• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 20 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

REDWAGON

Silly Drive Question

I've got a silly question about computer optical drives. In all my cars, the CD drive doesn't have a "tray" to be able to put a CD in to operate. All you do is just start to stick the CD in the drive and automatically it pulls the CD into the drive.

Question: Why don't they have drives like that in computers, instead of the tray ??

Frank....

There called slot loading. Plextor I know made one. The dust has a easy way in!

PX-716AL

Price: $179.00

The PX-716AL, Internal Slot Loading DL DVD±R/RW CD-R/RW supports 16X DVD+R and 16X DVD-R Writing; 8X DVD+RW and 4X DVD-RW Rewriting; and 16X max DVD-Reading, 6X DVD±R Double Layer. The DVD/CD burner also boasts high-speed 48X CD-R Writing, 24X CD-RW Rewriting, and 48X max CD-Reading.

http://www.plextor.com/english/products/pr...drw_drives.html

cdanteek

Edited by cdanteek

Guest mlpasley

Question: Why don't they have drives like that in computers, instead of the tray ??

Frank....

My neighbor has a Dell that has a DVD ROM drive in it where you just stick the DVD or CD in the slot.

Basically, it isn't good for much but playing music or DVDs.

Thanks for the information about Plextor. Odd to me that if it's an easy way for dust to get in why wouldn't the same dust get in the drive when you opened up the tray. Seems to me as long as the disc is clean it wouldn't make anyy difference.

And I don't know why a "slot" drive would only be good for just music CD's and DVD's. I would think that once the disc was in place inside the drive that the drive could function the same as a tray drive. Anyway, just curious as it seem so much easier to have one of those slot type drive rather that one you had to keep pressing a button on to open and close a tray.

Frank...

Guest mlpasley

Sorry. I was commenting more on the CD\DVD ROM aspect of the drive. I'd rather have a DVD RW.

I wonder about cdanteek's point. If it allows more dust into the drive, that would not be a good thing.

Odd to me that if it's an easy way for dust to get in why wouldn't the same dust get in the drive when you opened up the tray.

If your PC case has negative pressure, which most do. It draws dust in at every crack. If you look closely at the doors on your drives. There's a foam strip all around the door to form a seal.

Your auto slot loader, I have seen a dust cover sold at auto stores for them. Never have seen them for pc slot loaders but the auto ones might work.

I wonder of the mechanics that pull the disc in and pushes it out!

cdanteek

In my system I have a Pioneer DVD-ROM (a DVD105) which is a slot loader. I don't much like it. I can't load odd size or odd-shaped discs into it, either.

Frank....

I've had a couple NEC slot loader changer drives. That is, you could load up to 4 discs into the drive at once. Instead of just having the slot there, there is actually a small cover that flips down when you eject or tell the drive you're going to insert a disc. To handle multiple discs, theres a small "elevator" that moves up and down to hold the discs, then when you select which one is to currently be "active", it' puts that disc on the spindle. All the discs show up in Windows Explorer, and it'll automatically load whichever one you want to look at/use. If you have a multi-disc application, it can work great, unless it has to go back and forth between discs a lot, then it gets slow. (Of course, those drives were only 4X anyway.)

But, the flip down door was an answer to getting extra dust into the system.

Happy 4th to everyone!