• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Music DVD will not allow pause or fast forward funtions

arrozadillo

Question

I've read quite a few posts in this forum about the problems with making a music DVD with Toast 7. I have both Toast 7.0.1 and 7.0.2 on my iMac G5 hard drive. Because of this forum I've been trying to use 7.0.1 to make a music DVD. I want this DVD to contain 8 audio files of 30 minutes in length each. I have those files in AIFF and in MP3 format on my hard drive. I've tried using both formats to make my DVD.

I always get the same result: The burned DVD plays just fine on my set-top DVD player, BUT I cannot pause the playback or fast forward or rewind the playback. This is a critical problem, i.e., I cannot just "live with it." I need to be able to fast forward and to pause this DVD or it is of little use to me.

Each time I've used Toast 7.0.1 to make a DVD, I've burned a disc image on my hard drive first. I've mounted the image and tested it with DVD Player. The pause function works, but not the fast forward. When I copy that disc image to a blank DVD (Memorex DVD-RW), and play it on my set-top player (a cheap Walmart player that has worked flawlessly on all the videos I've burned, to both DVD-R and DVD-RW media, for the last year), neither the pause nor the fast forward/rewind functions work.

Here are some of the things I've tried:

1. Instead of dragging in AIFF files to Toast, I converted them to MP3s in iTunes first and dragged in the MP3s. Still no pause or fast forward/rewind function on the set-top player. Pause still works in DVD Player on the iMac.

2. I took just two of the AIFF files and created an audio CD with Toast. Then I played that audio CD in my set-top DVD player. Both the pause and the fast forward/rewind functions WORKED properly. However, although this works, I don't want to use this option because CDs cannot hold enough information so I'd have to burn 3 or 4 CDs to contain my 8 audio files. I want these 8 files on one disc. (This brings up a side question: Why is it that, if you want to create an audio CD, you cannot get any more songs on the CD when the songs are in MP3 format than you can when the songs are in AIFF format? One would think that, since MP3 files are about one-tenth the size of AIFF files, that I could get ten times as many MP3 songs on a CD. But, nooooooooooooooooooo. That only works if you are creating an MP3 CD, which I don't want to do. If you are creating an audio CD, MP3 files fill up the disc just as fast as AIFF files. That really puzzles me, and I've never seen it addressed in any forum.)

3. As a test to see if Toast 7.0.2 would do any better, I converted my original AIFF files to Apple Lossless files (as recommended on this forum for getting better results when using 7.0.2 for creating music DVDs). Still got the same results. Pause works on the computer's DVD Player, but not fast forward/rewind, and neither function works on the set-top DVD player.

I have not seen this issue mentioned in any forum, so I'm just wondering "is it me, or is it Memorex?" Okay, lame joke (you have to be as old as I am to get it). But, does every one else who creates music DVDs have access to the pause function and the fast forward/rewind function on their set-top DVD players? If I'm the only one who does not have these functions, can someone suggest what I need to do differently in making my music DVD?

Steve

Seattle, Washington

3 answers to this question

I'm only vaguely familiar with the technical reasons for this, but the part of the DVD standard Toast uses to create music DVDs doesn't allow fast forwarding. It's like trying to fast forward the menu on your commercial video DVD. As for pausing, I'd expect this to work. I've noticed with an old DVD slide show burned with Toast that I often have to push the pause button multiple times with my standalone Pioneer player before it finally takes.

What you should do instead of a music DVD for your need is make an MP3 CD. This is done in the audio window. Most DVD players (especially the cheap ones) play MP3 CDs.

Thank you for your reply, tsantee. I've now made an MP3 CD, and I can pause and fast forward/rewind the files.

Unfortunately, not all of my intended recipients for this disc have DVD players that can play MP3 CDs. I guess I could send those people a Music DVD version and warn them that they will not be able to fast forward or pause the individual files on the DVD.

I'm still curious to know if other members of this forum have been able to make Music DVDs that would pause in their set-top DVD players.

Steve

Seattle, Washington

I'm still curious to know if other members of this forum have been able to make Music DVDs that would pause in their set-top DVD players.

Pause, yes.

This is hardware dependent on your player, not on Toast.

Try getting an Apex or CyberHome player - they usually provide better DVD menu control.

FF - nope. Per the reasons Tsante stated earlier.

Archived