• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 19 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

EricG

Snow Leopard Broke Working Flow: Mpeg2 -> Dv Broken

Question

Hi,

I've been using a flow to edit content pulled from my TiVo for about a year now. Here's my flow.

1. Record a program on TiVo.

2. Use Toast's TiVo Transfer to download the MPEG2 onto my Mac.

3. Use Toast 10 to convert the MPEG2 to DV.

4. Import DV into iMovie for editing.

5. Save result.

Last night I upgraded to Snow Leopard 10.6.4 from Leopard 10.5.8, and step #3 no longer works. It seems to start the process okay, but finishes in about two seconds. It produces a DV file, but it has no content (it's just a green screen) and is only about 30 MB long when I would normally expect several GBs.

I am running Toast 10.0.7 which I upgraded to prior to the Snow Leopard upgrade. I thought to reinstall Toast, but I cannot find my original download file, and the e-commerce site only allows redownloading the software within 30 days of original purchase (June 2009). I tried deleting Toast's preference file, but that had no effect.

Any other suggestions?

-Eric

4 answers to this question

Interesting. When I attempt this the option for DV export doesn't appear when the source is a TiVo 528x480 file. In my case choosing the AppleTV setting is best for later import to iMovie. I've checked this with both Toast 10.0.6 and 10.0.7. The DV export option is there for video files that are not from the TiVo transfer.

Thanks for the reply. I forgot one step in my flow, and that's to remove the encryption from the TiVo file using a command-line program called tivodecode. This probably allows the file to be seen as an input to the DV transcoder. Sorry for any confusion.

-Eric

In the short term I'm following your advice to try to import the AppleTV format to iMovie. I used Toast to convert from a .tivo file to the AppleTV high-quality, H.264, .m4v file. However, when I open iMovie (iLife 09) and try to import it, the file is grayed out. Is there some trick to getting iMovie to recognize this file for import?

-Eric

In the short term I'm following your advice to try to import the AppleTV format to iMovie. I used Toast to convert from a .tivo file to the AppleTV high-quality, H.264, .m4v file. However, when I open iMovie (iLife 09) and try to import it, the file is grayed out. Is there some trick to getting iMovie to recognize this file for import?

-Eric

I just tried your approach to export a TiVo 528x480 video to DV that was first converted to MPEG using TiVo Decoder. The conversion to DV worked fine. I'm running OS 10.6.4 on an Intel iMac. So I don't know what to suggest as to why it stopped working on your Mac after the OS upgrade. I do have QuickTime 7 Pro so that was retained during the OS upgrade. Maybe Toast is using a codec left over from that version. That's a completely wild and probably wrong guess.

Toast includes a "text track" in its h.264 exports that makes them unrecognized by iMovie. The solution I found is to use QuickTime 7 Pro to remove that track (in the Show Movie Properties window).

Edited by tsantee