Dvd Movie Prematurely Cut Short When Playing

psmallri

Question

I will try to get this right so I don't get treated like a complete numpty!

I have Creator 2010, the full product, and have happily created a movie consisting of loads of photos and short movies all intermingled. I happily create the movie in Roxio (I guess VideoWave or something) and it happily creates an MPG. I can happily play back that MPG and it plays in it's entirety quite happily.

Now, I go to create my DVD, in something which might be MyDVD, and happily create an ISO image.

I then happily Load that ISO image (it's a new facility in Windows7 to load an ISO image as if it were a DVD Drive and saves burning the image to a real DVD) and play it - it happily starts happily but terminates the movie quite a bit before the real end of my MPG. The same results when I really do burn it to a DVD.

I have tried deleting everything I can think of (all those nasty stupid DAT files that cause thumbnail quality problems in StoryLine), added extra frames and photos, deleted frames and photos but it still stops in playback at the same place but not the same photo (due to the deletions I did) so it seems to be time dependant. The DVD or Image is only 2.7gb when fully burned so not a space problem. My disk has only 435gb free space so not HDD space problem. I run on quad processor with 4gb memory, and some kind of video processor (NVida perhaps) so plenty of poke and space on my PC.

Any ideas happily recieved.

9 answers to this question

I will try to get this right so I don't get treated like a complete numpty!

I have Creator 2010, the full product, and have happily created a movie consisting of loads of photos and short movies all intermingled. I happily create the movie in Roxio (I guess VideoWave or something) and it happily creates an MPG. I can happily play back that MPG and it plays in it's entirety quite happily.

Now, I go to create my DVD, in something which might be MyDVD, and happily create an ISO image.

I then happily Load that ISO image (it's a new facility in Windows7 to load an ISO image as if it were a DVD Drive and saves burning the image to a real DVD) and play it - it happily starts happily but terminates the movie quite a bit before the real end of my MPG. The same results when I really do burn it to a DVD.

I have tried deleting everything I can think of (all those nasty stupid DAT files that cause thumbnail quality problems in StoryLine), added extra frames and photos, deleted frames and photos but it still stops in playback at the same place but not the same photo (due to the deletions I did) so it seems to be time dependant. The DVD or Image is only 2.7gb when fully burned so not a space problem. My disk has only 435gb free space so not HDD space problem. I run on quad processor with 4gb memory, and some kind of video processor (NVida perhaps) so plenty of poke and space on my PC.

Any ideas happily recieved.

How long is the video? What is important is the length (time), not the size of the video. You can get one hour of best quality video on a DVD. You can get up to 2 hours at crappy resolution. What is happening in the video when it hangs - transition, audio change, image to video or vice versa etc.?

My video is 14 minutes long, and in total with all the other videos in my project/production they are only 41 minutes. When it gets to the point where it stops it simply stops that video then goes onto the next video (as I have it set to play all videos but it does same when I have it set to return to menu). At the position where it stops there is just a photo or transition and I have tried deleting the photo and transition where it stops but it simply stops there again (at a different photo/transition as I deleted the previous ones).

My video is 14 minutes long, and in total with all the other videos in my project/production they are only 41 minutes. When it gets to the point where it stops it simply stops that video then goes onto the next video (as I have it set to play all videos but it does same when I have it set to return to menu). At the position where it stops there is just a photo or transition and I have tried deleting the photo and transition where it stops but it simply stops there again (at a different photo/transition as I deleted the previous ones).

Are you using any of the 3D transitions. Here is where the information on your video device is important. Go to Windows/start/type in dxdiag/ Click OK/look at the display tab and post what it shows on the left. Have you ever updated the drivers for that device.

Download and run the free VLC playeron that ISO file. Does it stop at the same place?

Go back to Video Wave and load that project. Switch to software render. Preview the file. Did you lose any transitions? Where did you get the music for the video (if you are using extra music)? Output the video to an mpg2 file for DVD best quality. Does it hang there? What is going on at that time. Is it always the same "video" that hangs?

I have annotated your response as there were so many questions and things requested.

Are you using any of the 3D transitions. No, just simple Dissolve

Here is where the information on your video device is important. Go to Windows/start/type in dxdiag/ Click OK/look at the display tab and post what it shows on the left. See attachment dxdiag.txt

Have you ever updated the drivers for that device. Probably as I do try to keep my PC up to date where relevant

Download and run the free VLC playeron that ISO file. Does it stop at the same place? Will try that later

Go back to Video Wave and load that project. Switch to software render. Preview the file.

Did you lose any transitions? No

Where did you get the music for the video (if you are using extra music)? www.freeplaymusic.com (royalty free music site)

Output the video to an mpg2 file for DVD best quality. I always use MPG-2 Best Quality

Does it hang there? No

What is going on at that time. n/a

Is it always the same "video" that hangs? No, I have other videos in same project/production that stop prematurely at different times and places (they are shorter videos but much the same mix of photos and movies plus music)

If I've missed any of your questions or requests that are important please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

DxDiag.txt

I have annotated your response as there were so many questions and things requested.

Are you using any of the 3D transitions. No, just simple Dissolve

Here is where the information on your video device is important. Go to Windows/start/type in dxdiag/ Click OK/look at the display tab and post what it shows on the left. See attachment dxdiag.txt

Have you ever updated the drivers for that device. Probably as I do try to keep my PC up to date where relevant

Download and run the free VLC playeron that ISO file. Does it stop at the same place? Will try that later

Go back to Video Wave and load that project. Switch to software render. Preview the file.

