Video Capture Problem

dxxxxusm

Question

New to this and def not very techy! Trying to capture video from camcorder (yet to try VHS which is primary reason for buying Roxio 2010). With or without camcorder connected (in audio/video output to pc USB) when I open up Media Import I can view the video image playing in the box but there is not option for photo/video in top right hand corner, no normal/smartscan option, doesn't give me choice of device or source to import from and displays a red Status No signal error message. Would appreciate some help. Thanks

7 answers to this question

New to this and def not very techy! Trying to capture video from camcorder (yet to try VHS which is primary reason for buying Roxio 2010). With or without camcorder connected (in audio/video output to pc USB) when I open up Media Import I can view the video image playing in the box but there is not option for photo/video in top right hand corner, no normal/smartscan option, doesn't give me choice of device or source to import from and displays a red Status No signal error message. Would appreciate some help. Thanks

What camcorder? If it is a memory card/disc digital[/b], you don't capture; you copy from the camcorder to your computer via FireWire. If it is a tape digital, you would capture via FireWire also. More information please. If you are using the USB capture device, that is an analog to digital converter and it is looking for an analog source for input.

Thanks for the reply. Wow thought this was supposed to be easy! My camcorder is a Sony DCR-TRV22E DV Digital Handycam taking mini DV tapes. It has a memory card but this is only for capturing sill images from the tape. Do I take it then that I have to transfer the tape data to my pc then capture it from there using Roxio therefore not able to use smartscan option? (is there still a problem that when I open Media Import the page setup is different to to tutorial or does it change when it recognizes the correct device when connected?)

Thanks for the reply. Wow thought this was supposed to be easy! My camcorder is a Sony DCR-TRV22E DV Digital Handycam taking mini DV tapes. It has a memory card but this is only for capturing sill images from the tape. Do I take it then that I have to transfer the tape data to my pc then capture it from there using Roxio therefore not able to use smartscan option? (is there still a problem that when I open Media Import the page setup is different to to tutorial or does it change when it recognizes the correct device when connected?)

Since you have a miniDV camcorder you should be using a Firewire connection to capture the video from the tape to the PC.

Edited by myguggi

Ok thanks, put that on my shopping list for the weekend, finally (hopefully) i want to import VHS tapes to pc, my player has 2 audio out R & L-red & white, 2 scarts no s-video or option for the yellow 2 connect to. How can I transfer VHS to pc-the tutorials don't seem to help or maybe its just me being stupid! thanks again

Ok thanks, put that on my shopping list for the weekend, finally (hopefully) i want to import VHS tapes to pc, my player has 2 audio out R & L-red & white, 2 scarts no s-video or option for the yellow 2 connect to. How can I transfer VHS to pc-the tutorials don't seem to help or maybe its just me being stupid! thanks again

Put this on your list ....get a cable like this http://www.amazon.co...41109242&sr=8-1

Edited by ogdens

Do I take it then that I have to transfer the tape data to my pc then capture it from there using Roxio therefore not able to use smartscan option?
Roxio has Media Import that will capture from miniDV tape camcorders via firewire. Smartscan only works with firewire because it has to control the camcorder's play/rewind. Personally, I didn't like Smartscan because takes too long. Plus you have all the wear on the camcorder when it plays/rewinds/plays/rewinds dozens of times to find all of the clips where you stopped and started recording.