BamaRich

Blank Panels In Slide Show

Question

I am having a problem with Roxio Creator 2009 with all current updates. I have made a slideshow in Videowave with about 350 slides and another with about 120 slides. These are still images of old 35mm slides. They were originally scanned at 300dpi and saved as an uncompressed tif file. I downsized each image to about 768 x 500 pixels to be about the correct size for a DVD video. I am using a 16:9 aspect ratio. The slide show contains some basic transitions and an audio track. When I create a DVD video file, or an MPEGII or WMV file, some of the panels where a slide should be are just a black image. The places where blank panels occur is random and will not be the same panels as a previous attempt. Sometimes I get more blanks and sometimes only one or two. My computer is a AMD Athlon XP 2400 running at 2GHz with 2GB RAM. I have tried both Videowave and MyDVD to create the files with the same results. I do not have any screen savers or anti-virus running, and before I open Creator, I close all other programs. I also have opened Windows Task Manager and closed out other running programs that are not needed for Creator to run. That seems to lessen the amount of blank panels, but still I will have at least two or three. Any ideas on how to solve this problem?

11 answers to this question

I am having a problem with Roxio Creator 2009 with all current updates. I have made a slideshow in Videowave with about 350 slides and another with about 120 slides. These are still images of old 35mm slides. They were originally scanned at 300dpi and saved as an uncompressed tif file. I downsized each image to about 768 x 500 pixels to be about the correct size for a DVD video. I am using a 16:9 aspect ratio. The slide show contains some basic transitions and an audio track. When I create a DVD video file, or an MPEGII or WMV file, some of the panels where a slide should be are just a black image. The places where blank panels occur is random and will not be the same panels as a previous attempt. Sometimes I get more blanks and sometimes only one or two. My computer is a AMD Athlon XP 2400 running at 2GHz with 2GB RAM. I have tried both Videowave and MyDVD to create the files with the same results. I do not have any screen savers or anti-virus running, and before I open Creator, I close all other programs. I also have opened Windows Task Manager and closed out other running programs that are not needed for Creator to run. That seems to lessen the amount of blank panels, but still I will have at least two or three. Any ideas on how to solve this problem?

You left out a very important system spec: your video card or graphics adaptor.

Slideshows should be created in Videowave, myDVD is for creating menus and burning.

What render setting are you using: software or hardware (under Tools/Option).? What happens if you leave out the transitions for a test?

How much free space do you have on your hard drive? Have you defragged your hard drive lately?

There is also no need to adjust any photo images before adding them in Videowave. Any adjustment is done by the program anyway to fit to the required video standard. Downsizing photos will just cause you to lose quality before you even start.

You left out a very important system spec: your video card or graphics adaptor.

Slideshows should be created in Videowave, myDVD is for creating menus and burning.

What render setting are you using: software or hardware (under Tools/Option).? What happens if you leave out the transitions for a test?

How much free space do you have on your hard drive? Have you defragged your hard drive lately?

There is also no need to adjust any photo images before adding them in Videowave. Any adjustment is done by the program anyway to fit to the required video standard. Downsizing photos will just cause you to lose quality before you even start.

Thank you for your suggestions. The graphics adapter is a NVIDIA GeForce4-MX420. I cannot find the specs as far as speed and memory, but will look for that later.

I am using Videowave to create the production and MyDVD to render.

I am using the software render setting as I receive a warning when I perform the hardware test that my system is not capable of hardware rendering. I have defragged my hard drives and always try to keep those clean and uncluttered with plenty of free space. I have the Roxio program on the internal HDD, and the slide scans are on an external drive connected through a USB2.0 port. I am thinking about trying to move the slides to the main HDD thinking the USB external drive my be a bottleneck.

I have not tried leaving out the transitions for a test, but will give that a try. I have tried creating an ISO file without the burn DVD option. I got through one render yesterday all the way through until the forth to last slide. It could well be that my computer system is not up to the task.

Thank you for your suggestions. The graphics adapter is a NVIDIA GeForce4-MX420. I cannot find the specs as far as speed and memory, but will look for that later.

