savvie

Vhs2Dvd Software Installed But Won't Open!

Question

Way back in July 2009 grandpa bruce and Jim Hardin helped me with a problem I was having with the USB capture Device. For a variety of reasons since then I never proceded with the software and since then have graduated to Windows 7 and now to an iMac.

However, have obtained my son's old Windows XP PC however so that I can use my original software which I have installed on it. Have downloaded the Roxio SP2 update too. However, the programme will not open! The white on red Roxio device screens for 5 seconds and that's as far as anything goes - no reason given or any problem mentioned.

Have reinstalled the software 3 times all with the same result!No problem with installation of software in 2009!

I am now anxious to edit all my VHS stuff so can the experts please help?

Way back in July 2009 grandpa bruce and Jim Hardin helped me with a problem I was having with the USB capture Device. For a variety of reasons since then I never proceded with the software and since then have graduated to Windows 7 and now to an iMac.

However, have obtained my son's old Windows XP PC however so that I can use my original software which I have installed on it. Have downloaded the Roxio SP2 update too. However, the programme will not open! The white on red Roxio device screens for 5 seconds and that's as far as anything goes - no reason given or any problem mentioned.

Have reinstalled the software 3 times all with the same result!No problem with installation of software in 2009!

I am now anxious to edit all my VHS stuff so can the experts please help?

I will guess that you have the 1.1.124 version (based on Creator 2009)…

Try starting one of the individual applications from your Start Menu:

There was a KB Article about the Main App not starting, but I cannot find it at the moment…

I will guess that you have the 1.1.124 version (based on Creator 2009)…

Try starting one of the individual applications from your Start Menu:

There was a KB Article about the Main App not starting, but I cannot find it at the moment…

Yes it is the 1.1.124 version - from your post 'What version do I have' I recognise the graphics you have shown.That's as far as I got in 2009!

I have tried to open the software through the 'Start' menu rather than a double click on the shortcut on the desktop but again no joy! You mention 'one of the individual applications' but forgive me I'm not sure what you mean?

Yes it is the 1.1.124 version - from your post 'What version do I have' I recognise the graphics you have shown.That's as far as I got in 2009!

I have tried to open the software through the 'Start' menu rather than a double click on the shortcut on the desktop but again no joy! You mention 'one of the individual applications' but forgive me I'm not sure what you mean?

Sorry that does not work in that version...

Please clear up something.

Do you have both Creator 2009 and V2D installed on your PC?

I ask because the 2nd on you install will destroy both of them :o

Otherwise, about the only thing left is the Clean Install: XP

Sorry that does not work in that version...

Please clear up something.

Do you have both Creator 2009 and V2D installed on your PC?

I ask because the 2nd on you install will destroy both of them :o

Otherwise, about the only thing left is the Clean Install: XP

No, I have never had Creator 2009, just the purchased disk for V2D.

As reported before the same software installed AOK in early 2009 but then I had trouble with the Data Capture device which eventually, inexplicably 'came right!' For a variety of work related issues I never progressed from there until now!

Looking around the discussion groups site it appears that I am not the only one to have struck this maddening inconvenience which in a curious way is somewhat reassuring in that I guess I can claim that I am not the cause of my problem! Cold comfort I know but for a lot of us 'newbies' but let's be honest, it is often the operator that is at fault and not the software.

Thanks for the suggestion re the 'clean install' - I am hoping this may solve this perplexing problem!

No, I have never had Creator 2009, just the purchased disk for V2D.

As reported before the same software installed AOK in early 2009 but then I had trouble with the Data Capture device which eventually, inexplicably 'came right!' For a variety of work related issues I never progressed from there until now!

Looking around the discussion groups site it appears that I am not the only one to have struck this maddening inconvenience which in a curious way is somewhat reassuring in that I guess I can claim that I am not the cause of my problem! Cold comfort I know but for a lot of us 'newbies' but let's be honest, it is often the operator that is at fault and not the software.

Thanks for the suggestion re the 'clean install' - I am hoping this may solve this perplexing problem!

