• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 28 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Multiple Idvd Projects

Candace Bland

Question

OS 10.6.4

Toast 10.0.7

I created 4 iDVD projects & want to burn them to 1 DVD. (iDVD only burns 1 project to one DVD at a time.) Mac User Group said Toast should work. Studied the manual. Toast won't recognize iDVD projects as valid files. I've tried exporting from iDVD in many formats, e.g. .mp4, .mov, .img, & VIDEO_TS. Then I tried to burn each of those formats using different Toast settings (since the directions in the manual don't work). Tried Toast option Video > VIDEO_TS Folders, VIDEO_TS compilation, & DVD-Video choices and Toast option [Data > Mac & PC and DVD-ROM]. DVDs are unreadable or only one original project will play.

I used Memorex DVDs (thank heaven RW, b/c I've had to burn them over & over--and yes I did a totally clean erasure each time). Is there a problem with this media?

This project is the only reason I bought Toast. I want to keep the cool visual options/formats from iDVD, not re-create in iPhoto slideshows (which would probably work, even w/o Toast). (Daughter's wedding--I'd like to finish it before their 5-year anniversary.) :-\

Thanks for any help you can give.

7 answers to this question

You need to have Toast author a new VIDEO_TS folder that includes the videos that are within each of your iDVD projects. Here are the steps:

Open an iDVD project and save as a disc image. Do this for each one.

Mount each of the disc images by using the option available in Toast's Utilities menu or by control clicking on the file in the Finder and choose Mount It from the contextual menu. This probably will open DVD Player which you can close.

Choose DVD with the top button of the Toast Media Browser. You'll see text in the browser window representing each of the mounted disc images. Select them and add them to the Toast Video window with DVD video selected as the format. (You also can double click on the text in the Media Browser to view the titles within each mounted disc image and double click on each title to see the chapters within each title).

Prepare the menu the way you want and burn your DVD (or choose Save as Disc Image if you want to preview how it will look in DVD Player before burning to disc). If you choose Save as Disc Image you can burn it to disc using the Image File setting in the Copy window.

Bless you for the precise, clear instructions. I got further than before. I had to select a menu type in Toast. I set the number of menu buttons to automatic. The greatest number it provides is 6. I have 7 projects. One of them has 3 videos in its iDVD menu. Another has two videos. All for a total of 10 videos. Only 6 show up on the DVD's menu screen, & I can't use a right arrow to navigate to another page/list to see the others. The videos in the projects that contained more than one video have been split/listed separately.

The videos are out of order from how I had them ordered in the Toast content window. So one of the videos from the project of 3 is not available, & neither are 3 other single-video projects; the 4 are missing from the menu of 6 choices in Toast.

The videos play now, but the speed and audio are distorted. The music keeps skipping & the speed of the slideshow is too fast--it's like the show is too fast & the audio skips to keep up. [The only thing I did when setting up the menu that I think could be a problem is that I deselected the "automatically play" option, but it doesn't seem likely that that would be the culprit.]

I've also lost the introduction "themes" (music & photos that run at the beginning) from the projects. I'd love to have them retained. And then, from there, one could select the multiple videos from the 2 projects that had more than one show. Instead the Toast video intro screen shows one photo from each show. The ones they show are not the ones from the intro pages of the projects.

I'd like to have the right key photos and have the projects appear in order on the DVD, but I can live without that. Getting all the movies to be available and getting them to play at the right speed are the two main problems.

The other question is, again, whether the media could be a problem. I have Memorex R/W DVDs. I thought I saw on a forum somewhere that these could cause problems with Toast. I can travel to the city to buy a different brand, if that would help.

I feel like I'm onto the solution with your help.

Thank you so much for your kind help!

Candace

Edited by Candace Bland

Bless you for the precise, clear instructions. I got further than before. I had to select a menu type in Toast. I set the number of menu buttons to automatic. The greatest number it provides is 6. I have 7 projects. One of them has 3 videos in its iDVD menu. Another has two videos. All for a total of 10 videos. Only 6 show up on the DVD's menu screen, & I can't use a right arrow to navigate to another page/list to see the others. The videos in the projects that contained more than one video have been split/listed separately.

