• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Multi Session DVD in DVD Builder

joto2036

Question

22 answers to this question

Guest mlpasley
Hey, one more question... what determines the order in which titles are played from the main menu? Is it the order in which they were added to the production or the physical place they occupy on the menu? I ask in case I decide to move the thumbnails around after adding the titles to the project. :)

Thanks!

The order is determined by the order in which they are added to the production. You can move the thumbnails around, but it won't affect the playing order.

And you'd better pop back in here after the baby is born and give us the 'baby specs' and how you're doing. :huh: I don't want to wait 2 months to find out everything is ok with you.

The order is determined by the order in which they are added to the production. You can move the thumbnails around, but it won't affect the playing order.

Good to know!

And you'd better pop back in here after the baby is born and give us the 'baby specs' and how you're doing. :) I don't want to wait 2 months to find out everything is ok with you.

I promise, as soon as I can crawl out of bed and to the keyboard, I'll pop in between feedings.

But I don't think I"ll be worrying about my movies for a while...! :huh:

Hello!

Just dropping in to say that baby Gemma was born right on schedule - July 5th at 8am. She weighed in at 8 pounds, 14 ounces. Both mother and daughter are doing fine, but are in desperate need of sleep :)

Hope to 'see' you all sometime in the near future!

Joanne

You're sure right James. I just forgot to answer the basic question. And instead just went about suggesting what to do to to help the OP get what they wanted. Thanks

Frank....

Hi,

Thanks for all of the replies.

I wasn't referring to a multi-session movie. I just wanted to combine several video clips on one DVD rather than just put one 300 MB video clip on one DVD.

I do this now on a stand alone DVD Recorder. This way I can vary the length of the video recordings (video clips) up to 6 hours on a DVD. I just thought the quality of the recordings might be better if I recorded the video clips using DVD Builder, which would probably limit the total length to about one hour.

Thanks.

VideoWave works really well. I first edit individual segments (about 24 minutes for the project that I'm doing) in VideoWave. Then I go to DVDBuilder and add the .dmsm files that VideoWave made in the order that I want them to play. I customize the menu with background, fonts, colors and thumbnails and then burn an ISO file. If it's to my liking, I go ahead and burn the DVD.

I'm glad I stumbled on to this post...

This sounds like what I am looking to accomplish. I got tired of working with the entire contents of a miniDV tape, only to find that my project was too big to be burned to one DVD and decided to break it up into monthly segments and save each as a Videowave production. Then I can put as many months (productions) as will fit onto one DVD, and put the following month on the next one. I haven't assembled the first DVD in DVD Builder yet, but I'm wondering:

Assuming that each month is a different title on the main menu, will they play continuously one after the other, once you start the first, like they do when there are multiple chapters?

Also, I have an ISO file-incompatible brain... for some reason, the concept confuses me. So:

1. Once you burn the ISO file, how do you view it before burning a DVD? I've already wasted a few DVDs that I decided to redo once I viewed them. I was going to burn them to a DVD+RW, but does an actual burn to disk take longer than burning an ISO file? And if I want to reuse the DVD+RW, is the quality of the recording compromised?

2. Once the ISO file is burned, does it contain all the information needed to make copies - meaning can I remove all the video and audio files from my computer (I have them all on CDs and DVDs), but still burn a copy of the production from just the ISO file?

Sorry for barging in to the topic with more questions... I was hoping to find someone had already asked the same things, but so far this is as close as I've gotten!

Thanks!

Joanne

Hi,

Thanks for all of the replies.

I wasn't referring to a multi-session movie. I just wanted to combine several video clips on one DVD rather than just put one 300 MB video clip on one DVD.

I do this now on a stand alone DVD Recorder. This way I can vary the length of the video recordings (video clips) up to 6 hours on a DVD. I just thought the quality of the recordings might be better if I recorded the video clips using DVD Builder, which would probably limit the total length to about one hour.

Thanks.

You can combine several video clips on one DVD in DVD Builder. You can have them play continuously as one movie or have each clip as a separate title and select the clip to play.

1) Play all clips as one movie. Click "Add New Title" and then select the clip you want as the initial video. The selected clip will create a thumbnail on the Menu page. To add other clips, click on the thumbnail on the menu page and the "Add to Selected Title" becomes enabled. Click on the option and then select the next file to add. You can add more then one file by holding down the CTRL key and selected video clips.

2) To add clips each as a separate Title, use the "Add New Title" option to add the video clips. Each new title will appear as its own thumbnail on the menu page. When you go to burn, you can select to have control play the next title after it finishes playing the selected title or have control jump back to the Menu page.

This is a quick outline of how to put several video clips on one DVD. There are more options but this might be enough to get you started. For best quality, you should keep the total time of the video to 1 hour or less.

I'm glad I stumbled on to this post...

This sounds like what I am looking to accomplish. I got tired of working with the entire contents of a miniDV tape, only to find that my project was too big to be burned to one DVD and decided to break it up into monthly segments and save each as a Videowave production. Then I can put as many months (productions) as will fit onto one DVD, and put the following month on the next one. I haven't assembled the first DVD in DVD Builder yet, but I'm wondering:

Assuming that each month is a different title on the main menu, will they play continuously one after the other, once you start the first, like they do when there are multiple chapters?

