• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Sluggish Video Navigation While Editing Long Clip On Vw..

mackado

Question

I’m using Video Wave to edit a project with approximately 2hrs worth of musical performances‘ clips, each chapters will be 3-5 minutes long, I’m planning to burn/fit the final project into a DL- DVD.

This video clips were recorded on SVHS tape at SP , and I plan to create about four different projects with the remaining SVHS tapes in the future.

I've “capture” the SVHS video without problems --using Roxio’s USB plug/converter-- and divided the capture into 1 HR portions; The files are about 3.6 gig each of 720x480 footage...

The problem is that Videowave(VW) is very slow , and it takes quite a while to edit out/split (Timeline)the portions I don’t need (Commercials, etc) and I still need to fine tune the “Beginning and end” of every clip.. :blink:

The “Frame wheel” is not accurate, it is sluggish and jumps beyond the point needed, and after the “Split” process the audio and video sometimes goes out of sync, making it very difficult to ‘monitor” the rest of the footage to find the next ‘split’ mark..also there is a noticeable ‘delay’ after each editing command, requiring me to wait a while for the video/audio to synch up..

I’m almost finish doing the first hour this way, but I need to figure out a way to speed up the process for the rest of the projects..(one of the reasons I picked up this faster i7 CPU PC)

I've read/searched the topics here and found info on “File swap” settings, I’m using a second internal 360 Gig HDD and configured that one for ‘swapping‘ with Roxio ( “Swap“ was not activated) under VW’s tools>options>Dvd Temp files, W7 swap/virtual Mem settings are 6129 MB(min/max) corresponding to 6 Gig of Memory on this machine..(recommended by W7) but I see no improvements..

My video card has “Streaming” activated (How can I check if it’s working under Roxio?), as I can check with CS4 PhotoShop app.

Should I capture the Video in smaller more manageable portions instead? I read different suggestions here and thought 1HR length would be fine..

Anything else I can do to this PC (Specs below) to speed up the process?

Can someone explain further how to “split” the ‘actual’ large video file (not using scenes) into smaller files that I can label, short of “Capturing” each clip separately from my SVHS? ( even more time consuming)( "split" still keeps the original large file intact).

I found this old thread here below explaining a process, but I don’t understand how to output to MPEG from VW, my only choice with VM is project’s DMSM files…

My link

“ Launch Videowave and add a 2 hour file. Find the appropriate split point and create a split. Save the project as Full.dmsm. Delete the 2nd half and Output to a new video file at DVD mpeg, best quality. After its done, reload the Full.dmsm project file, delete the 1st half and output again. Of course be sure to give the output file the correct names.”

Thanks..

Edited by mackado

6 answers to this question

I’m using Video Wave to edit a project with approximately 2hrs worth of musical performances‘ clips, each chapters will be 3-5 minutes long, I’m planning to burn/fit the final project into a DL- DVD.

This video clips were recorded on SVHS tape at SP , and I plan to create about four different projects with the remaining SVHS tapes in the future.

I've “capture” the SVHS video without problems --using Roxio’s USB plug/converter-- and divided the capture into 1 HR portions; The files are about 3.6 gig each of 720x480 footage...

The problem is that Videowave(VW) is very slow , and it takes quite a while to edit out/split (Timeline)the portions I don’t need (Commercials, etc) and I still need to fine tune the “Beginning and end” of every clip.. :blink:

The “Frame wheel” is not accurate, it is sluggish and jumps beyond the point needed, and after the “Split” process the audio and video sometimes goes out of sync, making it very difficult to ‘monitor” the rest of the footage to find the next ‘split’ mark..also there is a noticeable ‘delay’ after each editing command, requiring me to wait a while for the video/audio to synch up..

I’m almost finish doing the first hour this way, but I need to figure out a way to speed up the process for the rest of the projects..(one of the reasons I picked up this faster i7 CPU PC)

I've read/searched the topics here and found info on “File swap” settings, I’m using a second internal 360 Gig HDD and configured that one for ‘swapping‘ with Roxio ( “Swap“ was not activated) under VW’s tools>options>Dvd Temp files, W7 swap/virtual Mem settings are 6129 MB(min/max) corresponding to 6 Gig of Memory on this machine..(recommended by W7) but I see no improvements..

My video card has “Streaming” activated (How can I check if it’s working under Roxio?), as I can check with CS4 PhotoShop app.