Clean/Install process has not changed anything - programme will not open.

Have redirected the problem to Roxio for their input but.....

Clean/Install process has not changed anything - programme will not open.

Have redirected the problem to Roxio for their input but.....

Keep us updated!

Of course I'll keep you updated - hopefully some problem solving procedures will eventuate.

I sent my problem to Roxio and their reply was

after reviewing your notes, I understand that you cannot open your Easy VHS to DVD wherein red roxio device

appears for 5 seconds and disappears. In resolving your concern you may use the steps below:

1. Make sure your computer is up to date.

2. Check if Microsoft .net framework 3.5 SP1 is installed in your add or remove programs (XP); programs and

features (Vista/Win 7), if not use the link below to install it.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=ab99342f-5d1a-413d-8319-81da479ab0d7

2. Install the update for Easy VHS to DVD using the link below.

http://www.roxio.com/enu/support/easy-vhs-to-dvd/software_updates.html

3. Reinstall Easy VHS to DVD.

If you have any questions about the suggestions above or the issue is not resolved, please update this

webticket with the steps you have tried and any additional information that may help

I replied that again I uninstalled V2D and SP2 - yes my PC has the Microsoft 3.5 SP1 already installed - re-installed SP2 and then V2D as instructed. Informed them that no shortcut was placed on the Desktop so tried to open the program from the Start menu unsuccessfully as I was informed the V2D folder was empty. Checked the Add/Remove programs folder and the V2D was listed all 600plus MB of it! So sadly, I haven't really made any progress at all so before I do anything further I have updated Roxio with the foregoing and sought some comment from them but have received no other suggestions or comment as yet!

Confirm – you still have XP w/SP3 applied?

You can capture from the Roxio USB device using Windows Movie Maker?

You have NO OTHER Roxio software installed?

Edited by Jim_Hardin

Confirm – you still have XP w/SP3 applied?

You can capture from the Roxio USB device using Windows Movie Maker?

You have NO OTHER Roxio software installed?

Yes, XP with SP3 applied.

I must confess the Windows Movie Maker suggestion never occurred to me and I have just tried it- result is the 'new hardware wizard cannot install the USB 2861 device because the wizard cannot find the necessary software' which we know IS installed on the computer although (as per the last post) in trying to open the program previously, I couldn't and got the message 'the V2D folder was empty!'

I have no other Roxio software installed and never have had!

I think I am starting to see 2 separate issues emerging…

One is that the drivers for the device were not correctly install and that will be an easy fix with your version.

But it seems that the software is getting disabled along the way and that would need to be addressed to maintain a working software…

The software can be trashed if you have an over-zealous A/V or Registry cleaner at work. If you run either or both of these, check settings and make sure you have Sonic/Roxio set to be ignored.

Driver Check: Download This file but don't install yet.

Win-Pause - Hardware tab – Device Manager button – expand the Sound, video and game controllers group.

Now plug the device in and look in that group for one of both of these new listings:

Delete both of them!

Remove the device and reboot. After the PC starts plug in the device and Cancel anything Windows wants to do about the device!!! (XP will install the wrong driver if not stopped and it will never work!)

Run that driver download.

I would reboot again and test the device using Windows Movie Maker. If it works one more Clean Install should do the trick for the software…

It's a lot to do and you may want to print this out, but I have my fingers crossed :lol:

I think I am starting to see 2 separate issues emerging…

One is that the drivers for the device were not correctly install and that will be an easy fix with your version.

But it seems that the software is getting disabled along the way and that would need to be addressed to maintain a working software…

The software can be trashed if you have an over-zealous A/V or Registry cleaner at work. If you run either or both of these, check settings and make sure you have Sonic/Roxio set to be ignored.

Driver Check: Download This file but don't install yet.

Win-Pause - Hardware tab – Device Manager button – expand the Sound, video and game controllers group.

Now plug the device in and look in that group for one of both of these new listings:

Delete both of them!

Remove the device and reboot. After the PC starts plug in the device and Cancel anything Windows wants to do about the device!!! (XP will install the wrong driver if not stopped and it will never work!)