Did you lose any transitions? No

Where did you get the music for the video (if you are using extra music)? www.freeplaymusic.com (royalty free music site)

Output the video to an mpg2 file for DVD best quality. I always use MPG-2 Best Quality

Does it hang there? No

What is going on at that time. n/a

Is it always the same "video" that hangs? No, I have other videos in same project/production that stop prematurely at different times and places (they are shorter videos but much the same mix of photos and movies plus music)

If I've missed any of your questions or requests that are important please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

I assume you add a single mpeg2 file (rendered in Videowave) to your myDVD project. Do you then create a menu or do you have "no menu" project?

What quality setting are you using when you burn your iso image file? What program are you using when you play the iso image file?

I don't know what you mean by "all those nasty stupid DAT files that cause thumbnail quality problems in StoryLine"?

"Load image file" is not something new but has been around since at least easy Media Creator 7/7.5 and has nothing to do with W7.

It would help if you were specific when referring to programs from the suite: "I guess VideoWave or something" or "in something which might be MyDVD," could mean several things.

I assume you add a single mpeg2 file (rendered in Videowave) to your myDVD project. Do you then create a menu or do you have "no menu" project? I have in fact added five MPG Movies created in VideoWave and have a menu with 5 options on it potining at each of the Movies.

What quality setting are you using when you burn your iso image file? I'm not entirely sure what you mean as when I click the Burn button in MyDVD it takes me to screen that has two options, burn to disc or save image file, so I unselect burn to disc and select save image. I can't see anything that suggests quality of any kind.

What program are you using when you play the iso image file? I right click the ISO file in Windows Explorer, then select the LOAD option to mount the ISO image in Drive G: (as if I have a drive G: but in fact I don't). Then I right click drive G: and hit PLAY then it plays the DVD in Windows Media Player Version 12.

I don't know what you mean by "all those nasty stupid DAT files that cause thumbnail quality problems in StoryLine"? Sorry this was a reference to a problem in Roxio 2010 that seems to have existed since 2006 that cause the thumbnails displayed in the StoryLine in VideoWave to be of very poor quality and if you simply delete them the thumbnails appear as normal.

"Load image file" is not something new but has been around since at least easy Media Creator 7/7.5 and has nothing to do with W7. I bow to your superior knowledge but whatever it is it's there in Windows Explorer when you right click

It would help if you were specific when referring to programs from the suite: "I guess VideoWave or something" or "in something which might be MyDVD," could mean several things. I'm a bear of simple brain and never know if I'm working in one thing or another or with Productions or Projects, Roxio isn't intuitive at all and for us simple bears is sometimes too difficult if you don't use it everyday

I assume you add a single mpeg2 file (rendered in Videowave) to your myDVD project. Do you then create a menu or do you have "no menu" project? I have in fact added five MPG Movies created in VideoWave and have a menu with 5 options on it potining at each of the Movies.

What quality setting are you using when you burn your iso image file? I'm not entirely sure what you mean as when I click the Burn button in MyDVD it takes me to screen that has two options, burn to disc or save image file, so I unselect burn to disc and select save image. I can't see anything that suggests quality of any kind.

What program are you using when you play the iso image file? I right click the ISO file in Windows Explorer, then select the LOAD option to mount the ISO image in Drive G: (as if I have a drive G: but in fact I don't). Then I right click drive G: and hit PLAY then it plays the DVD in Windows Media Player Version 12.

I don't know what you mean by "all those nasty stupid DAT files that cause thumbnail quality problems in StoryLine"? Sorry this was a reference to a problem in Roxio 2010 that seems to have existed since 2006 that cause the thumbnails displayed in the StoryLine in VideoWave to be of very poor quality and if you simply delete them the thumbnails appear as normal.

"Load image file" is not something new but has been around since at least easy Media Creator 7/7.5 and has nothing to do with W7. I bow to your superior knowledge but whatever it is it's there in Windows Explorer when you right click

It would help if you were specific when referring to programs from the suite: "I guess VideoWave or something" or "in something which might be MyDVD," could mean several things. I'm a bear of simple brain and never know if I'm working in one thing or another or with Productions or Projects, Roxio isn't intuitive at all and for us simple bears is sometimes too difficult if you don't use it everyday

So you have five titles on your main menu page? Did you set up the linkage correctly on what to do after playing each video title?

Quality settings are found in the drop-down box near the burn button on the myDVD main page. You should select "same as original" or "HQ quality". On this page you also select what type of DVD you burn to (even though you will be burning to an iso image file). On the burn page there are actually 3 options: burn to disc, create image file and create folder set.

I have never had aproblem with those dat files. Of course those little dat files are poor quality since they are very highly compressed images of the first fram in each video clip. They are not used in creating your video. If deleted they are simply created again the next time you open the project.

OK thanks for all the advice but I have managed to resolve the problem.

The MPG's created in VideoWave were fine, as individual Movies they played fine and complete.

However, in MyDVD using those correct Movies resulted in them playing back and terminating prematurely, so I guessed the problem was in MyDVD or the Project used in MyDVD.

So, I simply deleted all the movies from the Menu and added them again and hey presto they now play right to the end.

I should point out that when the problem occurred the Movie didn't just stop while playing leaving some unplayed piece of the Movie showing in the Progress Bar, it played to the end of the Movie but the end of the Movie in MyDVD was before the end of the Movie created in VideoWave.

It would appear there is a problem in MyDVD and/or VideoWave but whatever, at least there is a simple solution (as long as I don't have multiple complex menu pages).

And finally, a note for MyGuggi - you said..... I don't know what you mean by "all those nasty stupid DAT files that cause thumbnail quality problems in StoryLine"?

And in October 2009 you said "Those small images stored in the DAT file are just the thumbnails that are shown in the storyline panel. That way they do not have to be created each time the project is started. If you delete the DAT file then the next time those thumbnails are recreated."

And thanks to whoever suggested download VLC Player, which I have done as I've always been quite a fan of things non-Microsoft and OpenSource.