• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

EyeTV MPEG-4

limnidytis

Question

I've recorded EyeTV shows in both the DVD format (MPEG-2) and MPEG-4. Toast can burn the edited MPEG-2 shows without problem. However, with the MPEG-4 shows, Toast only burns (or creates a disk image) about 10% of the time. I haven't been able to discern if it relates to specific shows or not as Toast is so rarely sucessful. In the beginning, I was having Toast try and burn the MPEG-4 shows to disk. It takes a looooong time as toast has to convert the MPEG-4 to MPEG-2, so I would start toast at night. The next morning there would be a blank DVD in the drive with the finder dialog about what to do with a blank disk. So next I tried burning to disk image. Toast creates the image, but it is 0Kb in size. Because the process takes so long, I haven't tried to sit around and actually watch what happens. There are apparently no error messages, and I can't find any log files that might shed more light on the problem. The buffer underrun box is checked. I've also tried burning only one MPEG-4 file to an image with the same results. The latest update of Toast did nothing to correct this problem. Any ideas about how I can fix this problem or how I can burn my MPEG-4 shows to a DVD format?

Thanks,

limnidytis

2 answers to this question

Some time a DVD drive will go to sleep while waiting for a long encoding to be completed and then not wake up. So making the disc image is a good way to prevent this. However, I don't know why the disc image isn't working out either.

Here are some things to try.

During (or after) the encoding look in the Roxio Converted Items folder (in your Documents folder) to see if there are any temporary files being written. Toast writes the MPEG 2 files there and then reads those files when it multiplexes and burns the video DVD or writes the disc image. This folder is automatically emptied when you quit Toast unless you change that in Toast preferences.

When the disc image is done being written go to the Toast Utilities menu and choose mount disc image. When you mount that image file DVD Player should open and show the video. What happens when you do this.

Are you using the Toast Copy window to burn the disc image file to DVD?

The toast image files are in the folder, but they are always 0kb in size. If I double click the file, Toast reports that it is not a valid file. Toast puts .avi files in the folder (which it never deletes), but never actually creates a converted file (m2v, I think). Again, this only happens with the MPEG-4 files, and for some reason Toast will occasionally sucessfully convert one of the files into a disk image that I can then burn onto a DVD with Toast. I've not been able to discern why Toast only occasionally converts the files. It would be nice if Toast had a log file. Again, I've not actually sat around and watched what happens - it takes hours, and I usually start the conversion when I'm away from the computer. When I return, Toast has quit, and the image file is 0Kb in size. When Toast is successful, it is still running when I return, so I assume that toast must be crashing when it is unsucessful.

Archived