Smart Sound Option - Mia

boxman

Question

I just opened a previous project to change the background music from classical to jazz as a client request and found that when I select add background audio button it now takes me to my music folder and there is no tab for smart media or what ever it use to say...no longer looks like a roxio window for media selection by a regular windows explorer file...anyone have any idea what's going on with this?

post-72868-090482800 1281212960.jpg

14 answers to this question

I'm not sure if either of these are any help (or if you tried anything)

To launch the SmartSound application:

Click the Add Background Audio or Change Menu Audio buttons found in one or more of the video or slideshow components of your Roxio software suite. A dialog box will open that you can use to launch SmartSound.

To use SmartSound audio:

1 In the Type box, choose whether to use music or sound effects as your background audio.

2 In the Where to Search box, choose one of the following options:

Owned Titles: SmartSound files that you own, including those stored on your hard disk and removable discs, such as CD-ROM.

Store: SmartSound files available for purchase.

3 If you will be exporting the SmartSound audio, in the Duration box, specify how long you want the exported audio to be.

4 To search for audio by Style, follow these steps:

a For Browse by, select Style.

b In the Style/Library box, select the type of music you want (for example, Blues).

5 To search for audio by Library, follow these steps:

a For Browse by, select Library.

b In the Style/Library box, select the library you want to use.

6 To search for audio by Title, for Browse by, select Title.

7 In the Title box, select a title.

8 In the Variations box, select one of the available variations.

9 To automatically fit the music to your production, check the Auto Fit box.

10 Click Preview (the Arrow button in the Saved History area) to play the selected audio.

11 Optional: To save your selection as a WAV file, click Export To, browse to the folder in which you want to store the new file, enter the file name, and click Save.

12 If you own the background audio, you can add it to your project by clicking OK. If you don’t own it, you can click Purchase to buy it and add it to your project.

-o-o-o-o-

By default, Windows hides the common directory folders. To show hidden file and folders, do the following:

1. Open the Windows control panel.

2. Double-click on the Folder Options icon.

3. From the Folder Options window, click on the View tab.

4. From the View tab, select the "Show hidden files and folder" option.

5. Click Apply and OK.

===== How do I remove the Common Data =====

Open Add/Remove Programs (XP) or Programs and Features (Vista) in the Windows control panel. You will see a line item for "SmartSound Common Data" which can be selected and removed. Doing so will remove all SmartSound music as well as the SmartSound music database and supporting files.

For additional support, contact the SmartSound Software support department at 1-818-920-9132 or via email at support@smartsound.com

-o-o-o-o-

Or did you try re-installing Smartsound itself (from the second disc in the package)?

Okay now I'm really puzzled...

I did a complete uninstall and did a new install...

results were basically same as before when trying to access smart sound functions...but it does default to a different folder.

I have sent smartsound support a request for a solution but if anyone else knows of a fix I'd sure appreciate hearing it...

post-72868-082094300 1281287199.jpg

Do you have the Smart Sound basic or the SonicFire Pro?

As a last resort, you may want to consider installing the latest version of Smart Sound plug in for Roxio here. The version I have in Video Wave is 3.0.8.0. I have not updated it. I think that this may work for you.

Edited by sknis

Okay now I am in a real nightmare...It took almost two hours but in order to make sure the install was really clean I completly uninstalled all roxio and sonic folders per directions... when my desktop came back up I now find...I can't open any programs, it will not recognize the network or connect to internet (direct cable connection)...all desktop and program icons show as white paper and it will not open system restore so I can go back to earlier today...even in safe mode...

I'm dead in the water and only have laptop which doesn't have all my design software on it and I need my laptop back ASAP for business...any help appreciated...

okay now i know the real reason to do that restore cd thing...glad i did...now have desktop system back the way it was last week before the smart sound issues started...now need to reinstall roxio will let you know if that finally fixed it or caused more problems...

Well Daithi I agree that a re-install should not have been necessary but since I was unaware that the music creation portion of the package was separate, like I was supposed to guess that?...and fyi since I have been installing software starting around 1981 with a radio shack TRS-80 a reinstall has usually been the method I used to correct major operational problems experienced with any windows program... I have to say that with a few notable exceptions from the early 90's (some early CADD programs were worse that this as far as uninstalling but not by much) I can't recall a program that required two pages of instructions be completed just to be sure the program was completely uninstalled in a long time. I'm know there are programs that require a much more intensive removal process (take a uninstall of Adobe creative suites for example) but for some reason the programmers at Adobe actually write the code required that removes all traces of the program in their UNINSTALL program for the user. Don't you think it's just a little lame that roxio forces users to go through two pages of manual instructions...do major edits of both msconfedit and regedit...and manually delete up to 10 program files...simply to uninstall the program...maybe it's just me but there is something just not right about this...

But on to the issue of the shoot yourself in the head again loop that I have been put in...

I did the uninstall following the instructions here...

http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/content/kb/Creator/000207CR&PARAMS=set-locale=en

this resulted in NOTHING working when computer restarted and required a complete system restore to make machine function.

when roxio was installed again and started the certificate & permission errors pop up...

so I tracked down the supposed fix at... http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/content/000244CR&PARAMS=set-locale=en

and completed that with no effect what so ever. Still pops up certificate errors and at the end of the instructions for the fix you will notice that it says "If the instructions above does not resolve the issue, then you will need to perform a clean install of your Roxio software"

which has already been done and resulted in having to do a complete system restore...

so does anyone have any other ideas or work arounds on how to get the program to work again because the documented fixes supplied and tried haven't worked for me...

my time log says I now have over 10 hours invested already, just trying to get video wave to work again as advertised...I can't afford much more of this...that high priced adobe product, with actual live installation support, is starting to look more and more affordable...

I do real estate video tours as part of my business... videowave has been my primary editor and I would really like to keep using it, and recommending to others, but the frequent lock up/crashes and now this problem with simply getting the program to work makes me question this course...

Uninstall (again) using Revo Uninstaller in the moderate mode. After the Roxio installer does its thing, click next and delete everything shown in the next two windows.

Prepare your computer like this. Reinstall. Best done to a new administrator account.

If you still have issues, please come back with any error codes.

Edited by sknis

Uninstall (again) using Revo Uninstaller in the moderate mode. After the Roxio installer does its thing, click next and delete everything shown in the next two windows.

Prepare your computer like this. Reinstall. Best done to a new administrator account.

If you still have issues, please come back with any error codes.

Thank you for your help...that finally got the job done... the Revo uninstaller worked great and I just wish I had known about that a couple of days ago!

smart sound option is back and everything appears to be working fine except that now for some reason I don't have an option to save as a .png file in photoshop CS4 don't know if they are related but I'm off to figure that issue out...