• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

No Burn Speed Detected

edenn

Question

I have tried to burn video files with Creator 2010, and every time I get the message that it does not have a recording speed for my burner. I am using a Pioneer DVR-104 ver4. How do I establish a burn speed for this drive?

Thanks for your help.

5 answers to this question

I have tried to burn video files with Creator 2010, and every time I get the message that it does not have a recording speed for my burner. I am using a Pioneer DVR-104 ver4. How do I establish a burn speed for this drive?

Thanks for your help.

Do you have a DVD in the drive?

Go here to 1) detect your hardware and firmware version number. 2) Update the firmware if required.

Burn speed should be detected automatically.

What application in Creator 2009 are you using to burn the video to a disc? For best results: In Create DVD, select to burn to an ISO file (Image) at best quality. Name it and select the location where you want it. Let it encode. After it finishes, go to the Home page and select copy ISO to Disc. If you get a message that the source is larger than the target, use Copy DVD in the Video Copy and Convert application. On the left screen, select to browse for the ISO file.

In the Copy ISO application, you can select "Options" and then the speed for your drive with the DVD in the drive.

In Video Coiapy and Converet, if you select options and then select burn set up, you can select the burn speed.

I think you have other problems. Perhaps the firmware update will help. Be careful and follow the instructions exactly or you will make a doorstop.

Edited by sknis

Thank you for your help. I went to the Pioneer site and did the hardware check,. It said I had the following;Device Type: DVD/CD-Rom

Vendor ID: PIONEER

Product ID: DVD-RW DVR-104

Product Rev: 4.00

Vendor Info: 02/10/07 PIONEER

I downloaded the firmware update, and it "Could not find the drive". Pioneer said that if you received this message, it was because the firmware update is for a different drive. I am running WinXP PRO w/SP3. When I check the "Device Manager" in control panel, it shows the exact same DVD drive model as shown above....but the firmware update can not find the drive.

Yes, I did have a dvd disk in my drive. I am not using Create 2009, I am using Creator 2010 Pro.

I followed your instructions exactly. Made an ISO, then did the "Burn Disc Image", and it worked. It burned at a very slow speed of 2x, but it did burn. I will try to burn another video tomorrow, and see if the dvd speed selection shows up. When I burnt the ISO, it did not have an option to select burn speed, but it did burn.

Thank you very much for your help, you were right on with your suggestions.

edenn

Looks like the last firmware update for that drive was1.41. The README file in the zip:

Make sure there is no disc in the drive then run the update executable file. Follow the prompts to install the update. Some drive models are very similar so if the update is not able to "find a tartget drive" please be sure to check that the update you have is the correct one for your drive model.
Edited by ggrussell

If it's burning, albeit at minimum speed, then the drive is detected (if it wasn't it wouldn't write at all)

Check that DMA is enabled - if it is and it still isn't showing, then go to device manager and uninstall the IDE controllers. Reboot and let Windows detect them again (sometimes they get screwed up)

For flashing the drive ROM, follow the instructions EXACTLY as they are on the website

After checking the Pioneer web site, I discovered that this drive "Pioneer DVR-104" has a max burning speed of 2X.

This is an older Sony VAIO that I picked up to use as a second (Backup) computer. I assumed (bad thing) that Sony came into the computer market long after 2X drives were a thing of the past. Well I will be getting a newer burner this week. The problem will be in getting a new drive to interface with the built-in front of the Sony computer. I can always go external, but would like to keep it internal if possible.

Thanks to all for your great suggestions, you were able to get the old gal to write, even if it only at 2X.

gi7omy, the secondary IDE controller was set to PIO, which I have changed to DMA.