I am using the software render setting as I receive a warning when I perform the hardware test that my system is not capable of hardware rendering. I have defragged my hard drives and always try to keep those clean and uncluttered with plenty of free space. I have the Roxio program on the internal HDD, and the slide scans are on an external drive connected through a USB2.0 port. I am thinking about trying to move the slides to the main HDD thinking the USB external drive my be a bottleneck.

I have not tried leaving out the transitions for a test, but will give that a try. I have tried creating an ISO file without the burn DVD option. I got through one render yesterday all the way through until the forth to last slide. It could well be that my computer system is not up to the task.

Yes, that video chip is probably not up to handling the program. I was going to suggest that you update the drivers for it but now see that the latest drivers are from 2006 ! Look here. If yours is older than that then perhaps an update would help. Do you have a laptop or desk top? If you have a desktop, perhaps a video card will be enough. I would guess that your computer is getting pretty long in the tooth so you have to decide if the investment is worth it.

Edited by sknis

<!--quoteo(post=331731:date=Jun 16 2010, 06:40 AM:name=BamaRich)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BamaRich @ Jun 16 2010, 06:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=331731"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thank you for your suggestions. The graphics adapter is a NVIDIA GeForce4-MX420. I cannot find the specs as far as speed and memory, but will look for that later.

I have not tried leaving out the transitions for a test, but will give that a try. I have tried creating an ISO file without the burn DVD option. I got through one render yesterday all the way through until the forth to last slide. It could well be that my computer system is not up to the task.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, that video chip is probably not up to handling the program. I was going to suggest that you update the drivers for it but now see that the latest drivers are from 2006 ! <a href="http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_93.71_2.html" target="_blank">Look here</a>. If yours is older than that then perhaps an update would help. Do you have a laptop or desk top? If you have a desktop, perhaps a video card will be enough. I would guess that your computer is getting pretty long in the tooth so you have to decide if the investment is worth it.

I took a break from the problem for awhile and got back to it today. I have finally been able to successfully create the dvd movie file. Thanks for the suggestions.

My computer is a desktop and I do have the latest firmware update for the Nvidia display system. Besides the steps taken before, I reduced the display video resolution to the minimum Creator 2009 would run in. I think that was 1280x960, and I closed all non-needed running programs. The hardware render test would then indicate that the hardware was sufficient to render the composition. I then "burned" to an iso file in MyDVD but did not attempt to burn a DVD at the same time. After the iso file was created, I then used "Burn Disc Image" selection in Data-Copy to burn the DVD video.

I would like to back up and comment on a previous statement in the responses. The suggestion was made that it was not necessary to reduce the image resolution before inserting the images into the storyline. I should have stated that I reduced the size, but not the resolution, of the slide scans. They were scanned at 300dpi, but I reduced the size to close to the DVD video specification of 720x480. That would have to be done by Videowave anyway, and I would rather trust doing that manually in Photoshop that trusting an automatic program. I read on another thread on this board someplace where someone was having a similar problem with images, and the suggestion was made to transform the image size to near the required size for the desired format before moving the image into the storyline to help solve the problem. I think this helped since I noticed less blank panels after I reduced the size. I did keep the original large size scans in case I ever need those later.

Again, thanks for the suggestions. I hope by describing what all I finally did to get a good render will help others with the same problem, especially those using a computer that is just at the edge of lowest processing required by Creator 2009 components.

I took a break from the problem for awhile and got back to it today. I have finally been able to successfully create the dvd movie file. Thanks for the suggestions.

My computer is a desktop and I do have the latest firmware update for the Nvidia display system. Besides the steps taken before, I reduced the display video resolution to the minimum Creator 2009 would run in. I think that was 1280x960, and I closed all non-needed running programs. The hardware render test would then indicate that the hardware was sufficient to render the composition. I then "burned" to an iso file in MyDVD but did not attempt to burn a DVD at the same time. After the iso file was created, I then used "Burn Disc Image" selection in Data-Copy to burn the DVD video.

