Roxio Vhs Capture Device Glitch - Oy!

frankv41

Question

I purchased Creator 2010 in January... shortly thereafter purchased Video Capture USB, which worked without problems (fantastically well, actually) for 4 months. Now, whenever I try to capture from my VCR, the picture and sound breaks up every 2 seconds or so... when I play the tape (any tape, and not commercial tapes... things I have taped myself), it plays perfectly fine in the preview window UNTIL I hit "capture now"... then the picture and sound breaks up. I stop the capture, stop the tape, and after that, the blue screen has strange interference (small black pixilation/interference when I drag my cursor over the preview screen). If I close Media Capture and re-enter, all is fine until I hit the Capture now button. The glitches are present in the captured data, and completely unusable. The tapes play perfectly when the VCR is hooked up to my television.

Over the last two months of troubleshooting, I have tried all levels of capture (DV down to DVD LP).

I have turned off my AVG, Mal-ware, and Ad-ware, and internet when I try to capture.

I have disabled any processes running at start up that might interfere.

I have defragged my disk.

Plugged the device directly into my USB port without the extension (and tried both USB ports on my laptop).

Here are my computer specs (and I know I am working on a laptop, but it worked perfectly for 4 months, so that's not the problem):

ThinkPad T42

Windows XP SP3

Intel 1.7 GHz Pentium processor

1.5 GB RAM (And just added 1 GB of RAM... I only had 512 MB when it was working)

16 GB free on my hard drive (and have had as little as 9 GB free back when it was working)

ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 video card

I can still capture from DVDs and burn with no problem, but as the main reason I bought Roxio and the capture device was to transfer my tapes... Very, very frustrating...

The one thing I haven't done is a complete clean reinstall on Roxio and the device... I have read different accounts of what order to perform the clean install.

Can anyone help? Could it simply be fried out? The device does feel "hot" to the touch...

Thank you,

F

14 answers to this question

Of course it could fail, but hot-to-touch is normal.

Your HDD space is a bit low, but defragged it should not be a factor.

Your processor is minimal but again, defragged and background operations turned off, should not be a factor…

2 things I would try:

1. A completely different source, say a DVD Player or camcorder with a/v output. (wouldn't hurt to unplug and reconnect all connections several times)

2. Removing that RAM!

Do them one at a time and see what happens.

You could also be having problems with hard drive space. This from system requirements:

"Hard drive with at least 3 GB free space for the installation process. DVD and BD copy, video editing and authoring may require large amount of free disk space, up to several 10's of GB."

2 things I would try:

1. A completely different source, say a DVD Player or camcorder with a/v output. (wouldn't hurt to unplug and reconnect all connections several times)

2. Removing that RAM!

Do them one at a time and see what happens.

Hi Jim, and thanks so much for your help... I've tried both your suggestions (DVD player, and removed that RAM and reinstalled it... I only added the RAM yesterday, btw, in an effort to finally figure out what's causing the glitch).

Neither helped the issue, unfortunately...

I've also updated all my drivers, and that didn't do the trick...

I can't help but feel something has found its way onto my computer (not a virus, but an unwanted driver or something) that is causing interference with the signal... the way it's breaking up only after I hit the capture button makes me feel like it's triggering some other device that I don't need.

I also must admit, I didn't pay attention to what was on my computer until things DIDN'T work, and I'm unsure about something in my Device Manager called a "Legacy Video Capture Device", which I don't recall always having on my computer. Not sure what its use is, and I have the Roxio USB Capture Device.

Any advice?

Thanks again,

F

Hi Jim, and thanks so much for your help... I've tried both your suggestions (DVD player, and removed that RAM and reinstalled it... I only added the RAM yesterday, btw, in an effort to finally figure out what's causing the glitch).

Neither helped the issue, unfortunately...

I've also updated all my drivers, and that didn't do the trick...

I can't help but feel something has found its way onto my computer (not a virus, but an unwanted driver or something) that is causing interference with the signal... the way it's breaking up only after I hit the capture button makes me feel like it's triggering some other device that I don't need.

I also must admit, I didn't pay attention to what was on my computer until things DIDN'T work, and I'm unsure about something in my Device Manager called a "Legacy Video Capture Device", which I don't recall always having on my computer. Not sure what its use is, and I have the Roxio USB Capture Device.

Any advice?

Thanks again,

F

Try capturing with Windows Movie Maker. If you have a problem there then your problem is not C2010 related but could be device related

Forget about the "Legacy Video Capture Device" as a source of your problem. I think everybody has that on their XP system, It has been on mine from day 1.

With only 16GB of space available, do you defrag before each capture. With that liitle free space available, defragmentation occurs very quickly which causes all sorts of glitches when capturing.

Try capturing with Windows Movie Maker. If you have a problem there then your problem is not C2010 related but could be device related

With only 16GB of space available, do you defrag before each capture. With that little free space available, defragmentation occurs very quickly which causes all sorts of glitches when capturing.

Hi Walt, and thanks for getting back to me!

I just tried to capture with WMM, and the capture was slightly less jittery (with image jumping only every five seconds or so), but there were many dropped frames, and most curiously, a 60 second clip was broken up into three different files (I assume a new file was created wherever there was a major glitch). I tried three different tapes, with the same result. And of course, I went through the normal routine before (defragged, turned off everything else, etc.)

Where does that leave me? Could this mean the USB device is bad?

