• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Newbie Question

JimDoc

Question

I have figured out how to take VHS tapes and convert them to .AVI and then compress them to .MPEG2. No Big deal! But, is there a way to take an old VHS tape and convert it for DVD deployment on a DVD player ... i.e. no computer.

All suggestions would be appreciated

Jim

14 answers to this question

I have figured out how to take VHS tapes and convert them to .AVI and then compress them to .MPEG2. No Big deal! But, is there a way to take an old VHS tape and convert it for DVD deployment on a DVD player ... i.e. no computer.

All suggestions would be appreciated

Jim

Short of buying a DVD/VCR combo that can record to DVD - not really

I have figured out how to take VHS tapes and convert them to .AVI and then compress them to .MPEG2. No Big deal!

Jim, once you've compressed them to AVI and then expanded them again to .MPEG2 it should be no trouble for you to put them into MyDVD in Creator 2010 and make a DVD out of them. It should be even less work if you can convert the VHS tapes to .MPEG2 without going to AVI in between.

Brendon,

Thanks ... Next time I will skip the .MPEG2 step.

I eventually found the MyDVD function to create the DVD. It presents me with a screen to select what I want to burn. I click on DVD and it opens the project view with a background and "Your Title Here". This is where I get lost! I imported my movie and it puts it in the little window surrounded by the background. If I burn that to disc I get the background with a little tiny movie in the box.

What I want to do ... is take my new digitized movie and burn it to disc "using the fit to disc" option for playback on my DVD player Full Screen.

What am I missing? :unsure:

Jim

That 'little movie' is the PLAY BUTTON. Press the Play button on the DVD player's remote. If you would rather not have a menu, then check that option when you run MyDVD or from the MyDVD menu, FILE / New DVD - no menu.

Will that then allow me to create a full size (actually wide-screen tv dvd from my VHS tapes?

I captured and digitized a bunch of VHS tapes so far. Everything appears to be working fine. However, the process is long. I capture the VHS content using the USB dongle which saves the video in .AVI format. I then add an intro and convert to .mpeg2 ... and then burn the DVD.

There does not seem to be any way using the 2010 capture function to go straight to .mpeg2. Am I missing something?

I captured and digitized a bunch of VHS tapes so far. Everything appears to be working fine. However, the process is long. I capture the VHS content using the USB dongle which saves the video in .AVI format. I then add an intro and convert to .mpeg2 ... and then burn the DVD.

There does not seem to be any way using the 2010 capture function to go straight to .mpeg2. Am I missing something?

You should have a "Capture Settings" drop down box which allows you to select other qualities/formats.