I would like to back up and comment on a previous statement in the responses. The suggestion was made that it was not necessary to reduce the image resolution before inserting the images into the storyline. I should have stated that I reduced the size, but not the resolution, of the slide scans. They were scanned at 300dpi, but I reduced the size to close to the DVD video specification of 720x480. That would have to be done by Videowave anyway, and I would rather trust doing that manually in Photoshop that trusting an automatic program. I read on another thread on this board someplace where someone was having a similar problem with images, and the suggestion was made to transform the image size to near the required size for the desired format before moving the image into the storyline to help solve the problem. I think this helped since I noticed less blank panels after I reduced the size. I did keep the original large size scans in case I ever need those later.

Again, thanks for the suggestions. I hope by describing what all I finally did to get a good render will help others with the same problem, especially those using a computer that is just at the edge of lowest processing required by Creator 2009 components.

The minimum screen resolution for Roxio is 1024x768 not 1280x960. DPI means basically nothing to Videowave, its mainly used when scanning images or printing photos. Reducing file size does not necessarily mean that you have reduced the image resolution; you have just reduced the quality of the image that you are using.

Hi.

I came today to this forum having recently encountered the problem described – and not for the first time.

My computer is a Dell, running XP media edition, Service Pack3, 2GB RAM, 3.2GHz Pentium D. My hard disc has 66 GB (out of 144) of free space. The computer is about 4 years old.

Most recently I wanted to make a DVD of some photos and a few small pieces of video from a just finished vacation. I began by loading the photos into Slideshow Assistant. Next I sent the slideshow to VideoWave and added the video pieces and some background audio. I previewed the finished product and found no problems. I then loaded the VideoWave product into MyDVD, previewed the result (again, no problem) and burned the DVD. Watched the DVD on my DVD player connected to my TV. No problems.

I then realized that there was an important photo that I had omitted, so I added the photo, and a transition, to the VideoWave product and saved the new product. Opened the new product in MyDVD and previewed the result before burning. Now several of the photos had been replaced by black panels. I have since repeated those steps several times: open edited VideoWave in MyDVD, preview, see black panel instead of photo – and it’s not always the same photos. Sometimes a photo appears that used to be a black panel and sometimes a photo that had been viewed previously now is a black panel.

So I now have a DVD that works, but is missing one photo I would to have on it.

I mentioned earlier that this is not the first time the problem has happened. Creator 2009 has informed me that my video driver may be out of date. I downloaded the most recent driver, but I still keep getting that notice. I have found – at least in my case – that Creator and Paint Shop Pro don’t seem to like each other, so whenever I use Creator I am sure that PSP is not running. I have even done a clean reinstall of Creator, but the problem with the black panel persists.

I also mentioned that this is not the first time that the black panels have occurred. I have made DVDs of previous vacations. I make DVDs as Christmas presents for my children and their families. I have been doing this for at least the last 4 or 5 years, perhaps a little longer. The only product I have used has been Roxio, but there has always been some problems associated with the product. The black panels is the one that seems to reoccur. I am now at the point where I am considering looking for different software.

So I write this to ask some general questions, not for specific suggestions about how to prevent the black panels from appearing in Creator.

I believe my video driver – the most recent version – is old, perhaps back to 2006, about the time I purchased the computer. If the old video driver is at least part of the cause, the what would be your recommendations regarding buying newer versions of Creator? How critical is the driver issue? Before I bought Creator 2009 should I have checked to see how current the latest driver was? For a product labeled 2009, how new should a video driver be?

The statement was made about closing programs that were not required to make Creator run. Isn’t this a bit drastic? Why should a person have to go to such extremes to make a product work? Granted (as I think I discovered with Paint Shop Pro) sometimes there are conflicts between programs and so one might need to be shut down in order to make the other work. But it shouldn’t have to be the individual user who needs do discover the conflicts through trial and error. Why can there be some information from Roxio about such conflicts, or perhaps a thread here in the forums?

What about the suggestion to delete the transitions? I don’t understand what is being said here. (No, I haven’t tried that.)

I’m stopping now because I am aware of the amount I have written. But, as you should be able to easily tell, I write from frustration. There are a lot of nice, convenient, and easy to use features in Creator 2009 as well as the previous versions I have used, but the frustration of doing the initial work only to run into problems at the very end is most unpleasant.

Well, thanks for reading my rants.

rufus

Never buy new software to try to fix a computer problem.

