• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 5 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Playing Dvd's After Burning.

nfaut29

Question

I just purchased and Installed Roxio Creator 2010 3 days ago. I used Video Wave to complete a movie,several clips , copied from a Sony Camera. All played well, Titled, etc. and preview was fine. I go to MyDVD to burn. Read all instructions in Help. I burned seveal type disks. shows 100% complete. Then I exit the disk and it will not play on another Computer, or on my LG DVD recorder/Player to TV. "unreadable disk". I have now spent more than 60 hours and 3 days trying everything I know. HOWEVER, I DO notice now, I get a message "Failed to start the image writing operation Error while Burning Image. ??? Not sure if that was there in the other 5 disks that did not work. In Previewing your project, It states, Select Tools > Finalize Disk. I cannot find "Finalize Disk" in any Tools, anywhere ? I just purchased and Installed Roxio Creator 2010. I used Video Wave to complete a movie copied from a Sony Camera. All played well, Titled, etc. and preview was fine. I go to MyDVD to burn. Read all instructions in Help. I burned seveal type disks. shows 100% complete. Then I exit the disk and it will not play on another Computer, or on my LG DVD recorder/Player to TV. "unreadable disk". I have now spent more than 60 hours and 3 days trying everything I know. HOWEVER, I DO notice now, I get a message "Failed to start the image writing operation Error while Burning Image. ??? Not sure if that was there in the other 5 disks that did not work. In Previewing your project, It states, Select Tools > Finalize Disk. I cannot find "Finalize Disk" in any Tools, anywhere ? CAN ANYONE HELP, PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP, PLEASE

18 answers to this question

Try it this way and let us know what happens

Instead of burning directly to the disc, make an image on the hard drive and use that to produce the DVD (just double click the image file and it should automatically start the burn process)

That way we can see whether the problem is in the rendering or the actual burning

THANK YOU gi7omy, I will try what you said today. Yesterday, I read through all the help issues. "Resolving Video Burning Issues," PX Engine Description and download, Firmware update, enable DMA , Lower write speed, etc. All I could find. Last night I burned a copy of two videowave projects to ISO Image file to try what you said. I also questioned: "Create folder set" I am not shure of the difference. I just printed out How to create a DVD from Video_TS folder and Create and Burn a DVD from an ISO Image file! So, NOW I am ready to try it. Will reply today on my results. HOWEVER< I have one problem I spent hours on. I just noticed that this AM a fellow asked the exact same question and I was looking for an answer to him. MY Videowave production is from a Sony Dig. camera I use to take live preformance shots of bands. Big bands, groups, and including my own. After I do the Video wave and export to MYDVD to Burn, it will not burn because it is too large to fit on a DVD. I thought it would fill one and ask for the second DVD until burned. Some are two and a half hours long. ( had to burn it on Extera long play to fit in on a Disk. Then of course, after all done, It will not play on on anything, and I get the message "Problem writing to disk" as above. I tried to split the movie at 1 hour, 20 minutes, but I can't seperate the two half's. Have tried everything except doing the entire thing over, creating clips, and only move half of them, then burn and go back to do the other half. So, last night I burned to ISO thinking that maybe it will let me use two disks. I will try today and let you know soon. Do you have any suggestions before I do this? What is the difference between Video_TS folder, and ISO Image file?? I feel the TS stands for me. Thanks again, Regards, Norman

It won't work withoput losing quality. You may have to edit the video down and make two separate parts of it and treat exch one as a separate movie,

Spanned discs (never very reliable in my opinion) will only work for a system backup and won't play in a set-top box

It won't work withoput losing quality. You may have to edit the video down and make two separate parts of it and treat exch one as a separate movie,

Spanned discs (never very reliable in my opinion) will only work for a system backup and won't play in a set-top box

I have burned the file with 8GB that took two disks and filled the one, then

asked for the other. This was on the DATA Burn from Video_TS folder. There

was only one of my productions on that file. The one that would not burn

because it said would not fit on the disk. All went well, 100% complete.I

have them both burned, BUT it will not play on the drive that recorderd it,

or my other computer, or my DVD player on the TV. I tried last night to use

the Burn a DVD from an ISO Image file: ( I know I saved several to that

file when burning, but I can't find any of them) I go to Burn Disk Image,

it opens, I touch "browse", but can't find any of them. I will try this

eve. I have to go away today, so will get back to you later. It must be

somewhere. I have so many files all over my computer. OR I will go to video

wave, do it again, and just burn it to ISO image. ??? Thank you. Norm

If you don't specify, the ISO image will be found at C:/.

