Rip Cds: Track Listing From Internet Incorrect

Ham Sandwich

Question

When I insert a CD to be ripped, Creator Premier checks an online database for track listings. Often, there are 3 or 4 options with the same name for a given CD. So I choose one, and it turns out the track listings are in Japanese, or just plain incorrect. I'd like to try one of the other options, but there is no way to get that menu to appear again. If I remove and reinsert the CD, it simply remembers my previous choice. If I restart Roxio, it remembers my previous choice. How do I tell Roxio to check the internet again, and present me with the list of possible matching albums again?

Thank you.

5 answers to this question

Ham Sandwich,

Look for a file called cddb.db. When you find it, delete it [it will be re-created next time you rip a CD].

You should get a fresh chance to choose a CDDB entry when you next insert the CD.

Where USERNAME is your account name on your computer,

In XP my file is in C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temp\Cddb\12061696\

In Vista it is in C:\Users\USERNAME\Appdata\Local\Temp\Cddb\12061696\

In Windows 7 it's in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\Cddb\12061696\

You may need to tell Windows to 'Show hidden files and folders' before you can see your way down the path to that file. You do that through the Folder Options > View menu in Windows. Please ask if you need help doing that.

I can't guarantee the folder under Cddb will be named 12061696 on your machine - each machine might have a different number - but start looking under the Cddb folder for that .db file.

If you pre-populate some of the information, you reduce the chance of getting the wrong information.

If you uncheck the "Use..." box below where you enter the information, that wrong information will disappear. You can then try again with more pre-populated info.

Sometimes it just doesn't work anyway and you have to enter the info you want.

Hey Brendon, that worked, thank you.

I'm on Vista 64, and found the file here:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Roxio\RoxioCentral\cddb.db

I've been ripping my entire CD collection, and while Roxio is generally pretty friendly, this tracks problem comes up about every one in ten CDs. (Even for mainstream listings like The Offspring.) If you have Roxio's ear, please let them know that it's kind of a nuisance. For now, though, I'm happy to use your solution.

Sknis, thanks for the pre-population suggestion. I'll see if I can get that to work. I'm using the Rip CDs interface, and I think the suggestion list appears before I have the option to pre-populate anything. I couldn't find the "use..." box you mentioned. I'm using Creator Premier 10.2.606.

In this case it's not actually the fault of the program - it's the online database (usually gracenotes). All the program does is link to that and they supply the data.

Unfortunately if it's multi-choice, the app doesn't know which is 'corrrect'

In this case it's not actually the fault of the program - it's the online database (usually gracenotes). All the program does is link to that and they supply the data.

Unfortunately if it's multi-choice, the app doesn't know which is 'corrrect'

Sure, but Roxio doesn't handle Gracenotes' failure gracefully. Once I've made a choice, I can either live with 15 tracks listed in Japanese, edit them all by hand, or exit the application, delete an undocumented temp file and guess again. It's a pity to have to go through all that when the correct data is available via the same system. Maybe this will improve my guessing ability.

EDIT: In any case, I'm quite happy that my question was answered here so quickly.

Edited by Ham Sandwich