Should I capture the Video in smaller more manageable portions instead? I read different suggestions here and thought 1HR length would be fine..

Anything else I can do to this PC (Specs below) to speed up the process?

Can someone explain further how to “split” the ‘actual’ large video file (not using scenes) into smaller files that I can label, short of “Capturing” each clip separately from my SVHS? ( even more time consuming)( "split" still keeps the original large file intact).

I found this old thread here below explaining a process, but I don’t understand how to output to MPEG from VW, my only choice with VM is project’s DMSM files…

My link

“ Launch Videowave and add a 2 hour file. Find the appropriate split point and create a split. Save the project as Full.dmsm. Delete the 2nd half and Output to a new video file at DVD mpeg, best quality. After its done, reload the Full.dmsm project file, delete the 1st half and output again. Of course be sure to give the output file the correct names.”

Thanks..

A dmsm file is not a video file but simple a "street map" of how to create the final video. When you use "Save" or "Save As" you are not outputting (exporting) to a video file but simple create the dmsm project file.

To output to a mpeg video file, you select Output/Export As from the menu bar or click on the small disc icon to the left of the DVD icon in the tool bar of the Preview window.

I don't know what your reference to "swap file" is with respect to C2010.

From your 1 hour file size (3.9GB) you must have captured to mpg format (hopefully at least to the HQ, best quality format). I prefer to capture to DV avi format but only in short 10-15 minutes clips. DV avi creates much larger files then mpg format but they seem to be easier to edit and movement seems faster.

A dmsm file is not a video file but simple a "street map" of how to create the final video. When you use "Save" or "Save As" you are not outputting (exporting) to a video file but simple create the dmsm project file.

To output to a mpeg video file, you select Output/Export As from the menu bar or click on the small disc icon to the left of the DVD icon in the tool bar of the Preview window.

I don't know what your reference to "swap file" is with respect to C2010.

From your 1 hour file size (3.9GB) you must have captured to mpg format (hopefully at least to the HQ, best quality format). I prefer to capture to DV avi format but only in short 10-15 minutes clips. DV avi creates much larger files then mpg format but they seem to be easier to edit and movement seems faster.

Thanks so much, now I see how to split and save the large file into smaller more manageable files, I never knew of the "export" command until now.

The Swap file works with your Pc's memory,it is a portion of the HDD reserved for memory 'overflow',also called 'virtual memory, in all honesty I haven't bothered with this setting since the days of windows 95, but I did a search here and others having the same "sluggishness' response as i when working with large files were recommended to double check these settings.... but I'm not 100% sure if my settings are the best possible for this kind of work..

And yes, I captured into Mpeg 2 @ best quality figuring I'm burning to DVD, and the SVHS footage is not quite DVD quality anyways..So you get better results with AVI? I'll try that next, I've never used avi, so MyDVD will convert the project (DVD) to the Mpg2 format while burning the DVD?

PS: I'm still kind of disappointed with the 'issues' large files are creating with mu setup, I plan to start recording the same shows in Hi-Def soon and the files will be even larger...what then?

Edited by mackado

I looked at your profile and saw that M audio device. Have you had any problems with it? Many people can't use M Audio because it could only run 24 bit audio and Roxio uses only 16 bit audio. Perhaps yours will do both.

My computer is not all that much different than yours. I do High Def all the time - both AVCHD and Blu-ray discs. What used to take me 18 hours with high def now takes 4 or 5 so it is much faster.

Is your video card/chip "Stream" enabled? If so, and you output to certain HD file types, Stream kicks in to give you 5 times faster rendering (according to the sales people). It is faster but I've never felt the need to test that statement.

Edited by sknis

I looked at your profile and saw that M audio device. Have you had any problems with it? Many people can't use M Audio because it could only run 24 bit audio and Roxio uses only 16 bit audio. Perhaps yours will do both.

I never even considered this conflict before and your observation put me in research mode, I had lip-synch ripping issues before using Roxio's 'Easy Creator 09' version with XP ans the same M-audio, but I think i'm safe, I just double checked and the M-audio manual for the model Audiophile 9624 states "up to 24 bit" (which includes 16 bit)plus my old Cooledit setting's display reports support for 16 bit (mono/stereo) up to 24 bit also.