Run that driver download.

I would reboot again and test the device using Windows Movie Maker. If it works one more Clean Install should do the trick for the software…

It's a lot to do and you may want to print this out, but I have my fingers crossed :lol:

I'm going to be absent from the PC for a couple of days but will follow your advice then!

I really appreciate your help and like you, I'm keeping my fingers crossed - we can't let it beat us after all this!

GREAT NEWS - and not so good!

Followed your instructions faithfully and it worked a treat in Moviemaker. I copied a 30 sec segment off a VHS tape created in 1988 - quality looked superb (tape quality obviously hasn't deteriorated) in the Moviemaker monitor, sound present (a bit muffled but audible). As an aside, it's a 3 hour tape and to keep the quality I guess it's going to take a bigger HD than the 24GB available on this computer!

Step by step this is what followed with the Clean/Install that followed.

Deleted V2D . Didn't know whether to delete the USB device program which in ADD/REMOVE was listed separately - rightly or wrongly, opted not to!! I thought the 'Clean' process would remove the Driver file you told me to download but it didn't so left that installed also. Similarly with the SP2 service pack.

Reinstalled V2D - again no shortcut placed on the desktop. Look in START menu and program not listed. Check in PROGRAM files and yes it's listed with all its folders also. Cannot open the program by 'conventional' means - no DESKTOP icon and no listing in START files! I confirm that SP2 and the Driver files are still installed with icons on the DESKTOP.

Tried again to emulate the Moviemaker sequence just in case you asked me - same result as first encountered - 'the 'new hardware wizard cannot install the USB 2861 device because the wizard cannot find the necessary software' and thus that procedure now doesn't work either!

I guess I have done something wrongly! So close and yet....!

GREAT NEWS - and not so good!

Followed your instructions faithfully and it worked a treat in Moviemaker. I copied a 30 sec segment off a VHS tape created in 1988 - quality looked superb (tape quality obviously hasn't deteriorated) in the Moviemaker monitor, sound present (a bit muffled but audible). As an aside, it's a 3 hour tape and to keep the quality I guess it's going to take a bigger HD than the 24GB available on this computer!

Step by step this is what followed with the Clean/Install that followed.

Deleted V2D . Didn't know whether to delete the USB device program which in ADD/REMOVE was listed separately - rightly or wrongly, opted not to!! I thought the 'Clean' process would remove the Driver file you told me to download but it didn't so left that installed also. Similarly with the SP2 service pack.

Reinstalled V2D - again no shortcut placed on the desktop. Look in START menu and program not listed. Check in PROGRAM files and yes it's listed with all its folders also. Cannot open the program by 'conventional' means - no DESKTOP icon and no listing in START files! I confirm that SP2 and the Driver files are still installed with icons on the DESKTOP.

Tried again to emulate the Moviemaker sequence just in case you asked me - same result as first encountered - 'the 'new hardware wizard cannot install the USB 2861 device because the wizard cannot find the necessary software' and thus that procedure now doesn't work either!

I guess I have done something wrongly! So close and yet....!

The primary purpose of those instructions were to get the Capture Device up and running!That part seemed to work.

Part II is getting the software to work. That is where the Clean Install, Prep Steps as well as the info from Roxio about separately installing .NET 3.5 & its' SP1 come in.

Keep in mind what I said about A/V and Registry cleaners, they MUST be turned off!

There are a lot of things to do so move slowly and thoroughly through them!

FYI the Roxio people have kindly reported back to me in between our last posts.

There's probably nothing new in their report for you Jim but I reproduce it for it may be of benefit to other users.

'quote'

After reviewing your notes, I understand that you cannot open Easy VHS to DVD after installation and following steps provided by the previous agent.

We appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

Please check and follow the steps below so that we can continue resolving the issue.

Step 1

Please make sure that your computer meets all the basic requirements for Easy VHS to DVD.

Easy VHS to DVD system requirements

Knowledgebase Article : 000222CR

http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/content/000222CR&PARAMS=set-locale=en

Step 2

Make sure that there are are no previous versions of Roxio and Sonic software installed on your computer. You

may perform a clean uninstallation. The article applies to Easy VHS to DVD as well.

Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)

Knowledgebase Article : 000207CR

http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/content/kb/WinOnCD/000207CR&PARAMS=set-locale=en

Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)

Knowledgebase Article : 000206CR

http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/content/000206CR

Step 3

Update your computer.

Preparing your computer for installing Roxio products

Knowledgebase Article : 000080GN

http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/content/000080GN&PARAMS=set-locale=en

Step 4

Disable your startup applications using MSCONFIG. This will disable any unnecessary background or system tray

applications from loading.

* Go to Start -> Run/Search Bar. Type 'msconfig' (without quotes) then click OK.

* Select the Startup tab.

* Click the Disable All button.

* Click the Apply button, then click the OK button.

* Click the Restart button.

To reverse this at the end of installation, go back into MSCONFIG and select Enable All and restart (that can

be done once installation is complete).

Note: Some anti virus/spyware programs may not be disabled using the steps listed above. You may need to

check with your anti virus/spyware vendor on how to temporarily disable them.

Step 5

Re-install Easy VHS to DVD

If you are installing from a physical disc, please try to copy the content of the disc to a folder on your hard drive

then install from the hard drive. To do this:

* Create a new folder on your Desktop.

* Go to Start -> My Computer, then right-click on the Creator installer disc and select Explore.

* Select ALL of the files in the installer window and copy to the folder you just created.

To install from the folder or from the saved file on your desktop:

- Right-click on the setup package and choose Properties.

- Click on the Compatibility tab in the Properties window.

- In the Compatibility mode section, check the box that is labeled Run the program in compatibility mode for:

- Click the drop down arrow then choose Windows XP SP3.

- Click OK to save the changes.

- Re-run the Easy VHS to DVD setup package.

Step 6

Update your software. Go to http://www.roxio.com/enu/support/easy-vhs-to-dvd/software_updates.html.

- If you are using the Windows 7 compatible version, download Service Pack 1

- If you are using the older version, not compatible with Windows 7, download the Service pack 2

Step 7

Improve software performance.

Improving Creator and Easy VHS to DVD performance

Knowledgebase Article : 000103CR

http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/content/kb/Creator/000103CR&PARAMS=set-locale=en

Perform maintenance the Microsoft way. Scan the computer for any malwares as well.:

-- http://www.microsoft.com/atwork/maintenance/speed.aspx

'quote'

I am going back to start the sequence again although I'm sure I comply with Steps 1-3.

In view of your last comments do you want me to delete and re-install the NET 3.5 and its SP1 - I didn't do so before because both are installed on the PC?

There is no Registry Cleaner installed on the PC - the A/V, what and where do I check for this?

It goes without saying that I appreciate your patience and help!

A/V = anti virus software ~ Norton, McAfee, etc.

Yes, uninstall the .NET 3.5 & SP1 for it. Only install the .NET 3.5 though… There was an SP1 download from MS that caused problems & V2D will install what is needed…

Herewith is a copy of my reply to the good people at Roxio who have enquired as to whether the problem has been solved which I trust is pretty much self explanatory.

I'm truly disappointed that I cannot get the software to work as it was intended and have suggested perhaps I should 'quit whilst I'm ahead'. Perhaps it's taking the easy way out but despite your best efforts and Roxio's input, I cannot make the thing work!

I have invited Roxio to comment further and naturally wonder whether you have any other comment/suggestions?

My reply to Roxio

'quote'

In conjunction with your kind support and generous help from Jim_Hardin on the Discussion Group forum the following procedures have been undertaken.

*Uninstalled V2D

Uninstalled MicrosoftNET 3.5 and SP1

*Installed latest DirectX SDK (June 10)

*Clean/Install and eliminate all Roxio/Sonic files

*Install Microsoft NET 3.5 without SP1

*Attempt to reinstall V2D with Capture Device in USB port at back of PC - would not install because 'new hardware cannot find the software'

*Disconnected Video Capture Device and install software - successful although again no shortcut on the DESKTOP

*Attempt to open programme through START sequence again unsuccessful as 'V2D folder empty'

*Un-install V2D software and attempt re-install, this time copying the files to a folder on the DESKTOP

*Open folder but none of the files contained will open the programme

*Revert to procedure suggested earlier by Jim_Hardin - reinstall driver for Video Capture Device and open in MovieMaker

*Successful! VHS tape downloads with sound - perfect!

