• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Unable to do multiple splits in a clip

glennwebster

Question

I am able to split a video clip and delete the unwanted portion but when I move down the timeline to the next point I want to edit and click the "Split Clip" icon I get the message:

"Cannot split currently selected item. Make sure the position is over the selection, or select the right item to split."

Details (in case they may be helpful) are:

Total Clip length is 08:15:00 It plays normally from beginning to end.

The Clip thumbnail ends at 01:11:29. The rest of the timeline (to the end of the clip) is light blue. The point at which I want to edit is in the blue area at 05:04:08.

Also, if I switch to the Story line and back the to the Timeline the "Split Clip" icon is grayed out and I can never get it enabled again.

Can I paste small screen captures in this space? I would help considerably to explain what I am trying to describe.

Thanks in advance to any who may be able to help.

3 answers to this question

I am able to split a video clip and delete the unwanted portion but when I move down the timeline to the next point I want to edit and click the "Split Clip" icon I get the message:

"Cannot split currently selected item. Make sure the position is over the selection, or select the right item to split."

Details (in case they may be helpful) are:

Total Clip length is 08:15:00 It plays normally from beginning to end.

The Clip thumbnail ends at 01:11:29. The rest of the timeline (to the end of the clip) is light blue. The point at which I want to edit is in the blue area at 05:04:08.

Also, if I switch to the Story line and back the to the Timeline the "Split Clip" icon is grayed out and I can never get it enabled again.

Can I paste small screen captures in this space? I would help considerably to explain what I am trying to describe.

Thanks in advance to any who may be able to help.

I am not sure what you mean by "Clip thumbnail ends at 01:11:29. The rest of the timeline (to the end of the clip) is light blue.". All that the thumbnail shows is the first frame of the video clip, it does not indicate any time length. The rest of the video clip is always blue. You should move the cursor to the point where you want to do your next split, then right click and click on split from the download menu that should appear or click on the Split icon.

Guest mlpasley

Let me add a bit to the explanation.

When you switch from the Storyline view to the Timeline View, you have to click on the clip in the Production Editor in order to enable the Split icon or you can right click on the clip and choose split.

HOWEVER, you have to do things in the correct order.

Click on the clip that you want to split. It should be outlined in orange.

Drag the orange bar from the very left hand side of the video in the Production Editor. It has an orange triangle at the top.

Position the bar at the exact point where you want to split the video.

Click Split.

You usually get that message when the wrong video clip is outlined in orange. ie. you want to split clip 10 and clip 1 is outlined in orange.

One other possibility..... if you want to split within 10 frames of the begining or end of a video clip, you have to use Adjust duration to mark the beginning or end frame.

I am not sure what you mean by "Clip thumbnail ends at 01:11:29. The rest of the timeline (to the end of the clip) is light blue.". All that the thumbnail shows is the first frame of the video clip, it does not indicate any time length. The rest of the video clip is always blue. You should move the cursor to the point where you want to do your next split, then right click and click on split from the download menu that should appear or click on the Split icon.

Thank you to mlpasley and myguggi. I uderstand now what I was doing wrong and am anxious to go try it.

Archived