I have tried all evening to burn an ISO file. I just can't find any ISO file anywhere on Computer. I have the productions all ove the computer. My Documents, Pictures, Video, Media files. I just need to get rid of all of them AND get one file to burn. Besides all the Clips come up from making the Movie to burn. But I hate to delete them till I get ONE DVD that plays back on the drive. I was sure when I tried to burn a disk, I also clicked burn an ISO file. Even at the time, I did not know what it was. I am going to start all over, go to video wave, move to MY DVD to burn and then just burn an ISO FILE. I tried to burn the 8

GB movie again by following instructions to :" To burn a DVD from an ISO image File." I finally got the file in from Browse line, clicked to burn, and SAME THING : "THE SOURCE YOU ARE TRYING TO COPY IS BIGGER THAN THE DESTINATION DISK." I am very tired. Worked 3 days and nights to just burn a DVD that not say " unknown disk" In fact, two of them jam my computer and just stop everything.

I will burn a new ISO, and be back. Thank you.

Do a windows search for *.iso and see if you can find them that way. I usually set my default image file location to a place I know (I have been caught that way before)

Hi gi7omy, I did search all over computer for any of my productions in my ISO file. Really can't find any. I will start on over and see what happens. I just send a reply to "sknis" who had also sent a few ideas. Here is a copy. I will be back.

I have tried all evening to burn an ISO file. I just can't find any ISO file anywhere on Computer. I have the productions all ove the computer. My Documents, Pictures, Video, Media files. I just need to get rid of all of them AND get one file to burn. Besides all the Clips come up from making the Movie to burn. But I hate to delete them till I get ONE DVD that plays back on the drive. I was sure when I tried to burn a disk, I also clicked burn an ISO file. Even at the time, I did not know what it was. I am going to start all over, go to video wave, move to MY DVD to burn and then just burn an ISO FILE. I tried to burn the 8

GB movie again by following instructions to :" To burn a DVD from an ISO image File." I finally got the file in from Browse line, clicked to burn, and SAME THING : "THE SOURCE YOU ARE TRYING TO COPY IS BIGGER THAN THE DESTINATION DISK." I am very tired. Worked 3 days and nights to just burn a DVD that not say " unknown disk" In fact, two of them jam my computer and just stop everything.

I will burn a new ISO, and be back. Thank you.

You need to set the output to dual layer (even for an iso image file) or it will hiccup and tell you it's too big

It writes to an image that will fit on the destination drive.

By the way, you can set the output folder from MyDVD in tools, options

You need to set the output to dual layer (even for an iso image file) or it will hiccup and tell you it's too big

It writes to an image that will fit on the destination drive.

By the way, you can set the output folder from MyDVD in tools, options

I am not sure how to reply to all that sent help to me, but it is appreciated. Jim Hardin sent a reply, who by the way helped me over a year ago with EASY VHS TO DVD.

