• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Help? - Resulting Dvd Is Very Grainy

lmg1234

Question

I have searched the on-line help center on the Roxio Easy VHS to DVD and am not able to trouble shoot my problem nor am I able to search for definitions of options offered on this program, e.g. F:HP CDDVDW TS - L633N 0300, G: YNKNI 092FOL17W 1.03, NTSC_M, NTSC_J, NTSC_433,SECAM_B, etc. Also, I find it confusing why the directions/guide state connecting to webcam or camera and doesn't offer the choice of VHS player. I was attempting to transfer a family VHS video and supposedly successfully transfered VHS to DVD. However, when DVD is played on our DVD player to our TV, the result was a very poor quality and grainy video. When recording to DVD we selected the fastest speed or best quality/ lowest recording time. Any help with this problem is much appreciated! Thank you.

9 answers to this question

I have searched the on-line help center on the Roxio Easy VHS to DVD and am not able to trouble shoot my problem nor am I able to search for definitions of options offered on this program, e.g. F:HP CDDVDW TS - L633N 0300, G: YNKNI 092FOL17W 1.03, NTSC_M, NTSC_J, NTSC_433,SECAM_B, etc. Also, I find it confusing why the directions/guide state connecting to webcam or camera and doesn't offer the choice of VHS player. I was attempting to transfer a family VHS video and supposedly successfully transfered VHS to DVD. However, when DVD is played on our DVD player to our TV, the result was a very poor quality and grainy video. When recording to DVD we selected the fastest speed or best quality/ lowest recording time. Any help with this problem is much appreciated! Thank you.

Let's start with a Version number – see the pinned post at the top.

What OS are you using?

Then take us through it one step at a time…

Length of play is very important.

Let's start with a Version number – see the pinned post at the top.

--- I don't understand what you mean by the Version number.

What OS are you using?
---- I am using Window 7 Home Premium, copyright 2009. I also found that my operating system has 64 bit and 3.8 GB of usable space.

Then take us through it one step at a time…

Length of play is very important.

---- The length of play was 1 hour, although our home video was only 47 min. in length.

Edited to get the replies out of the quotes.

Edited by grandpabruce

To get the version number: launch VHS2DVD then select Help/About.

You should then get displays similar to the ones show in this post

BTW, to reply to a post, don't answer within the quoted text. It makes it difficult to differentiate the response from the original. Simply hit the reply button and then post your response after the 2nd quote.

Also please describe, step-by-step, what your are doing using the correct names for any options/settings you are selecting.

Hi, my version of Roxio VHS to DVD is this:"Next came the 1.2.198 version from 10/2009". I looked at the about this product and here is what it said:

Roxio VHS to DVD version: 1.2.198 SP2; 5.0.0.0

Build: 12189 A; 500B35A, VHS

Roxio Common UI Framework

Version 1.8.3489.2383

Roxio Central Framework

Version 1.8.3541.39061

Thank you for the image inserts in they are very helpful!!

Hi, my version of Roxio VHS to DVD is this:"Next came the 1.2.198 version from 10/2009". I looked at the about this product and here is what it said:

Roxio VHS to DVD version: 1.2.198 SP2; 5.0.0.0

Build: 12189 A; 500B35A, VHS

Roxio Common UI Framework

Version 1.8.3489.2383

Roxio Central Framework

Version 1.8.3541.39061

Thank you for the image inserts in they are very helpful!!

Re-read post # 4 and answer the question in the last paragraph.

You have asked me to describe, step-by-step what I am doing:

These are the steps that I follow to copy the VHS tape to DVD.

1. connect the Roxio Video Capture USB device to my laptop. Next, connect the Roxio adapter to the USB and the yellow, white, and red adapters to the VCR

2. start the Roxio VHS to DVD by double clicking and select the Video-Movie project category select plug & burn

3. insert the blank disk in the laptop DVD drive

4. under set production option- select no menu

5. next *** is where I don't know what I am doing--- select the drive: F: hpCDDVDW TS - L633N 0300 I don't know what the other drive(G: YNKNI 092FOL17W 1.03) means so I leave it on this first option. I am frustrated because the manual doesn't give me any information on this either. I searched the Roxio website and they don't explain this either.

6.I click next. On this screen, the Capture Video, I select Roxio Video Capture USB

7. record time - select Best Quality (1:00:00)

8. I don't select to Create Chapters, so I leave it at "none"

9. the options on the Input is set to Composite Video

10. play the video on the VHS player and click Capture Now on this screen

I don't have directions to explain the options or enhance picture options. Thus, I leave it at the setting that the program has for a default.

11. Finally, when the tape is completed playing, I select finish. Once the indicator box states that the burn is 100% complete, I remove the disk and play it on a TV or computer.

:) GREAT!!!

That really completes the picture of what you have and what you are doing! ;)

Some of the things we now see are that you have Win7 and you have one of the Win7 Compatible version of V2D. And that V2D is patched with the latest update for it (SP2).

Not a one of us would recommend using Plug & Burn but frankly that does not explain why your results are poor… The settings you are using should produce the Best results…

post-39730-004857600 1279451724.jpg

The reason we don’t like P&B is that it is high risk. Should the burn fail at the very end, everything is lost and all the time you spent was wasted! Doing a separate Capture and Burn splits it up and allows you much more flexibility.

About the only thing that could produce a problem would be if the original recording was recorded at LP or SLP… VHS tape is a far cry from the DVD or Blu-ray of today and it will never look as good as them!

What I suggest is some short sample captures… Use the Capture setting of DV and capture a short piece (10 seconds) from one of your tapes.

post-39730-047157400 1279451712.jpg

Then try a tape of known good quality and capture a piece from that.

Lastly, hook up to a DVD Player and capture a piece from that.

Then in Create DVD put all 3 in as separate buttons and burn. (some DVD RW discs would be a good idea - eraseable)

Let us know what you 'see' :)

Thank you very much for the advice and suggestion. I ran the test on the three different media that you suggested using the Capture Video and then Create DVD. The result was a better quality than the Plug and Burn. The DVD created from the home movie was less fuzzy and grainy. The DVD to DVD resulted in a great copy. The DVD created from the high quality VHS also resulted in a better copy than the Plug and Burn copy that I had initially created,however the hues and brightness would be better if there was a way to adjust these in the Create Video- capture video setting. That is not possible. I noted that Plug and Burn does have this capability when capturing the video. Is there a way to adjust the brightness of the video in the Capture Video setting?

Thank you very much for the advice and suggestion. I ran the test on the three different media that you suggested using the Capture Video and then Create DVD. The result was a better quality than the Plug and Burn. The DVD created from the home movie was less fuzzy and grainy. The DVD to DVD resulted in a great copy. The DVD created from the high quality VHS also resulted in a better copy than the Plug and Burn copy that I had initially created,however the hues and brightness would be better if there was a way to adjust these in the Create Video- capture video setting. That is not possible. I noted that Plug and Burn does have this capability when capturing the video. Is there a way to adjust the brightness of the video in the Capture Video setting?

Go easy on playing with Color & Brightness until you know for sure what need to be done after a test burn... Monitors do not portray color the same as a TV will...

Then the best way to handle that is Capture and Edit. In VideoWave you can isolate sections of clip by Splitting and apply Auto Color or manually tinker with the settings for that segment.

Very, very few use P&B for the reason you have seen - although I cannot understand why the settings you used yeilded the results you got...

Give it try and see how it works out ;)