Also, I have an ISO file-incompatible brain... for some reason, the concept confuses me. So:

1. Once you burn the ISO file, how do you view it before burning a DVD? I've already wasted a few DVDs that I decided to redo once I viewed them. I was going to burn them to a DVD+RW, but does an actual burn to disk take longer than burning an ISO file? And if I want to reuse the DVD+RW, is the quality of the recording compromised?

2. Once the ISO file is burned, does it contain all the information needed to make copies - meaning can I remove all the video and audio files from my computer (I have them all on CDs and DVDs), but still burn a copy of the production from just the ISO file?

Sorry for barging in to the topic with more questions... I was hoping to find someone had already asked the same things, but so far this is as close as I've gotten!

Thanks!

Joanne

1)Once you have created an ISO file, you can use the program Image Loader to create a virtual DVD drive and then load the ISO file into it to test it. You can also do an actual burn to a DVD+RW using Disc Copier to burn the ISO file. First creating the iso file and then burning the iso file to a DVD using DiscCopier does take a bit longer but many of think is more reliablesince the rendering process become 2 independent operations. Reuse of a RW DVD has nothing to do with quality except that RW DVD will eventually fail and they should not be used for permanent burns.

2)Actually first creating the iso file is an easy method of making copies of a movie. The iso file is an image of the DVD. Until your are certain that the completed movie exactly what you want and you will not make any more changes, you could erase your source files (as long as you have backups on CDs and DVDs). One you have created an iso file, you cannot make any changes to the iso file. If you want to make changes to your production you will have to create a new iso file.

1. Once you burn the ISO file, how do you view it before burning a DVD?

Under Tools > Extras & Utilities, click on Disk Image Loader. It will help you create a virtual drive that will play the ISO files.

I've already wasted a few DVDs that I decided to redo once I viewed them. I was going to burn them to a DVD+RW, but does an actual burn to disk take longer than burning an ISO file? And if I want to reuse the DVD+RW, is the quality of the recording compromised?
I always burn to ISO first, never directly to disk. My new burner can then burn the ISO to DVD in under 15 minutes. I reuse -RW/+RW and have not noticed a problem . . . . so far but then I am rather new to this. No, I DON'T use RW media for permanent storage. Just for testing and shuttling stuff around.

Yes. You can burn from the ISO file again and again. Once I'm through working on a project, I get everything off my C drive and onto external hard drives and disks.

Good luck, Joanne

Guest mlpasley

Hi, Joanne,

There is an option under Advanced when you go to burn that allows you to 'play next title' so that the movies will play continuously rather than going back to the main movie.

1. If you want to preview the DVD on your DVD player, I'd suggest you use a DVD RW. And, of course, you can always 'preview' the entire movie in DVD Builder. It should take the same amount of time to burn the DVD RW as to make an .iso file. In fact, you can do both at the same time if you want. The .iso file is easily deleted if you decide to change the movie.

A DVD RW shouldn't lose 'quality' over several burns, but you cannot write to it forever. Once you've got the movie you want, burn it to a DVD R.

2. Yes. The .iso file contains everything you need to burn the DVD. It's an 'image' of the files to be burned to the DVD. If you're certain that you don't need the original files for future editing, they can be deleted.

I'd suggest that you take one of those segments and make a test production with DVD Builder. A small production won't take long to make and you'll understand the process better once you've burned your test production to a DVD and an 'image file' (.iso).

Guest mlpasley

WEDNESDAY! The baby is due on Wednesday? :) You're definitely running out of time.

The first time you burn a DVD it is going to be longer because the program has to encode the file for a DVD. I frequently start the encoding process before I head for bed and let the computer do it's work by itself.

There are no limits to the questions you can ask.

I'd suggest that you keep the DVDs simple. For family videos, chapters are almost a waste of time. The family is going to watch the movie from beginning to end anyway.

One thing that works well for family movies is marking chapters, but unchecking the Display chapter menus. People can then use the DVD player remote to fast forward through the chapters if they are looking for a particular event.

It's better to get those movies onto DVDs in a simple format than not to get them on DVDs at all.

Hi,

Is it possible to make a multi-session DVD in DVD Builder?

I have one video file that is approximately 300 MB and I would like to add additional video clips to DVD Builder before I start burning.

Thanks

I assume you have not done anything yet in DVD Builder, even with your first video. Is that correct ? I suggest that you use the Videowave program and build or place your videos in that program and get it all set up the way you want it, with any options, and then save that production. The go to DVDbuilder program and import that production into it and make any chages or edits you want there and then burn to a DVD disc. Hope that is where you are at or waht you might be wanting to accomplish.

Frank...

I assume you have not done anything yet in DVD Builder, even with your first video. Is that correct ? I suggest that you use the Videowave program and build or place your videos in that program and get it all set up the way you want it, with any options, and then save that production. The go to DVDbuilder program and import that production into it and make any chages or edits you want there and then burn to a DVD disc. Hope that is where you are at or waht you might be wanting to accomplish.