NOW, I FINALLY HAVE A REPORT. I spent all day after 4 days trying to burn a disk that will play. I took one production and went to videowave to My DVD, to burn it to an ISO file. I finally found it when going to Browse to enter it into the bar to burn with .iso file. I burned two disks. (Sony DVD+R and a Verbatim DVD-R disk) from this iso file. Both do not play in my LG player or the Computer. I did go to "OPTIONS" and click "Verify copied Data" . There is also a block below it, "Stage to Hard drive for better Quality" [i have no idea what that is.] Looked in Help. They don't tell you anything. Just tell you that it is "Easy". Whoever makes this software, and then has the guts to title it EASY, should be put in jail. Anyhow, both DVD burns again did not work. I probably threw away about 15 disks the last week. All goes well until the end. Then I get the ! message: "One or more of your files did not compare to their originals. It is recommended you try to create your disk again. Please remember to shut down all applications while disk creation is in progress." Then I tied two more disks. A DVD+RW and a DVD-RW. Both work fine. Why I don't know. They play on my LG DVD player also. Maybe it is because they burn at only 4X, But there is no way to set the burning speed on the Burn Disk Image? . Now the only problem is, they have no chaptures, titels, etc. IF I could find the production I did before, I would try to do it again. That was all done with titles, chapters, etc. but would not play. Perhaps I can somehow move it into the Burn disk image, but it is not an iso., so I guess it will not burn to ISO unless I do it over. Before I got on Roxio for help, I created a disk of a band, live in a park. I was able to create 4 disks that played on my computer. I sent them to New Jersey to one of the musicians. He said only one played on his computer, and DVD player. The one that played for him was the SONY DVD+RW. Does that give you any help? I think I copied the others at a slower speed than 16X in MYDVD/ Either 8x or 12X. I am going to try to make another new one in Video wave, burn it to ISO file. IF I can find the one that is complete and did not play, perhaps I can bring it back to Video wave, to MY DVD and burn it to ISO. I will let you know. DOES THIS GIVE YOU ANY ANSWERS ? TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERNE. Regards, Norm

I am not sure how to reply to all that sent help to me, but it is appreciated. Jim Hardin sent a reply, who by the way helped me over a year ago with EASY VHS TO DVD.

NOW, I FINALLY HAVE A REPORT. I spent all day after 4 days trying to burn a disk that will play. I took one production and went to videowave to My DVD, to burn it to an ISO file. I finally found it when going to Browse to enter it into the bar to burn with .iso file. I burned two disks. (Sony DVD+R and a Verbatim DVD-R disk) from this iso file. Both do not play in my LG player or the Computer. I did go to "OPTIONS" and click "Verify copied Data" . There is also a block below it, "Stage to Hard drive for better Quality" [i have no idea what that is.] Looked in Help. They don't tell you anything. Just tell you that it is "Easy". Whoever makes this software, and then has the guts to title it EASY, should be put in jail. Anyhow, both DVD burns again did not work. I probably threw away about 15 disks the last week. All goes well until the end. Then I get the ! message: "One or more of your files did not compare to their originals. It is recommended you try to create your disk again. Please remember to shut down all applications while disk creation is in progress." Then I tied two more disks. A DVD+RW and a DVD-RW. Both work fine. Why I don't know. They play on my LG DVD player also. Maybe it is because they burn at only 4X, But there is no way to set the burning speed on the Burn Disk Image? . Now the only problem is, they have no chaptures, titels, etc. IF I could find the production I did before, I would try to do it again. That was all done with titles, chapters, etc. but would not play. Perhaps I can somehow move it into the Burn disk image, but it is not an iso., so I guess it will not burn to ISO unless I do it over. Before I got on Roxio for help, I created a disk of a band, live in a park. I was able to create 4 disks that played on my computer. I sent them to New Jersey to one of the musicians. He said only one played on his computer, and DVD player. The one that played for him was the SONY DVD+RW. Does that give you any help? I think I copied the others at a slower speed than 16X in MYDVD/ Either 8x or 12X. I am going to try to make another new one in Video wave, burn it to ISO file. IF I can find the one that is complete and did not play, perhaps I can bring it back to Video wave, to MY DVD and burn it to ISO. I will let you know. DOES THIS GIVE YOU ANY ANSWERS ? TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERNE. Regards, Norm

Your posts are so confusing it's impossible to really understand what you are doing. Forget about "verifying", it does absolutely nothing for you when doing video work.

How did you burn the iso file, ie., what program from C2010 did you use? How long in time is the video project?

