roxio freeze ups

chiefjoe

Question

I am new to ROXIO CREATOR PRO. When I load a movie to edit the systems freezes up and the ability to edit is lost. Originally I had a marginal system to use. I purchased a new dual processor with 6 GB of DDR3 memory and it still is not up to the task. I installed SP2 and it still bogs down. The file is hours long. I position the time line to 8 minutes (the first place I need to edit) and I have to wait for half an hour for it to settle down and when I try to resume work the sound functions but the video is froze.

ANY IDEAS????

THANK YOU!!!!

11 answers to this question

Do you have Creator 2010 or Easy Media Creator 10? There is a huge difference between those and until we know which, we can't help a lot.

Also what OS are you using on the new machine, what is the source of the video - a lot more information is needed

I am new to ROXIO CREATOR PRO. When I load a movie to edit the systems freezes up and the ability to edit is lost. Originally I had a marginal system to use. I purchased a new dual processor with 6 GB of DDR3 memory and it still is not up to the task. I installed SP2 and it still bogs down. The file is hours long. I position the time line to 8 minutes (the first place I need to edit) and I have to wait for half an hour for it to settle down and when I try to resume work the sound functions but the video is froze.

ANY IDEAS????

THANK YOU!!!!

What do you mean by "the file is hours" long? Where did the file come from? Editing very long videos will often cause the program to seemingly hang. The video has to be first analyzed before you can do anything with it. What video card or graphics adaptor do you have? How much free space on your hard drive?

What do you mean by "the file is hours" long? - Shortest file in use is 105 minutes (1 hour 45 minutes)

Where did the file come from? - As stated above, the files come from a Nikon Video Camera

Editing very long videos will often cause the program to seemingly hang. - This may in fact be the case, I may have expectations above the capability of the app.

The video has to be first analyzed before you can do anything with it. What video card or graphics adaptor do you have? - The weakest part of this system is I am using the integrated video card. I may upgrade it, but the performance to date has been too little to desire sinking too much more money into the pit.

How much free space on your hard drive? - a half TB (550 GB) Swap File of 5.885 GB

And as stated above 6GB of DDR 3 RAM.

Hope this helps in some way.

Joe P

Edited by chiefjoe

Keep in mind the following

A standard DVD holds ONE hour of good quality video - go past that and quality deghrades and also if you try to cram too much on (in separate chapters) you will have menu problems

Rendering speed is mainly down to the graphics - an onboard chipset normally doesn't have the processing power to cut it. You could try software render and see if that improves matters

chiefjoe, open Video Wave (Edit Video Advanced) and go to the top menu. Select tools, options and put the dot next to software render. Try editing again. Even if the program gave you the option to do hardware rendering, your on-board chip just won't be enough. Also. go to Windows and set the performance to best performance and away from best appearance.

Oops I just saw you got that advice already. :)

Edited by sknis

ANY IDEAS????

THANK YOU!!!!

What type of file does your camera produce? Is it an AVCHD camera?

I had a similar problem with sound but no video play in the videowave editor when I got my HD camera.

It produces.mts file extensions. The way this was explained to me is that the .mts AVCHD files are not complete and will not edit properly because they are based on a 24 keyframe progression, with the first frame being complete, and the following frames being simply a code description of how the next frame should differ slightly from the keyframe. The cycle repeats every 24 frames. The computer then interprets the difference in the code and strings the info together so we can watch the movie.

However, since each individual frame in the original .mts file is not fully rendered, many computers lack the power to edit the .mts.

You might want to try converting the video into another file type, like mpeg 2 at 30 fps as an intermediary which should allow you to edit if this is the case.Doing this should fully render each frame, though it will take some time.

Also, another workaround that may help, try editing or "clipping" your video with the converter into smaller segments before you covert it using the "in" and "out " function, then simply post the clips you converted onto the timeline in the videowave editor and render the already edited product.

These may help you work around the issue.

Edited by slowbow

Keep in mind the following

A standard DVD holds ONE hour of good quality video - go past that and quality deghrades and also if you try to cram too much on (in separate chapters) you will have menu problems

Rendering speed is mainly down to the graphics - an onboard chipset normally doesn't have the processing power to cut it. You could try software render and see if that improves matters

THANK YOU!!!

I appreciate you time, attention and mainly your sharing your knowledge.

Joe P

chiefjoe, open Video Wave (Edit Video Advanced) and go to the top menu. Select tools, options and put the dot next to software render. Try editing again. Even if the program gave you the option to do hardware rendering, your on-board chip just won't be enough. Also. go to Windows and set the performance to best performance and away from best appearance.

Oops I just saw you got that advice already. :)

I wish to reiterate my gratitude to you and the rest of the experts. I know you are spending your time to give the advice to us.

THANK YOU!!!!!

What type of file does your camera produce? Is it an AVCHD camera?

I had a similar problem with sound but no video play in the videowave editor when I got my HD camera.

It produces.mts file extensions. The way this was explained to me is that the .mts AVCHD files are not complete and will not edit properly because they are based on a 24 keyframe progression, with the first frame being complete, and the following frames being simply a code description of how the next frame should differ slightly from the keyframe. The cycle repeats every 24 frames. The computer then interprets the difference in the code and strings the info together so we can watch the movie.

However, since each individual frame in the original .mts file is not fully rendered, many computers lack the power to edit the .mts.

You might want to try converting the video into another file type, like mpeg 2 at 30 fps as an intermediary which should allow you to edit if this is the case.Doing this should fully render each frame, though it will take some time.

Also, another workaround that may help, try editing or "clipping" your video with the converter into smaller segments before you covert it using the "in" and "out " function, then simply post the clips you converted onto the timeline in the videowave editor and render the already edited product.

I am most impressed with the JEWELS who offer their expertise at the forum.

THANK YOU!!!!!

These may help you work around the issue.

Please consider this thread closed. I am going to purchase a high performance video card and will try again. If this solves it your won't hear from me on this line again. If it persists I may darken your door(s) again.

THANK YOU ALL!!!!