After all the to-ing and fro-ing I guess all is not lost in that I CAN use Moviemaker to download my tapes and perform the edit function and add titles, music etc etc. Why the programme will not install and let me use it as the software was intended however is most frustrating and completely baffles me but perhaps I should 'quit' whilst I'm ahead!!

I welcome your comments and input in view of the above and thanks again for your patience and help!

'quote'

If it were mine, I think I would have bitten through my pencil by now :huh:

Let’s see if there is a backdoor to this…

In Windows Explorer go to Program Files\Roxio Easy VHS to DVD\Roxio Central4\ and locate the RoxioCentralFx.exe file. Right Click and OPEN it.

post-39730-069046500 1279449748.jpg

That is the main program interface.

Another to try is Program Files\Roxio Easy VHS to DVD\VideoUI\ and open the VideoWave11.exe:

post-39730-097631200 1279449750.jpg

This is the Editor and from within it you can Import and jump to MyDVD (the Authoring program)

Let us know if any of those work - The main interface would be the best but we can deal with less…

There is always the Re-Format HDD option :) But there are a couple alternatives we can explore before that one :lol:

I can assure you that on occasions I have contemplated far more dramatic action than biting through the pencil but thankfully, restraint has won the day, so far!!

Have been into Windows Explorer - Program Files\Roxio Easy VHS to DVD\Roxio Central4\ but the only file listed in the right hand pane is PLUGINS, nothing else! So cannot advance this suggestion. Using the SEARCH option, the RoxioCentralFx.exe file is not detected on the computer!

The other suggestion - 'Program Files\Roxio Easy VHS to DVD\VideoUI\ and open the VideoWave11.exe: I carried out but when clicking on VIDEOWAV11 a message ' There are insufficient graphics capabilities for the application to run. This can be caused by the following, your video card driver may not fully support DirectX 9.0. Check to see if an updated driver is available for your card.'

Now, this is territory in which I am completely unfamiliar although I would point out that I downloaded DirectX SDK (June2010) as reported earlier and which shows in my ADD/REMOVE Programmes folder! How does that fit with the DirectX9.0 reference aforementioned.

I am reluctant to go further without your comments as I feel I could get into trouble!

Just a statement of fact which you may be able to explain (if pertinent) - my original complaint that 'on clicking on the DESKTOP shortcut, the Roxio device would display for 5 seconds or so' has never been repeated in all the procedures we have instituted since! The DESKTOP shortcut has never been installed following each installation either! Bizarre or easily explained?

Roxio's programs require DirectX 9.0C If not present, it will install it… Actually it would be prudent to un-install your DirectX 9 as it may be corrupted.

Then download and install THIS one.

Another regular suggested making sure your MSXML 4.0 Services are up to date with their SP3. Here is a link MS.

You must be able to run your screen at 1024 X 768, no cheating with either number. ;) Check on that, but otherwise, let this message go for now.

I can no longer find DIRECTX 9.0 on the computer - it was there but I assume it was 'deleted' when I installed DIRECTX SDK (2010), which I did at Roxio's prompt to 'update' to the latest version.

In this event I assume I should delete the latter and then proceed with your other recommended sequences?

Yes, my screen is running at 1024 X 768.

Subsequent to the above, the Roxio people have asked me to send them the DXDIAG folder which I will do.

I am perplexed though, for contrary to my advice to you, I see listed in the SYSTEM INFORMATION the DIRECTX version is listed as DIRECTX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

I'm lost!!

Just to let you know, I have sent the DXDiag file to Roxio but have had no reply as yet!

Still no contact from Roxio - have emailed them today enquiring whether they have any further comment to make!