Sign in to follow this  
RayJayG

Previewing Blu-Ray Video DVD

Question

I have put together slides of my grand daughters prom (99 slides) & graduation (56 slides). I have dragged both slide files and added audio and now want to preview what I have before burning to disc. I tried for over an hour to find the way to preview without success as the users manual instructions do not work. Then I spent one hour and twenty minutes with a Roxio TS agent who was not knowledgeable enough to tell me how to do this. Everything he told me to do would not work nor could he when putting me on hold for a longtime find anyone else in the organization who knew what to do. The bottom line is that I have spent almost three hours trying to find out how to review a project so now my only hope is that there is someone out there who know if this can be done and if so how.?

4 answers to this question

I have put together slides of my grand daughters prom (99 slides) & graduation (56 slides). I have dragged both slide files and added audio and now want to preview what I have before burning to disc. I tried for over an hour to find the way to preview without success as the users manual instructions do not work. Then I spent one hour and twenty minutes with a Roxio TS agent who was not knowledgeable enough to tell me how to do this. Everything he told me to do would not work nor could he when putting me on hold for a longtime find anyone else in the organization who knew what to do. The bottom line is that I have spent almost three hours trying to find out how to review a project so now my only hope is that there is someone out there who know if this can be done and if so how.?

Unfortunately - TOAST (which really has been a stellar product for years) and Roxio - which is now owned by Sonic Solutions (see sonic.com) - and since they are NOT the founders of creators of Toast, they just bought it and milk it. They have off loaded their tech support to consumers (on Toast) - to a company overseas... and I had the EXACT same experience with TOTALLY UNPREPARED and untrained phone "support people". They lied so much that on my third call they asked me to hold while they found the phone number for Boinx to let me contact them about Fotomagico interaction with Toast. (sold as a bundle) -- and you know what these brilliant folks that Sonic has hired did? - they tried to give me (after 20 minutes wait) - the actual "main" phone number for Apple Inc. at 1 Infiinite Loop. I worked at Apple for 10 years - and knew the number immediately. THEY DO NOT KNOW THE ANSWERS - just baby basics.

Tell your friends and colleagues - if they want TOAST and SUPPORT - it's best to start looking in other places. The user group here is the ONLY help I've found. Take that for what it is worth.

-Rob

I know you don't want to hear this, but maybe you should "just" rebuild your slideshows in iMovie or iPhoto or even iDVD. It's very easy in both and you have tons of control easily available; cropping, Ken Burns effect, straightening, music placement, various cross fades, etc.

I've never used Roxio tools for making slideshows, so I can't really help with that. Hopefully someone here can.

BTW, have you tried simply burning your project to a disk image? You could then mount the image and use DVD Player to play it just like any DVD. If the image works, burn it to disk. Otherwise trash it and make changes before trying again.

Edited by WayneH

I know you don't want to hear this, but maybe you should "just" rebuild your slideshows in iMovie or iPhoto or even iDVD. It's very easy in both and you have tons of control easily available; cropping, Ken Burns effect, straightening, music placement, various cross fades, etc.

I've never used Roxio tools for making slideshows, so I can't really help with that. Hopefully someone here can.

BTW, have you tried simply burning your project to a disk image? You could then mount the image and use DVD Player to play it just like any DVD. If the image works, burn it to disk. Otherwise trash it and make changes before trying again.

Despite my rant towards the lack of Roxio support - I have to agree with WayneH and his suggestion. Build a slide show in iPhoto or fotomagico or even iMovie - but don't do it inside Toast unless you just have to. -- Toast is very good for taking the finished slide show (as a QuickTime Movie) and burning it to DVD or iPhone or Apple TV etc.

-R

I have used iDVD & iMovie with success the problem is the disc I burned would not play in my Samsung Blu-Ray player, IE, Samsumg does not recognize the Apple format so then I went to Toast and the rest is history.