What computer do you have; please be specific and perhaps we can find new drivers for your video card/chip. Do you have a laptop or desktop. The less expensive way, if you have a desktop is to add or replace your video card. About a 15 minute process if you've never done it before.

Video editing is CPU intensive so if the program wants to use 75 % of your CPU time and you have other programs running, something needs to slow down. As you can probably guess, e-mail sudden arrival or anti-virus scans or anti-malware scans also take CPU time. The next time you are doing some video encoding, open tak manager and watch the performance to see just how much CPU time is being used. I shut down other programs even though I have an I7 processor. Why take the chance? As for conflicts; there are probably pretty few but there are thousand and perhaps millions of combinations of software package.

If you have an old video card/chip; it simply doesn't have the processing power to handle the 3D transitions. If you switch to softeare rendering, then your CPU takes that load. You might see somewhat of a longer processing time. In practice, hardware rendering with a poor video card/chip can often be slower than using the software CPU rendering.

Do you remember if you used any of the 3D (hardware rendering transitions? If not, then removing the transitions would probably not help.

Bottom line - a 4 year old computer with a old video card or chip will work properly with some limitations. You can minimize the limitations by doing as suggested.

Did I answer all your questions?

Thanks for your quick reply. Not only was it helpful, but it generated several more questions – if you don’t mind.

First, let me complete (I hope) the description of my computer. It is a Dell desktop E510 and the display adaptor is Radeon X600 256MB Hypermemory. As I wrote in the previous email, the other info about the computer is that it is 4 years old, is running XP media edition, Service Pack3, 2GB RAM, 3.2GHz Pentium D. My hard disc has 66 GB of free space. And, as far as I know, a year or so ago, at the prompting of Creator 2009, I downloaded and installed the most recent driver, which was dated 2006.

Next.

Never buy new software to try to fix a computer problem.

I seem to have been unclear here. No, I would never do that. I never thought I had a computer problem. The problems I was encountering happened when I was using past versions of Creator. As I said, I liked many features of Creator and was hoping that a newer version would fix some of the problems I was having.

if you have a desktop is to add or replace your video card. About a 15 minute process if you've never done it before.

To be honest, I definitely shy away from opening the computer’s case. My reluctance is based on a couple of problems, a long time ago, that were caused by whatever I did under the hood.

Video editing is CPU intensive so if the program wants to use 75 % of your CPU time and you have other programs running, something needs to slow down. As you can probably guess, e-mail sudden arrival or anti-virus scans or anti-malware scans also take CPU time. The next time you are doing some video encoding, open tak manager and watch the performance to see just how much CPU time is being used.

I have, in fact, often looked at task manager to view what was using resources. That, in part, was a reason for me not running Paint Shop Pro – and IE as well – when using Creator. I now occasionally check task manager just before, and sometimes during the use of Creator, In fact, I did just that earlier today when I started VideoWave (email closed, antivirus off) and tried again to produce a video with no black panels. The black panels returned again, but in different locations. Tried a second time: same result but black panels in still different locations.

If you have an old video card/chip; it simply doesn't have the processing power to handle the 3D transitions. If you switch to softeare rendering, then your CPU takes that load. You might see somewhat of a longer processing time. In practice, hardware rendering with a poor video card/chip can often be slower than using the software CPU rendering.

You used the term 3D transitions. I never really thought about them that way but, yes, I guess many do give the impression of 3D. However, almost all the transitions in most of the videos I make and burn (including the most recent) are dissolves – the default transitions from Slideshow Assistant - which don’t strike me as 3D. But more than just my impressions, is there an objective way to tell the difference between a 2D transition and a 3D transition?

Moreover, references to rendering are puzzling to me. After I read the posts and saw both “software rendering” and “hardware rendering” I realized that never thought about the difference between the two and, in fact, never knew there was a distinction. So I did a little web searching earlier today, but came away with the feeling that I had learned nothing. You say that

If you switch to softeare rendering, then your CPU takes that load.

From this, I assume that, by default, Creator uses software rendering? Am I correct in this assumption?

Another assumption is that hardware rendering doesn’t use the CPU. What does hardware rendering use?

