How Do I Automatically Split Camcorder Video Into Clip Files?

steve_aor

Question

I have numerous cam tapes of my son as a baby and toddler.

One of the tapes, I managed (somehow) to create separate files (based on the time stamp, stop/start video) of clips from one of the tapes.

The files look like:

tape 13 - Clip 001

tape 13 - Clip 001.avi.sfk

tape 13 - Clip 002

tape 13 - Clip 002.avi.sfk

etc

I want to do this to ALL my other tapes, but I cannot recall how to do it. A ruptured pipe ruined my basement, so documentation is out of the question, and since I worked on this last summer, I cannot recall what I did!!!

How can I get Roxio Media Creator 10 to automatically subdivide the video tape into separate files (which are far easier for me to work into a video of him growing up)?

Steve

11 answers to this question

I have numerous cam tapes of my son as a baby and toddler.

One of the tapes, I managed (somehow) to create separate files (based on the time stamp, stop/start video) of clips from one of the tapes.

The files look like:

tape 13 - Clip 001

tape 13 - Clip 001.avi.sfk

tape 13 - Clip 002

tape 13 - Clip 002.avi.sfk

etc

I want to do this to ALL my other tapes, but I cannot recall how to do it. A ruptured pipe ruined my basement, so documentation is out of the question, and since I worked on this last summer, I cannot recall what I did!!!

How can I get Roxio Media Creator 10 to automatically subdivide the video tape into separate files (which are far easier for me to work into a video of him growing up)?

Steve

I don't think you used Easy Media Creator 10 to do that.

Watch this; perhaps it will help.

Did you have a different video editing program?

Edited by sknis

I do not recall using (or having) any other program that is remotely similar (but, who knows, it was last summer, and I am not a techie).

I watched the video you suggested and I do know how to use the scene detection... but these files were sliced exactly where the video camera would have stopped filming, and started filming again at a later time or date.

I want my video sliced into files based on the date/time changing, that would make it much easier to start building a DVD of my son's first four years.

Thoughts or ideas?

Steve

I do not recall using (or having) any other program that is remotely similar (but, who knows, it was last summer, and I am not a techie).

I watched the video you suggested and I do know how to use the scene detection... but these files were sliced exactly where the video camera would have stopped filming, and started filming again at a later time or date.

I want my video sliced into files based on the date/time changing, that would make it much easier to start building a DVD of my son's first four years.

Thoughts or ideas?

Steve

Did you use the program that came with the camcorder to put the files on your computer or prehaps Windows Movie Maker? Roxio would have stopped recording if it saw a blank spot on the video. Read this.

RE:Did you use the program that came with the camcorder to put the files on your computer or prehaps Windows Movie Maker? Roxio would have stopped recording if it saw a blank spot on the video.

I cannot answer that as I do not know/recall.

Perhaps I should attack this problem from a different angle?

I went to parse my home movies based on when the camcorder was stopped/restarted, so that one tape is cut into several bite sized pieces. I know Roxio will do it based on the 'scene detection', but I want it strictly based on the stopping/restarting of the video camera.

Is there a program I can download that will do this?

RE:Did you use the program that came with the camcorder to put the files on your computer or prehaps Windows Movie Maker? Roxio would have stopped recording if it saw a blank spot on the video.

I cannot answer that as I do not know/recall.

Perhaps I should attack this problem from a different angle?

I went to parse my home movies based on when the camcorder was stopped/restarted, so that one tape is cut into several bite sized pieces. I know Roxio will do it based on the 'scene detection', but I want it strictly based on the stopping/restarting of the video camera.

Is there a program I can download that will do this?

I know of no free programs that will do what you want. Google is your friend. You have to do some research for yourself. :mellow:

Thank you for your time and assistance with my problems. I only wish I knew how I did it the first time! =P

Steve

Is your camcorder made by Sony? Did you read the link above about Sony Vegas and Sony Digital Media Device for the extension on some of those files you listed?

Panasonic. ;-)

Are those digital tapes or analog?

If digital there is a small utility called WinDV (free I think, google for it) which I have used in the past to separate my digital tapes into separate files based on the time stamp. You have to use Firewire connection though, it does not work with USB.

Are those digital tapes or analog?

If digital there is a small utility called WinDV (free I think, google for it) which I have used in the past to separate my digital tapes into separate files based on the time stamp. You have to use Firewire connection though, it does not work with USB.

Analog tapes (small cassette) as opposed to a chip.

I do have a firewire connection in my computer for connecting the panasonic to my computer for conversion purposes.