Thanks again for all of your help, gentlemen...

Best,

F

What you describe keeps going back to your PC not being able to keep up with the capture stream!

Try another test cap only set the capture quality to DV HQ. – Actually try it both as DV and DV HQ to see if there is any difference.

Hi Jim!

Thanks for chiming in again... Are you talking about changing the capture quality in Windows Movie Maker? Because I'm not able to find how to do that, unfamiliar as I am with WMM...

I have already (as recently as this morning) tried more tests on the Roxio Media Capture Device, going in quality from DV to DVD HQ, DVD SP, and down to DVD LP... It's slightly better with DVD LP, but still unusable. The strangest thing is that it worked for so long with no issues; in fact, I've increased the RAM and hard drive space since it stopped working. As I said before, it worked without incident with 512 MB of RAM and as little as 9 GB of free space on the hard drive... Now I've added 1 GB of RAM and have almost 16 GB free.

Very, very puzzling, as I feel like it's something amazingly simple (and fixable) that's causing the problem, especially it did work.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm up for trying anything... Would a clean reinstall of Creator help?

Best,

F

There is always the possibility that the device itself has gone bad.

Hi Gary... Thanks for your response...

Is there any way to test and see if the device is still working? For instance, could I capture to an external hard drive and then copy the files back to my laptop? I have one with 200 GB of free space...

That may be a stupid question, sorry if it is...

Best,

F

Hello anyone and everyone... Have returned from vacation with new determination to figure out why I still can't capture from my VCR without the major glitches.

The device is working in WMM, but is still breaking up when I try to capture in Roxio. I'd prefer to capture it as an mpeg, as the quality is better than a wmv. There is definitely something interfering with the capture in Roxio. What could that possibly be?

I now have 18G free on this computer, and it worked perfectly for so many months. I notice in WMM you have the ability to turn off Roxio filters if they cause problems. Could something be doing the same in Roxio?

Thanks in advance for any help. And yes, I defrag, turn off any unnecessary processes, every time before I try to capture.

Best,

Frank

What is the full size of your hard drive that now has 18G available. What are you using to defrag it? We need to eliminate this obvious concern before any other trouble shooting should be done.

1) Use Revo Uninstaller in the Moderate modeto remove programs that you no longer want/need from your computer. You would be surprised how many are there.

2) Use CCleaner to get rid of junk files. Don't get rid of cookies if you want to keep them and do not use the Registry Cleaner part.

3) Use Auslogics Defragmenterto defrag your hard drive to Smart defraggerto keep it defragged automatically.

4) Move files that you don't need on your laptop to an external drive; I'm afraid that if you try to capture to your USB connected hard drive, then your computer will not keep up with the capture and transfer.

5) How many video project files do you have on the computer that are trials or obsolete? Get rid of them.

6) Make sure your laptops power down settings are turned off and the computer is set to full power at all times. It may have been changed accidentally.

7) Have you tried a) a different VCR player or B) tried to copy one of the old tapes that worked before?

Edited by sknis

What is the full size of your hard drive that now has 18G available. What are you using to defrag it? We need to eliminate this obvious concern before any other trouble shooting should be done.

1) Use Revo Uninstaller in the Moderate modeto remove programs that you no longer want/need from your computer. You would be surprised how many are there.

2) Use CCleaner to get rid of junk files. Don't get rid of cookies if you want to keep them and do not use the Registry Cleaner part.

3) Use Auslogics Defragmenterto defrag your hard drive to Smart defraggerto keep it defragged automatically.

4) Move files that you don't need on your laptop to an external drive; I'm afraid that if you try to capture to your USB connected hard drive, then your computer will not keep up with the capture and transfer.

5) How many video project files do you have on the computer that are trials or obsolete? Get rid of them.

6) Make sure your laptops power down settings are turned off and the computer is set to full power at all times. It may have been changed accidentally.

7) Have you tried a) a different VCR player or B) tried to copy one of the old tapes that worked before?

Hi... Thanks for the reply...

My hard drive is 34.3GB

I was using the Disk Defrag on the computer... I've now installed Auslogics and defragged with it.

All unnecessary files have been moved, and all trial video projects have been deleted.

I was already using CCleaner to get rid of junk files, and installed Revo Uninstaller... Got rid of some unwanted files.

Yes, I've tried two VCRs and tried all kinds of tapes, including ones previously captured... Still having the same issues.

Not sure what the best power setting is... I currently have it at "Max Battery"

Any further suggestions?

Best,

Frank

Hi... Thanks for the reply...

My hard drive is 34.3GB

I was using the Disk Defrag on the computer... I've now installed Auslogics and defragged with it.

All unnecessary files have been moved, and all trial video projects have been deleted.

I was already using CCleaner to get rid of junk files, and installed Revo Uninstaller... Got rid of some unwanted files.

Yes, I've tried two VCRs and tried all kinds of tapes, including ones previously captured... Still having the same issues.

Not sure what the best power setting is... I currently have it at "Max Battery"

Any further suggestions?

Best,

Frank

Read your manual and make sure you are using AC Power only. Max battery sure sounds like you have the computer set to maximize the time that you can run on battery. OPne the Windows power setting and make sure it is set to never go to power save mode and any other settings that will reduce power on laptops. They are notorious for that.

What computer do you have? How old is it? I haven't seen a laptop with that small a hard drive in a long, long, time. That is also a weird size unless it is a solid state drive.