You wrote

In practice, hardware rendering with a poor video card/chip can often be slower than using the software CPU rendering.

This raises another question. Do I have the option, using Creator 2009, to select software or hardware rendering? If so, how do I do that?

I appreciate your reading thus far. I will end with one last item that deals, I guess, with the video card. My wife's computer is over 9 years old. It is slow and often unresponsive. Our plans are, within the next couple of months, to buy a new computer for me and pass my current computer to her. Since I will continue to do this video thing, do you have suggestions about the video card in the next computer. One easy response is to get the top of the line offered. However, I know video cards can be expensive. Is there some recommendation that you can make in terms of minimum (rather than maximum) specifications of the video card that should go into the new computer?

Again, thank you for you reply and for considering the matters I have written in this posting.

rufus

This is from Creator 2010 but 2009 is the same.

Go to Tools and options

post-2743-061004900 1278613191.jpg

Recommendations for a graphics card? Any mid-range one will do (I used an X300 with 128 MB of RAM from ATI before I upgraded). Obviously, the more powerful the graphics, the faster it will render, but with the X300 I was just a shade faster that 1:1 (a one hour clip took about 55 minutes)

Whatever you do, don't opt for a 'built-in' graphics card - they use system RAM (which is slower than graphics RAM) as well as taking it away from the main system.

Also an important caveat. If the new box comes with Windows 7 - Creator 2009 will NOT work on that and you would have to get Creator 2010 (you could always install an older OS of course)

Edited by gi7omy

Just one more thing. If you select software rendering, then the only transitions you will see are those that can be rendered by the software. If you see hardware, the you will see all the transitions available.

As for the latest drivers, you looked only at the Dell site which is not updated very often.

go here. There is one from Feb. 2010. Read the small print; follow instructions.

Edited by sknis

I then realized that there was an important photo that I had omitted, so I added the photo, and a transition, to the VideoWave product and saved the new product. Opened the new product in MyDVD and previewed the result before burning. Now several of the photos had been replaced by black panels. I have since repeated those steps several times: open edited VideoWave in MyDVD, preview, see black panel instead of photo – and it’s not always the same photos. Sometimes a photo appears that used to be a black panel and sometimes a photo that had been viewed previously now is a black panel.

I think the one thing I did that most helped eliminate the black panels was to re-size the photo to closer to what is needed for DVD, 720x480. I proved this by bringing in about 100 photos all properly re-sized and one that was still large. The one large one would leave a blank panel every time I rendered the slideshow.

I use Paint Shop Pro to work on my images and to re-size the images for Creator 2009. When I re-size, I save as a different file so that I still have the original photo at the original size. Whatever program you use to re-size, be sure to check any boxes to keep the original aspect ration and resolution.

The statement was made about closing programs that were not required to make Creator run. Isn’t this a bit drastic? Why should a person have to go to such extremes to make a product work? Granted (as I think I discovered with Paint Shop Pro) sometimes there are conflicts between programs and so one might need to be shut down in order to make the other work. But it shouldn’t have to be the individual user who needs do discover the conflicts through trial and error. Why can there be some information from Roxio about such conflicts, or perhaps a thread here in the forums?

Each running program, whether it is running in the background or foreground, takes up some memory and processing power. Since Creator is requires a lot of processing power and memory usage, closing all unneeded programs allows Creator to use those resources. Especially close out any programs that routinely perform a task such as anti-virus, email, internet, screensavers, etc.

What about the suggestion to delete the transitions? I don’t understand what is being said here. (No, I haven’t tried that.

In my case, getting rid of the transitions did nothing to help my problem whether or not I was using hardware or software transitions.

I’m stopping now because I am aware of the amount I have written. But, as you should be able to easily tell, I write from frustration. There are a lot of nice, convenient, and easy to use features in Creator 2009 as well as the previous versions I have used, but the frustration of doing the initial work only to run into problems at the very end is most unpleasant.

I feel the same way. I have been using Roxio products back before they were even known as Roxio, and were basic CD audio and data burning programs. I like the features and ease of use, but each version has had some sort of odd problem on my system that had to be solved. A lot of times these forums have helped me solve the problem.

Edited by grandpabruce
Fixed to get response out of the quote.