Filename too long or illegal characters

I'm using Windows 2000 with Roxio Easy CD Creator Ver. 5.3.4.21 to save data files such as MS-Word, Excel, pdf's, jpg's, etc to a CD.

When copying to a CD Roxio gives me an error message saying filenames are too long or have illegal characters (this is not the exact text of the error messge, but close). So it renames them.

Why is Roxio's naming structure not compatible with Microsoft's and what can be done about this.

If I copy the files back to my hard drive from my CD there are now two files with similar names. Very confusing.

Thanks for your help

I'm using Windows 2000 with Roxio Easy CD Creator Ver. 5.3.4.21 to save data files such as MS-Word, Excel, pdf's, jpg's, etc to a CD.

When copying to a CD Roxio gives me an error message saying filenames are too long or have illegal characters (this is not the exact text of the error messge, but close). So it renames them.

Why is Roxio's naming structure not compatible with Microsoft's and what can be done about this.

If I copy the files back to my hard drive from my CD there are now two files with similar names. Very confusing.

Thanks for your help

I will make the assumption you are not running into Joliet limits, with filenames over 64 charactes or filepath names over 128 characters.

The illegal characters are / ? < > \ : * | ", as well as any character you can type using the Ctrl key. They are "illegal" in that they are used for html and other computer code.

Win2000 uses NTFS, and CD burning ususally uses Joliet standards. If you name everything using Joliet standards, there shouldn't be a problem with Win2000.

Lynn

Thanks for your help

It's not a Roxio vs. Microsoft issue, as Lynn said, it's a Joliet vs. FAT32/NTFS file system issue. CD's typically use the Joliet File system, where your HD is formatted using either FAT32 or NTFS. There are slight differences between what they allow, with the HD FS being more "generous" in the allowed characters.

The other difference is file/path length. If you have a long path and file name, and you're trying to preserve the entire path on the CD, you could be hitting a limit there. Again, this is in the specifications for the CD file system, it's not a Roxio imposed restriction. Roxio is just following the rules.

Hope that helps!

Archived