• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Custom Install

mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Question

I've long been unhappy with Roxio's insistence that everything in Creator 2010 has to be installed, and think I've found a way to remove the bloat. I only want to be able to create & burn data, music, video CD/DVDs and record music from a usb turntable, so everything else is redundant (or I have better programs already, e.g. to manage digital photos I use Photoshop Elements). This works for me, but you may want to proceed with caution / back stuff up before trying for yourself:

Run the Roxio setup programme, and after inputting your serial number but before clicking OK, navigate to your user temporary folder (C:\Users\user name\AppData\Local\Temp in Vista / Windows 7 where User Name is your logon name). Copy the folder WZSE0.TMP somewhere else.

Then let Roxio setup continue and install everything. Don't let setup restart your PC at the end of this process

Use msconfig (or Regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run) to stop RoxWatchTray, CPMonitor and Roxio Burn from starting when Windows starts

Use msconfig or the Services snap-in to disable Roxio Hard Drive Watcher and Roxio MediaDB

Navigate to wherever you copied the WZSE0.TMP folder. It contains a number of sub-folders which hold the installation data for the various components. Double click the files in the relevant folders with the .msi extension (file type Windows Installation Package) to get the opportunity to repair, remove or change components:

Run the msi files in BCP_CORE_131 and BCP_EASYARCHIVE_13 or BCP_EASYARCHIVE_A64_13 to get rid of the dreadful Back on Track

Run the msi file in CINEPLAYER_53 to remove Cineplayer if you already have a programme to watch video / play dvds

Run the Roxio Creator 2010 msi file in EMC_120 to change the main components (you can remove PhotoSuite, Virtual Disk, etc.)

Run the exe programme in CINEMANOW_19 if Roxio installed Cinema Now media manager (presumably only in the US?)

You can remove Photoshow Player and Smart Sounds from the Program and Features applet in Control Panel.

Restart your PC once done

For me the components I want all seem to work OK

PC: Dell XPS 420: Intel Quadcore @ 2.40GHz

4 GB RAM

Windows 7 Ultimate

2 answers to this question

You need to be VERY careful in removing components - some of the apps are inter-linked and if you totally remove one it can have a knock-on effect.

Sure - stop apps running automatically with msconfig (that does no harm) but editing the registry to remove them is akin to playing Russian roulette.

Stopping an app from auto-running at boot is good enough and actually removing it isn't necessary. IF it's needed, it will be called and start but if it isn't there, there could well be a knock-on effect

For me the components I want all seem to work OK

PC: Dell XPS 420: Intel Quadcore @ 2.40GHz

4 GB RAM

Windows 7 Ultimate

Having a 'custom install' which would install all the critical components and then allow you to choose what else you want would be great, wouldn't it.

Your experiences will help those brave souls who also have enough skill to see what you've done, thanks.

To all those of lesser skill I'd have to say "If you don't know exactly what you're doing, then DON'T."