If they final DVD does not have the menus/chapters then you did not create the image (iso) file properly or did not setup the burn properly. You can check your iso file by dowloading the free utility VLC player (google for it). You then simply drag and drop the iso file to the VLC icon on your desktop. If its a proper video iso file it will play and you can check out your menu.

I don't understand this at all: "IF I could find the production I did before, I would try to do it again. That was all done with titles, chapters, etc. but would not play. Perhaps I can somehow move it into the Burn disk image, but it is not an iso., so I guess it will not burn to ISO unless I do it over". How did you create the image (iso) file?

You create the disc image (iso) file in myDVD from your videowave project and then use Burn Disc Image to burn the iso file to a DVD.

Your posts are so confusing it's impossible to really understand what you are doing. Forget about "verifying", it does absolutely nothing for you when doing video work.

How did you burn the iso file, ie., what program from C2010 did you use? How long in time is the video project?

If they final DVD does not have the menus/chapters then you did not create the image (iso) file properly or did not setup the burn properly. You can check your iso file by dowloading the free utility VLC player (google for it). You then simply drag and drop the iso file to the VLC icon on your desktop. If its a proper video iso file it will play and you can check out your menu.

I don't understand this at all: "IF I could find the production I did before, I would try to do it again. That was all done with titles, chapters, etc. but would not play. Perhaps I can somehow move it into the Burn disk image, but it is not an iso., so I guess it will not burn to ISO unless I do it over". How did you create the image (iso) file?

You create the disc image (iso) file in myDVD from your videowave project and then use Burn Disc Image to burn the iso file to a DVD.

Hi myguggi, I sure understand that it is confusing, if you just read this post from today. This started on July 4, with :

nfaut29 After Burn is complete, I have a message: "Failed to start the image writing operation Error while Burning Image.

Jul 04 2010 03:33 PM THEN ABOUT 10 POSTS AFTER THAT! The above, tonight , is only the answer to what "gi7omy" suggested I try after all else failed. His request: To try burning from an .iso file, however I could not find an iso file. I have about 6 productions ready to burn, Titles, chapters, etc. and piles of disks to throw away, yet when they are finished burning, 100% , even previews are fine, but they will not play on anything, even the player that burned them. NONE of them were iso files. They are all over my computer in Video, pictures, Documents, etc. I just wanted one burn that would play. SO, to try what he asked, I went to videowave, moved to mydvd, and burned it only to ISO file and burn from there. I did not spend another few hours with chapters, etc. Only to see if it would work from .iso. Now after burn I get the ! message: "One or more of your files did not compare to their originals. It is recommended you try to create your disk again. Please remember to shut down all applications while disk creation is in progress." So my post is the answer to that. The one I did today from iso is 1 hour, 24 min. I have some 2 hrs, 20 min. but will not burn because it will not ask for the second disk. HOWEVER, A +RW AND -RW DISK WORKED FINE ??? I read somewhere to use VERIFY COPIED DATA, which I did. If it is not going to help, why is it there? What is "Stage to hard drive for better quality"? Thanks, myquggi, but see my first posts, and all the replys after that. NOW, tomorrow I will return one of my productions to video wave, split them up into chapters, then to MYDVD, and burn it to .iso file instead of to a disk. HOwever, It sitll don't work unless I use an RW disk? Regards, Norm

Hi myguggi, I sure understand that it is confusing, if you just read this post from today. This started on July 4, with :

nfaut29 After Burn is complete, I have a message: "Failed to start the image writing operation Error while Burning Image.

