• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Tapes and 45s Not Converting in Stereo Sound

billofmd@aol.com

Question

I’m hoping someone can help me with the fact that the 45s and cassette tapes I’m converting into mp3s aren’t being recorded in stereo.

In the LP and Tape Assistant, under the advanced options, file format, I have selected Audio format Stereo (format 48.00 Hz) at 16 bits per sample.

I’m using an external soundcard (Creative UBS Sound Blaster Live 24 bit).

The Stereo I’m using is a Sanyo GXT 170 High-Fidelity Stereo Music system purchased in 1985.

I have a cable purchased from Radio Shack connecting from the headphone jack to the external soundcard.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated as I’d like to solve the problem before converting any more 45s or cassette tapes.

Thanks!

13 answers to this question

As Dave has already said, let us know how it goes......

Thanks for the feedback, we seldom here back that our suggestions work (we really don't know yet).

Just thought I'd let you know I finally got the cable I ordered (which in a twist of irony was actually a 1/8" to 1/8" stereo cable with a 1/4" adapter on it...grrrrr).

I did a sample song last night. It came out in stereo. (Not too happy about the whole adapter thing) But, it works and I can move on with converting all my 45s and casette tapes.

Thanks your help! T'was/is very much appreciated.

Just thought I'd let you know I finally got the cable I ordered (which in a twist of irony was actually a 1/8" to 1/8" stereo cable with a 1/4" adapter on it...grrrrr).

I did a sample song last night. It came out in stereo. (Not too happy about the whole adapter thing) But, it works and I can move on with converting all my 45s and casette tapes.

Thanks your help! T'was/is very much appreciated.

Thanks for the feedback. A lot of people come on here, ask a question, we respond with a possible fix and we never hear back from them. Glad you got it going.

Cheers

Ogdens

Thanks for the feedback. A lot of people come on here, ask a question, we respond with a possible fix and we never hear back from them. Glad you got it going.

Cheers

Ogdens

Sure. Feedback really is the only way to tell if a suggestion/fix actually works. Though I suppose no news is good news, it's still a bit rude to leave someone hanging/wondering.

Thanks again!

Look at this.... http://216.247.228.12/miva/merchant.mvc?Sc...duct_Code=CA-16

or try Radio Shack type store, just tell them what you are trying to connect.

1/8 Headphone Jack to 1/8 Stereo Plug

Good luck

Thanks for the link. I tried two different local Radio Shacks here and both told me that such an audtio cable does not exist. They informed me that I would have to take a 1/4" stereo to 1/4" stereo and then purchase the 1/8" adapter for it.

While that would have solved the problem and given me what I needed to begin the conversion process "now", I know that the move connections/adapters you have between the source and the external sound card the greater the chance for unwanted noise/distortion.

So I simply ordered the cable from the link you gave me.

THANK YOU!!!!

It sounds like you have hooked up using a Mono cord instead of a Stereo cord.

You want to connect your audio components to the "line-in" jack on your soundcard from your Stereo, using the line out or tape out jacks. You need a cable which converts 2 rca audio jacks - to a stereo 1/8" stereo plug. Look at a Radio Shack #42-2551 cable for an example

These sites have a lot of helpful info on recording vinyl,cassettes/cds etc.

http://www.cdrfaq.org/

http://deweywrightenterprises.baka.com/

"D'oh" that is the problem. It's a mono cable. It's connecting from the head phone jack of my stereo to the 1/8" plug on the sound card.

Any idea if the y adapters come with wires on the end instead of RCA plugs? My stereo predates RCA plugs so I can't use the y w/2 RCA plug adapter. :)

Thanks for the link. I tried two different local Radio Shacks here and both told me that such an audtio cable does not exist. They informed me that I would have to take a 1/4" stereo to 1/4" stereo and then purchase the 1/8" adapter for it.

