• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Roxio Copy And Covert. Dvd To Avi

casablancauk

Question

I am running Roxio Creater 2010.

I want to convert DVD movies copied from the TV into AVI files to save space on discs.

I have searched everywhere in copy and convert for an option to convert to AVI in the OPTIONS link and CUSTOM link without success.

Roxio technical say that it is there but not on my software. I have the option of MPEG2, MPEG4, WMV and H.264 what ever that is but no AVI.

Any ideas?

8 answers to this question

I am running Roxio Creater 2010.

I want to convert DVD movies copied from the TV into AVI files to save space on discs.

I have searched everywhere in copy and convert for an option to convert to AVI in the OPTIONS link and CUSTOM link without success.

Roxio technical say that it is there but not on my software. I have the option of MPEG2, MPEG4, WMV and H.264 what ever that is but no AVI.

Any ideas?

You are both right -sort of. You cannot output to AVI using VCC in Creator 2010. You can output to AVI using Video Wave (Edit Video-Advanced).

If you are expecting to output to DivX type AVI, then you cannot. It was dropped in this version. Have you considered the compressed format H264 (mp4)?

OK thanks. Will this play on my DVD player. I suppose I could then convert to DivX with another program.

Why on earth drop DivX or Xvid. It's used by most of the world.

DV-avi will not play on DVD players. You do not want to convert to this format anyway since it creates huge files, eg. 60 minutes of video creates a file of about 14 Gb.

What is the formats of those video files that you "copied" from TV?

Edited by myguggi

DV-avi will not play on DVD players. You do not want to convert to this format anyway since it creates huge files, eg. 60 minutes of video creates a file of about 14 Gb.

What is the formats of those video files that you "copied" from TV?

Just a dvd file when I record off of the tele.

All I want to do is reduce the size of the file so thatr when I go on holdiday I can take my dvd player and watch loads of films off dvd disc.

Is that asking too much from Roxio

Just a dvd file when I record off of the tele.

All I want to do is reduce the size of the file so thatr when I go on holdiday I can take my dvd player and watch loads of films off dvd disc.

"just a DVD file" does not tell us anything about the format.

I can take my dvd player and watch loads of films off dvd disc.

Foremost we need to know what formats your DVD Player can play. A regular video disc may be out of the question depending on what you mean by 'loads'. :) MyDVD can create a standard video DVD with up to 3 hrs of video, but the quality might not be what you like/expect. Unfortunately, C2010 no longer supports DivX or Xvid, but there are plenty of free apps that do. You can use those to convert the video and use C2010 to burn a 'data' DVD that the DVD player can play IF your DVD player supports that format. Edited by ggrussell

Foremost we need to know what formats your DVD Player can play. A regular video disc may be out of the question depending on what you mean by 'loads'. :) MyDVD can create a standard video DVD with up to 3 hrs of video, but the quality might not be what you like/expect. Unfortunately, C2010 no longer supports DivX or Xvid, but there are plenty of free apps that do. You can use those to convert the video and use C2010 to burn a 'data' DVD that the DVD player can play IF your DVD player supports that format.

I have discovered AutoGK which seems to be just the job.

I won't bother with C2010 for this task.

Thanks for the interest.

Bye