• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
doz19

flac file

Question

i tried to drag the flac file to my itunes playlist and it didn't drag, how can i convert it to mp3 on a mac?

7 answers to this question

Toast cannot encode MP3. You can search for an application that converts Flac to mp3 or you can use Toast to convert the audio to AIFF (uncompressed) and then have iTunes convert it to mp3.

ok so is converting it to a AIFF file easier? how do i do it?

To begin with set the iTunes import preference to use its MP3 encoder. This is done in the General tab of iTunes Preferences. Click the Import Settings button and choose MP3 encoder. Close the preferences window.

Select Audio Files as the format in the Toast Convert window. Add your FLAC tracks. Click the red button.Instead of choosing AIFF as the format I now suggest choosing Apple Lossless and putting a check mark in the box next to "Open iTunes when done." Now click the Choose button. Toast converts the audio which will be copied into iTunes after the conversion is done. I'm not certain if iTunes will automatically convert the Apple Lossless tracks to MP3. If not you need to select them in iTunes and choose Create MP3 version in the iTunes Advanced menu.

When this is all done you will have multiple copies of these tracks. Toast will save a copy of the Apple Lossless tracks outside of the iTunes folder, iTunes will copy a duplicate set to the iTunes folder. You may also have a Apple Lossless version in the iTunes Music folder along with the MP3 version. So you might want to trash the Apple Lossless versions after this is all done.

the only format in toast i saw was audio cd not audio file and the red button is to record so im a bit lost on this part!

the only format in toast i saw was audio cd not audio file and the red button is to record so im a bit lost on this part!

There are five icons across the top of Toast. From left they are Data, Audio, Video, Copy and Convert. Click the Convert tab to see the option to convert audio or video files to other formats. The red button in the convert window opens the window where you choose the convert setting. The conversion is saved as files on your hard drive and does not burn a disc.

weird there's no convert tab in my toast only data audio video and copy on the left

My guess is you don't have Toast 9. If you have an earlier version of Toast there should be an export button at the bottom of the Toast window when you're in the Audio window.