a question my grandaughter just asked. What washes up on tiny beaches?

Answer: Microwaves.

Thanks again to you and all who a have taken the time to answer my questions.

glenn

Archived