No Pan And Zoom In Overlay?

wbarrett

Question

This is Creator 2010.

My problem: Start with an A-V video. Preserve the native audio, but replace a section of the video with a photograph. Pan and Zoom the photograph.

1. Photo can go in as an overlay. You can resize the overlay, but the pan-zoom option under Production is not provided. Why not? Roxio has a fine pan-zoom subroutine process, why can't it be attached to an overlay? Also, make the overlay background black or something as an option, rather than the native video.

2. I tried splitting the A-V to make a section. How about replacing that section's video with the photograph, then pan and zoom it? Doesn't work -- the audio AND video get clipped out, replaced with the photo and dead sound. Native sound for that segment disappears. Locking the audio track (the little round button on the left) doesn't help. Why should this be so hard to do?

SO I END UP with an inferior documentary, which started with a talking head and a lengthy narrative. Can't salt it with external pictures, except these frozen overlays. Also, an overlay photo looks weird on top of the talking head unless it fills the screen.

I rather like the "internal overlay" mechanism, which appears to attach an overlay to the native track. But it cannot be pan-zoomed either. You only have a few choices like having it scroll up, down, sideways, or dissolved in/out.

2 answers to this question

This is Creator 2010.

My problem: Start with an A-V video. Preserve the native audio, but replace a section of the video with a photograph. Pan and Zoom the photograph.

1. Photo can go in as an overlay. You can resize the overlay, but the pan-zoom option under Production is not provided. Why not? Roxio has a fine pan-zoom subroutine process, why can't it be attached to an overlay? Also, make the overlay background black or something as an option, rather than the native video.

2. I tried splitting the A-V to make a section. How about replacing that section's video with the photograph, then pan and zoom it? Doesn't work -- the audio AND video get clipped out, replaced with the photo and dead sound. Native sound for that segment disappears. Locking the audio track (the little round button on the left) doesn't help. Why should this be so hard to do?

SO I END UP with an inferior documentary, which started with a talking head and a lengthy narrative. Can't salt it with external pictures, except these frozen overlays. Also, an overlay photo looks weird on top of the talking head unless it fills the screen.

I rather like the "internal overlay" mechanism, which appears to attach an overlay to the native track. But it cannot be pan-zoomed either. You only have a few choices like having it scroll up, down, sideways, or dissolved in/out.

1-Simply create the overlay part as a separate project in VW,do your pan&zooms and output as an avi or mpeg2 file. Then add that file as an overlay at the required section in the main project.

2-Also simple. Extract the native audio as an audio file, replace a section of the main video with your photo, do pan & zooms on the photo. Mute the native audio and add your extract audio on one of the audio tracks.. If you make sure that the duration of the photo exactly matches the duration of the replaced video the audio should be in sync

The little blue/red button for the audio tracks is for muting the audio.

Archived