Toast can fit up to six videos on each page of its menus and it automatically adds as many pages as necessary. The right arrow to advance to the next menu page does work so I'm not certain what you need to do differently to make that happen. Are you previewing the DVD on the Mac with DVD Player or are you watching it on a regular DVD player with your TV? Since you have 7 titles you might want to limit the number that appear on the menu page to 4 so that one page has four and the other has 3. That may look better than having a menu page with just one title.

The videos are out of order from how I had them ordered in the Toast content window. So one of the videos from the project of 3 is not available, & neither are 3 other single-video projects; the 4 are missing from the menu of 6 choices in Toast.

This surprises me. I've never seen that happen. Toast should place the videos in the same order they are shown in the main window. I don't know what to suggest. By the way, you can change the thumbnail image for the menu buttons by clicking on the thumbnail that appears in the main window. A scroll bar appears below the thumbnail that you can drag to select a key frame as the menu button image.

The videos play now, but the speed and audio are distorted. The music keeps skipping & the speed of the slideshow is too fast--it's like the show is too fast & the audio skips to keep up. [The only thing I did when setting up the menu that I think could be a problem is that I deselected the "automatically play" option, but it doesn't seem likely that that would be the culprit.]

Did Toast say it was multiplexing the videos or did it say it was encoding them? If it said encoding then click the More button and choose the Encoder tab and then the Custom button. There you'll see an option to set Re-encode to "Never." Do that and Toast won't do anything to affect the video's quality.

I've also lost the introduction "themes" (music & photos that run at the beginning) from the projects. I'd love to have them retained. And then, from there, one could select the multiple videos from the 2 projects that had more than one show. Instead the Toast video intro screen shows one photo from each show. The ones they show are not the ones from the intro pages of the projects.

It is not possible to keep the iDVD themes when you have Toast reauthor the VIDEO_TS folder. In other words, if you want iDVD themes then you need to remake your iDVD project in iDVD using all 7 videos. Toast may be able to help you fit a DL-sized iDVD DVD or disc image to a single-layer disc while retaining the iDVD menu, however. That is done with the fit-to-DVD process in the Toast Copy window. In that case Toast is not reauthoring the VIDEO_TS folder created by iDVD.

I'd like to have the right key photos and have the projects appear in order on the DVD, but I can live without that. Getting all the movies to be available and getting them to play at the right speed are the two main problems.

I've explained how to select the button image. Note that you can only select from key frames which typically appear about every 15 frames. As for the order, it is supposed to be the same order as you put them in the Toast window from top to bottom. You can select a title and drag it to another position in the Toast window.

The other question is, again, whether the media could be a problem. I have Memorex R/W DVDs. I thought I saw on a forum somewhere that these could cause problems with Toast. I can travel to the city to buy a different brand, if that would help.

Memorex is a low-quality brand and can (but not always) present problems with disc burning, reading and longevity. Insert one of those discs and choose Disc Info in Toast's Recorder menu. A hot link will appear in the window that comes up which will take you to a site where people submit user reports on different DVD media. You may find that Memorex got those discs from one of the better manufacturers.

Toast can fit up to six videos on each page of its menus and it automatically adds as many pages as necessary. The right arrow to advance to the next menu page does work so I'm not certain what you need to do differently to make that happen.

My dumb mistake. It works.

Are you previewing the DVD on the Mac with DVD Player or are you watching it on a regular DVD player with your TV?

Both, with mixed results, noted below.

Since you have 7 titles you might want to limit the number that appear on the menu page to 4 so that one page has four and the other has 3. That may look better than having a menu page with just one title.

I'm very picky about a visually pleasing format. Excellent suggestion. Did it. Thanks!