Jul 04 2010 03:33 PM THEN ABOUT 10 POSTS AFTER THAT! The above, tonight , is only the answer to what "gi7omy" suggested I try after all else failed. His request: To try burning from an .iso file, however I could not find an iso file. I have about 6 productions ready to burn, Titles, chapters, etc. and piles of disks to throw away, yet when they are finished burning, 100% , even previews are fine, but they will not play on anything, even the player that burned them. NONE of them were iso files. They are all over my computer in Video, pictures, Documents, etc. I just wanted one burn that would play. SO, to try what he asked, I went to videowave, moved to mydvd, and burned it only to ISO file and burn from there. I did not spend another few hours with chapters, etc. Only to see if it would work from .iso. Now after burn I get the ! message: "One or more of your files did not compare to their originals. It is recommended you try to create your disk again. Please remember to shut down all applications while disk creation is in progress." So my post is the answer to that. The one I did today from iso is 1 hour, 24 min. I have some 2 hrs, 20 min. but will not burn because it will not ask for the second disk. HOWEVER, A +RW AND -RW DISK WORKED FINE ??? I read somewhere to use VERIFY COPIED DATA, which I did. If it is not going to help, why is it there? What is "Stage to hard drive for better quality"? Thanks, myquggi, but see my first posts, and all the replys after that. NOW, tomorrow I will return one of my productions to video wave, split them up into chapters, then to MYDVD, and burn it to .iso file instead of to a disk. HOwever, It sitll don't work unless I use an RW disk? Regards, Norm

Verify???

In MyDVD – Tools – Validate Project:

post-39730-082384700 1278760498.jpg

The ONLY thing it does is check to see if all the files that you used in your project, are still where they were when you added them! No more, No less

In Creator Classic: File – Project Settings – Validate source files before recording:

post-39730-057727100 1278760497.jpg

Same thing! However, it is completely ignored if you are burning an ISO file as are all other settings!

An ISO file has everything set within the file image and cannot be changed.

But keep in mind that Data & Video are completely different and you cannot play mix & match with the features of them

Here is a chart of what will fit on a DVD. You can't change it, you can't wish it to fit. If you want quality, you can't have time…

DVD Time – DVD Capacity

4.7GB DVD:

• HQ = 1:06
  • SP = 1:37
  • LP = 2:22
  • ELP = 3:04

8.5 GB DVD:

• HQ = 2:00
  • SP = 2:57
  • LP = 4:19
  • ELP = 5:35

Trim your project to fit in the allotted time or split it and use 2 discs. It is that simple…

Verify???

In MyDVD – Tools – Validate Project:

post-39730-082384700 1278760498.jpg

The ONLY thing it does is check to see if all the files that you used in your project, are still where they were when you added them! No more, No less

In Creator Classic: File – Project Settings – Validate source files before recording:

post-39730-057727100 1278760497.jpg

Same thing! However, it is completely ignored if you are burning an ISO file as are all other settings!

An ISO file has everything set within the file image and cannot be changed.

But keep in mind that Data & Video are completely different and you cannot play mix & match with the features of them

Here is a chart of what will fit on a DVD. You can't change it, you can't wish it to fit. If you want quality, you can't have time…

DVD Time – DVD Capacity

4.7GB DVD:

• HQ = 1:06
  • SP = 1:37
  • LP = 2:22
  • ELP = 3:04

8.5 GB DVD:

• HQ = 2:00
  • SP = 2:57
  • LP = 4:19
  • ELP = 5:35

Trim your project to fit in the allotted time or split it and use 2 discs. It is that simple…

Thank you Jim Hardin. ( you and Larry helped me very much last year with Easy VHS to DVD ) I have done a lot with VHS to DVD since then. As I go back over 60 years of being a Musician, I am still working on saving a lot of music to CDs. I even did some from old Real To Real tapes from Big Bands at Sunnybrook Ballroom. Few mo. ago I made 30 disks for a Guitar player to sell, as I recorded him on a Sony Cassett player.)HE is 87 years old and still playing every week. I have a lot more CD work to do, but wanted to do few DVD's first. This is why I can not believe it is my DVD Lite on Burner that is giving me this problem. This is so hard to make this short. But, I guess I have 156 GB of Video into my hard drive from a Sony Camera. All I want to do is burn a few DVD's to save them and delete them from my hard drive which is almost filled up. I bought a MY Book Essentials 500 external hard drive, but I can't send my productions to it. [That is another issue] So a month ago, I decided to update my Roxio to Creator 2010 to the newest version to do the DVD work. Now, nothing works. Hate to have you read all my posts on this, but covers a lot.

