• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

"VIDEO_TS folder appears to be damaged"--ADVICE?

magnus523

Question

Hi folks--I got some good advice here a few weeks ago, hoping someone can help again.

I'm attempting to copy a series of videotapes I treasure to DVD, and to make backup copies of these disks via Popcorn II. These are from broadcast TV and NOT copy-protected. I'm using high-quality disks recommended on this forum.

I'm making the initial copies with a Panasonic DMR-EMS20 DVD recorder. I have made dozens of these; ALL play perfectly on the unit, and a friend says their fine on his as well.

BUT about half of the disks WILL NOT COPY via Popcorn. Some do, some don't, and I can't see any rhyme or reason to it. With the ones that don't, I get the following message under Popcorn: "VIDEO_TS folder appears to be damaged."

I've also noted that these problematic disks are reluctant to play on my computer (although, again, they play perfectly on the Panasonic); the Imac (2gz PowerMac PC G5) gives me the following message:

"error reading from disk source: might be scratched or dirty [-36]"

(They're not, by the way--all brand new and untouched by human mitts.)

This leads me to assume the problem isn't with Popcorn, but frankly, I was hoping someone here still might have some insight into the problem. Applecare is baffled, and I have a horror of trying to get answers out of the crack Panasonic staff in Sri Lanka, or wherever--their "customer service" is legendary, and not in a good way.

So, guys--any advice? I'd be most appreciative.

5 answers to this question

I have used both Memorex, which I subsequently heard was lousy from this forum, and Taiyo Yuden, which was recommended here. Same thing happens on both, it seems.

I should say I've made a couple of Taiyo disks--the vast majority is memorex, I admit. But so far, no luck with the better disks.

How well is your Mac drive reading commercial DVDs? I'm wondering if this is a drive problem. Get a disc cleaning disc (they're pretty cheap) and see if that helps your drive recognize the discs.

Okay, sorry for the delay, I had to travel on business unexpectedly. I have purchased a Memorex CD/DVD lens cleaner. It spits out a minute or so after insertion, without giving me access to the promised audio directions, so I don't know if it did its work or not. No change in any case.

I'm skeptical that it's such a simple problem anyway, as conmmercial disks always seem to work, and the disks I've made that DO work seem to keep on working without a hitch. I'm really baffled at this point.

My best guess is the brand of media you are using is a problem for the Mac's DVD drive. Test with a different brand (not Memorex media).

I have used both Memorex, which I subsequently heard was lousy from this forum, and Taiyo Yuden, which was recommended here. Same thing happens on both, it seems.

I should say I've made a couple of Taiyo disks--the vast majority is memorex, I admit. But so far, no luck with the better disks.

Archived