While that would have solved the problem and given me what I needed to begin the conversion process "now", I know that the move connections/adapters you have between the source and the external sound card the greater the chance for unwanted noise/distortion.

THANK YOU!!!!

In this case, I personally would've gone with the "now" solution. In fact, I have a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter right here. But, since you've got the cable on its way, great. Let us know how you make out when it arrives!

"D'oh" that is the problem. It's a mono cable. It's connecting from the head phone jack of my stereo to the 1/8" plug on the sound card.

Any idea if the y adapters come with wires on the end instead of RCA plugs? My stereo predates RCA plugs so I can't use the y w/2 RCA plug adapter. :)

Look at this.... http://216.247.228.12/miva/merchant.mvc?Sc...duct_Code=CA-16

or try Radio Shack type store, just tell them what you are trying to connect.

1/4 Headphone Jack to 1/8 Stereo Plug

Good luck

THANK YOU!!!!

As Dave has already said, let us know how it goes......

Thanks for the feedback, we seldom here back that our suggestions work (we really don't know yet).

Pre-dates RCA plugs? That would have to be prior to the 1950's then! More likely you're using a combo system that simply doesn't have the RCA jacks on it to connect external equipment.

But, as was said, visit your local Radio Shack store and tell them you need a cable with a stereo 1/4" plug on one end, and a stereo 1/8" plug on the other. They should be able to help you out.

Is this the little adapter you were talking about Dave ?? I can't figure out why the R.S. guy would say that the cable item doesn't exist and just show him an adapter

Frank....

Well, when I wrote previously, I was thinking of the "inverse" of that. An adapter with a 1/4" jack and a 1/8" plug, but I have both right here, and with the appropriate cable, either one with two 1/4" stereo plugs on it, or one with two 1/8" stereo plugs at either end, we could make his connection work, yes. (And I don't think he'd notice any extra noise in the signal.)

I'll let you guys know how it works. I suspect it will work fine.

As for the Radio Shack staff here, their focus seems to be "move product out the door" than listening to what the customer wants. I went in their not too long ago looking for an adapter to turn a coax cable into an RCA plug and was informed that no such adapter existed. And what I would really need is cable box to plug the coax into and link that to the DVD player and VCR...for about $14. I said thanks but no thanks and went to Best Buy and found the coax to RCA plug adapter for $1.99.

As for this visit, RS doesn't carry in their store (or online from what I could see) a 1/8" to 1/4" STEREO audio cable. They have a mono cable. The only stereo cable they have is the 1/8" to 1/8" so they wanted to sell me that and then sell me a 1/4" adapter to go with it.

I'd prefere to have as few connections between my audio source and the external sound card so as to minimize any noise/distortion. I suspect the level of noise/distortion would be minor, but given the quality of some of my 45s I'd rather air on the side of caution.

I’m hoping someone can help me with the fact that the 45s and cassette tapes I’m converting into mp3s aren’t being recorded in stereo.

In the LP and Tape Assistant, under the advanced options, file format, I have selected Audio format Stereo (format 48.00 Hz) at 16 bits per sample.

I’m using an external soundcard (Creative UBS Sound Blaster Live 24 bit).

The Stereo I’m using is a Sanyo GXT 170 High-Fidelity Stereo Music system purchased in 1985.

I have a cable purchased from Radio Shack connecting from the headphone jack to the external soundcard.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated as I’d like to solve the problem before converting any more 45s or cassette tapes.

Thanks!

It sounds like you have hooked up using a Mono cord instead of a Stereo cord.

You want to connect your audio components to the "line-in" jack on your soundcard from your Stereo, using the line out or tape out jacks. You need a cable which converts 2 rca audio jacks - to a stereo 1/8" stereo plug. Look at a Radio Shack #42-2551 cable for an example

These sites have a lot of helpful info on recording vinyl,cassettes/cds etc.

http://www.cdrfaq.org/

http://deweywrightenterprises.baka.com/

Archived