I think I understand your exp. of Validate Project. I see all these things while trying to burn and I am just trying everything I see. (not good) MY first question is: Is my VSH to DVD interfearing with Creator 2010 ? I was trying to get any ISO file to Burn in Disk Image, and VHS TO DVD pops up many times. Not if I do it exactly to instructions "To burn a DVD from an ISO Image file" and find it , then OPEN. I had trouble finding the file to open. Would not open. gi7omy told me to make and ISO file and burn from that. Now I have files all over the place. One of the posts tell me to name the ISO file to another location than Documents. Well I tried. And It would not go there. Told me it was Protected ? So I sent it to Doc. and it ended up in MY Pictures. I finally found it. Burned it, and it still don't play on anything. EXCEPT, when I burn it to a Sony DVD+RW disk and Fuji DVD-RW disk, they seem to be ok. I tried 5 times to burn to a Verbatim Digital Movie DVD-R. and all are bad. I am so confused with ISO files. I have one disk of another production I did, with 4 chaptures from Video Wave to MY DVD and Burned it directly to Verbatim Digital Movie DVD-R disk. It is perfect. So, I thought I would just copy the disk to another to make more. Guess what. It told me It can't be copied. It is protected. Now, how in the hell did that happen?

Jim, you stated in this post "An ISO file has everything set within the file image and cannot be changed" But keep in mind that DATA & Video are completely different and you cannot play mix & match with features of them? This may be some of my problem. The first ISO was just to try to burn one. But I never had any chapters. Then I tried to do it over in MY DVD or Video wave, don't remember. MY BIG Question was going to be: I did all my work in Video wave then to MY DVD to burn. Why am I going to DATA - copy, when I did a Video? I did one that was very good before I got Creator 2010, had 12 chapters, but had a bad spot near the end for about 10 seconds. So I tried to split that and replace it, but now I have no chapters in the production. I am so sick of it, I feel I just want to Delete everything and Maybe try making a new one. By the way, the one I am trying now is 1 hour and 24 min. I think it is 4.2 GB . However, This one is a very poor quality video from my Sony camera. It was taken at night with very little light, and has a lot of Video noise. Snow. Would that be a reason for the errors after burning? I will try another that was taken daytime, keep it shorter and see what happens. Please give me any suggestions. I certainly appreciate it. Before I had this Roxio 2010, I made some other videos with Microsoft Movie maker. I should have stuck to that. Thanks Jim. Regards Norman

Adding a Carriage Return here and there improves readability in long replies :lol:

V2D: Didn’t know you had it… There is only ONE version of V2D that would interfere with Creator 2010.

Open V2D and click on Help-About. If you have the 1.2.198 version you will have to uninstall both 2010 and V2D!

Then, hide the V2D disc and only install 2010!!!

But keep in mind that it is only the 1.2.198 version that has any conflict with Creator 2010! The other 2 versions of V2D will not conflict with Creator 2010.

Permission Conflicts: Strictly a Windows thing… if 2 programs are trying to look at the same file at the same time, sometimes this produces a permission conflict. Burn Disc Image hangs on to things and you may have to close Roxio after using it to copy a file.

As far as a Disc to Disc copy, that is strange… But let’s see if getting the V2D straightened out will improve things???

Edits: You need to Save Projects along the way. This creates dmsm (VideoWave) or dmsd (MyDVD) files. These Project Files, do not have one bit of video in them!!! But they have a group of ‘notes’ about the project so you can go right back to where you were when you saved. (they do require all of items used in the Project to be on your PC, in the same place it was at the time you saved)

Lastly, Video Files vs. ISO… all ISO files are data files - always!

They may be a Data File of a Video but they are themselves, a Data File…

Technically, all files and discs are Data files but it is easier to call a data file that is in a special mpeg format, a ‘video file’ or if it is a Wave, a ‘music file‘… ;)