dackman

Jerky Blu-Rays From Toast 10

Question

Apologies if there is a thread about this, but I couldn't find it. I am using Toast 10 on a MacBook Pro and have created a 1080p movie using footage from my Sony AVCHD Handycam. If I drag the footage onto Toast and make a DVD it plays back fine, but if I make a Blu-ray instead it plays back jerkily, especially on panning shots. I have resaved the HD footage as an MP4 file and put it on a Blu-ray and into my PS3 and it plays back fine, so it is something to do with the Toast encoding. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm currently just using all the default settings in Toast and don't know much about bit rates or data rates etc. Thanks for your help.

2 answers to this question

Apologies if there is a thread about this, but I couldn't find it. I am using Toast 10 on a MacBook Pro and have created a 1080p movie using footage from my Sony AVCHD Handycam. If I drag the footage onto Toast and make a DVD it plays back fine, but if I make a Blu-ray instead it plays back jerkily, especially on panning shots. I have resaved the HD footage as an MP4 file and put it on a Blu-ray and into my PS3 and it plays back fine, so it is something to do with the Toast encoding. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm currently just using all the default settings in Toast and don't know much about bit rates or data rates etc. Thanks for your help.

When you say you made a blu-ray, do you mean a true BD or do you mean "blu-ray on DVD"? Jerkiness in the latter is often because the encoding bitrate is set higher than the red laser DVD technology can tolerate. You need to set max bitrate to ~16 and the average lower, say 13. And your results may depend on the particular player you use. My Sony BD player seems to tolerate the 16/13 setting pretty well but standard DVD bitrate is half that or even less.

If you've made a true blu-ray and it's jerky, I have no clue.

Thanks for your reply. It was a true blu-ray but I discovered the problem and it was my own fault. My footage was fine but I had also added a slideshow that I'd made in FotoMagico but it turned out I had set the framerate incorrectly in that and so Toast had altered my movie to match it, resulting in it adding frames and making it jerky. I re-did the slideshow at the same frame rate as my movie and redid the Blu-ray and it's all fine now.