Mpeg-2 Codec Activation Problem

ChrisJ59

Question

I have just installed Easy VHS to DVD and whenever I try and run any capture or video editing options I get a message stating that the MPEG-2 codec needs to be activated. When I click on OK to do this I get an error message which states 'No permission - Bad Installation'. Can anyone help?

I have tried re-installing the application, and also updating it to SP2, but this has not helped.

My PC is running Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

Thanks

2 answers to this question

I have just installed Easy VHS to DVD and whenever I try and run any capture or video editing options I get a message stating that the MPEG-2 codec needs to be activated. When I click on OK to do this I get an error message which states 'No permission - Bad Installation'. Can anyone help?

I have tried re-installing the application, and also updating it to SP2, but this has not helped.

My PC is running Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

Thanks

I too have "upgraded" to W7 from Vista, although I would have preferred to go back to XP. Anyway, I had the same issues as you when re-installing Roxio products. I finally sorted it (I hope) by uninstalling everything remotely connected to Roxio and Sonic, and also nero and magix in my case. I used "RegSeeker" (free) to find all items and deleted those which belonged to the applications. The Roxio support instructions don't go far enough in their coverage of how to do a clean install. You've got to get rid of everything, and make sure things like Roxwatch are not running at startup either. Most important of all, install the windows cleanup installer utility, and delete all items that refer to Roxio, sonic, and again in my case, nero and magix. The windows installer seems to keep its activations in its database, so once it goes wrong it will continue to do so. Delete the Roxio activation module from the windows installer using the installer cleanup tool (google msicuu2.exe). i wanted to share this as I had such a palaver trying to sort it - just about to do a restore from about a month ago when I tried this last thing.

Good luck