This surprises me. I've never seen that happen. Toast should place the videos in the same order they are shown in the main window

My mistake again. I dragged them as a group, & the group wasn't displayed in order in the browser. Now I drag one at a time & it's fine.

By the way, you can change the thumbnail image for the menu buttons by clicking on the thumbnail that appears in the main window. A scroll bar appears below the thumbnail that you can drag to select a key frame as the menu button image.

Thank you, thank you! I'd never have figured all this stuff out by myself. You are super.

Did Toast say it was multiplexing the videos or did it say it was encoding them? If it said encoding then click the More button and choose the Encoder tab and then the Custom button. There you'll see an option to set Re-encode to "Never." Do that and Toast won't do anything to affect the video's quality.

Said multiplexing, but I performed the above steps anyway.

It is not possible to keep the iDVD themes when you have Toast reauthor the VIDEO_TS folder. In other words, if you want iDVD themes then you need to remake your iDVD project in iDVD using all 7 videos. Toast may be able to help you fit a DL-sized iDVD DVD or disc image to a single-layer disc while retaining the iDVD menu, however. That is done with the fit-to-DVD process in the Toast Copy window. In that case Toast is not reauthoring the VIDEO_TS folder created by iDVD.

I don't understand how to do this, but it's not a priority.

Memorex is a low-quality brand and can (but not always) present problems with disc burning, reading and longevity. Insert one of those discs and choose Disc Info in Toast's Recorder menu. A hot link will appear in the window that comes up which will take you to a site where people submit user reports on different DVD media. You may find that Memorex got those discs from one of the better manufacturers.

You are truly a genius. Looked it up-mixed reviews on one type & only one review on the other (wasn't sure which one matched mine). I don't suspect this is the problem, though, or I wouldn't be getting the mixed results I'll describe in a follow-up post on my most recent results. Do you agree?

Edited by Candace Bland

I don't understand how to do this, but it's not a priority.

Yeah, that was confusing. A better answer is to simply say the iDVD menus aren't retained when Toast creates a video DVD.

You are truly a genius. Looked it up-mixed reviews on one type & only one review on the other (wasn't sure which one matched mine). I don't suspect this is the problem, though, or I wouldn't be getting the mixed results I'll describe in a follow-up post on my most recent results. Do you agree?

It might be the media. If Toast is only multiplexing the video then it is doing nothing to affect the picture quality. I might have read once that some DVD players have trouble playing rewritable discs but I'm not certain of that.

Edited by tsantee

Here's what happened in the last two attempts. [Toast is set to not verify data. Is that OK? I read it could cause problems.]

Just to be sure everything was "pure", I burned new disc images using Toast for each iDVD project. I started a new Toast disc/project & went through all the steps again.

Toast randomly split one of the single-video projects into two separate videos. (That's one reason I burned a new disc image.)

One time I burned it there was no menu (viewing on Mac), but it played at the right speed. There was no way to even see if the other projects were there. I burned again and got Toast's menu, but all videos played fast (about 1 sec. per photo, where I created it to be about 6, depending on the length of the music). Then I made a disc image of the whole shebang using Toast. Then only one menu showed up (in the iDVD format). Three videos were in that project and they all played at the right speed, but again the other projects weren't available. Yet one more time the disc showed only one menu of one project when played on the Mac, but showed all the Toast menus when played on the TV's DVD player.

I tried changing the Toast settings to "auto-play on insert" and "continuous play". Only one video's iDVD movie & menu showed on the DVD on the Mac, & all showed on the TV. But they all still play too fast.

[i forgot to say on my previous post that the single video that was split in two by Toast did not play separately in iDVD, i.e. the problem wasn't in the original project.]

Your DVD media link was most informative! First, as you mentioned, I didn't know DVD R-W discs are hinky. Also, they list the best manufacturers and countries where they were made, along with a list of authorized dealers. I will surely try these for better quality! But do you think the media could be the problem when it burns fine in iDVD?

Edited by Candace Bland