Frank...

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the reply.

No, I haven't done anything with the first video yet. I'll probably be taking some more videos over the 4th of July. I would like to collect enough video clips to fill up a DVD before burning it in DVD Builder.

I haven't used the Videowave Program yet, so I'll have to get started to get familiar with it.

Thanks

Hello!

Just dropping in to say that baby Gemma was born right on schedule - July 5th at 8am. She weighed in at 8 pounds, 14 ounces. Both mother and daughter are doing fine, but are in desperate need of sleep :)

Hope to 'see' you all sometime in the near future!

Joanne

Congratulations to your whole family and I wish them great luck and patience (and some sleep.) :huh:

When do you think you will be teaching Gemma how to do Videos and posts? :D I bet she will be doing so faster than you think.

Hi, Joanne,

There is an option under Advanced when you go to burn that allows you to 'play next title' so that the movies will play continuously rather than going back to the main movie.

Doh! I found that one right after posting... silly me and my sleep deprived brain!

It should take the same amount of time to burn the DVD RW as to make an .iso file. In fact, you can do both at the same time if you want. The .iso file is easily deleted if you decide to change the movie.

But once the ISO file is created, does it take less time to copy to DVD? When sisterscape said 15 minutes, I got excited! :huh:

2. Yes. The .iso file contains everything you need to burn the DVD. It's an 'image' of the files to be burned to the DVD. If you're certain that you don't need the original files for future editing, they can be deleted.

Hooray, I think I'm finally getting it... thanks to all you gurus and other helpful posters!!!

I'd suggest that you take one of those segments and make a test production with DVD Builder. A small production won't take long to make and you'll understand the process better once you've burned your test production to a DVD and an 'image file' (.iso).

I did this, and unfortunately, it brought up more questions! Most of them are about chapter menus, which I 've asked in another topic, and others I'm trying to answer with trial and error as I go along. Unfortunately, my time is running out... my baby is scheduled to arrive on Wednesday and when it takes more than 2 and a half hours to burn a DVD, there are only so many hours left for working out the kinks! Is there a limit on how many questions one can asked before being booted from the discussion group??? I think I need to join on the unlimited useage plan! :)

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the reply.

No, I haven't done anything with the first video yet. I'll probably be taking some more videos over the 4th of July. I would like to collect enough video clips to fill up a DVD before burning it in DVD Builder.

I haven't used the Videowave Program yet, so I'll have to get started to get familiar with it.

Thank

VideoWave works really well. I first edit individual segments (about 24 minutes for the project that I'm doing) in VideoWave. Then I go to DVDBuilder and add the .dmsm files that VideoWave made in the order that I want them to play. I customize the menu with background, fonts, colors and thumbnails and then burn an ISO file. If it's to my liking, I go ahead and burn the DVD.

It takes a long time to encode a project. It does not take very long to burn an encoded project to DVD (depending on the speed of your burner - I am burning at 8x). So it will take quite a while to create the ISO or to burn directly to DVD. But from ISO to DVD goes quickly.

Guest mlpasley

CONGRATULATIONS! That's fantastic news!

Thanks for dropping by to tell us. I know you've been busy.

I hope she starts sleeping through the night soon so that mom can get some rest.

Now you need to change your name to WAYWAY2muchtodo. :)

WEDNESDAY! The baby is due on Wednesday? :huh: You're definitely running out of time.

The first time you burn a DVD it is going to be longer because the program has to encode the file for a DVD. I frequently start the encoding process before I head for bed and let the computer do it's work by itself.

There are no limits to the questions you can ask.

I'd suggest that you keep the DVDs simple. For family videos, chapters are almost a waste of time. The family is going to watch the movie from beginning to end anyway.

One thing that works well for family movies is marking chapters, but unchecking the Display chapter menus. People can then use the DVD player remote to fast forward through the chapters if they are looking for a particular event.

It's better to get those movies onto DVDs in a simple format than not to get them on DVDs at all.

I know, I know, this is the story of my life. I am self-diagnosed obsessive/compulsive... I CAN'T HELP MYSELF. I need to let it go... but I can't! :D

Anyway, this new approach is helping me control my mania, because if I make each month a production (whether or not I break it into chapters - and I'm going to try NOT to) I'm concentrating on smaller portions of video and each time I wrap one up, I feel like I've accomplished something. When I have enough productions to fill a DVD, I'll go to DVD builder and pop them in, together with slideshows of pictures for each month. Each of these will be a title on the main menu page and TA-DAH - the DVDs will practically make themselves! :D But seriously, my attention span/concentration ability is only going to go downhill from here. Don't be surprised if you don't hear from me for a couple of months... but as soon as this baby starts sleeping through the night, I'll be back working on my DVDs!

Hey, one more question... what determines the order in which titles are played from the main menu? Is it the order in which they were added to the production or the physical place they occupy on the menu? I ask in case I decide to move the thumbnails around after adding the titles to the project.:)

Thanks!

Archived