I noticed you also use the 'Sound Blaster X-fi Xtreme Audio" --this card came bundled up with my PC(disabled at the moment)-- just now I finally checked the specs for this model, and to my surprise this audio card also supports 96/24 recordings/capturing plus other goodies like '3d headphone' etc, so I will remove the M-audio soon and use the Blaster instead,(I need the PCI slot too), my reson for using the old Maudio was (and I'm no expert)that Cool Edit/Audition's users recommends 96/24(and 32 bit)samples for better results when doing audio restorations of old Vinyl or tapes.. which I do sometimes when I have spare time...

I wont know until I rip this project if the lip synch issue I had with the old Roxio version and XP will go away, I hope so...

My computer is not all that much different than yours. I do High Def all the time - both AVCHD and Blu-ray discs. What used to take me 18 hours with high def now takes 4 or 5 so it is much faster.

I'm glad to hear this, :D hopefully I'll be able to get the latest hi-def Tivo to record off the air Hi-Def shows/clips, but it might take me a while longer.. :(

I resolved my sluggish video issue by splitting the 1 hr mpeg clip into four 15 min long clips, (as instructed above) now I can grab the 'timeline' video marker bar (name?)and drag the video back and forth to the desired location in real time without problems, no audio delay issues and the 'Frame" wheel works fine too..( the first 'full' clip in the same project still exhibits the same problems)

Still is kind of perplexing why the combo of Creator 2010/W7 can't handle 1HR long Mpeg2 video files the same way in this top of line (almost) PC, I'll try next capturing ' in AVI as suggested above and see if it works better with long clips..

Is your video card/chip "Stream" enabled? If so, and you output to certain HD file types, Stream kicks in to give you 5 times faster rendering (according to the sales people). It is faster but I've never felt the need to test that statement.

yes, at least as far as I can tell, Adobe's Photoshop CS4 reports active 'Open GL" mode, and using ATI control panel's acceleration software I even 'over clocked' the GPU a few notches, (this improved W7 overall score)..I just noticed an "enable acceleration" choice associated with 'video conversion'(ATI panel), and just activated it, but I'm not sure if I need to..I'll test and see.

So anyone knows if my HDD swap files settings could be improved? (or if I need to bother?)

Edited by mackado

yes, at least as far as I can tell, Adobe's Photoshop CS4 reports active 'Open GL" mode, and using ATI control panel's acceleration software I even 'over clocked' the GPU a few notches, (this improved W7 overall score)..I just noticed an "enable acceleration" choice associated with 'video conversion'(ATI panel), and just activated it, but I'm not sure if I need to..I'll test and see.

So anyone knows if my HDD swap files settings could be improved? (or if I need to bother?)

Some think it helps to tinker with Swap Files but I have never set mine since Win98 and never had a problem…

Make sure you have your ATI Catalyst updated to the current 10.8. Replace that Audio then give it a try… I would turn off the Overclocking there too. ATI mentions that it can have detrimental effects...

I can run 6+ hour captures through VW without any slowdown on that XPS of mine.

Some think it helps to tinker with Swap Files but I have never set mine since Win98 and never had a problem…

Well, I can't see any difference in performance using the win7 'recommended' settings, not even after activating and setting the parameters for my second HDD, who's 'swap' capabilities WIN7 apparently doesn't activated by default, as far as I can tell this feature needs to be activated by the user, I'm also using this 2nd HD drive for swapping with CS4 and Cooledit and this apps never complained before, so I'm not sure if I needed to 'activate' or not..

Make sure you have your ATI Catalyst updated to the current 10.8. Replace that Audio then give it a try… I would turn off the Overclocking there too. ATI mentions that it can have detrimental effects...

Thanks for the heads up, I just upgraded to the latest 10.8, it seems like it has been only a few weeks since I upgraded to 10.4 .. :unsure: My 'overclocking' is minimum, as I don't want to overheat the GPU (or PC case), I'm planning a Video upgrade soon, the weak link in my setup.... after Driver upgrade I tested the 1HR long MPG2 clip but still it's not behaving like it should.

I'll play with the Audio card(s) after I'm finished with this project, troubleshooting that issue might take me a while, after my post above --about the Blaster audio card-- I remembered I first tested the recording capability of the Blaster card, --using Roxio Creator-10 actually-- when I first received the XPS 6 months back, and the recording exhibited digital noises I had no idea what was causing it, so I didn't bothered trouble shooting and just disabled the Blaster and installed the M-Audio. Maybe I'll just remove the Blaster from the PCIx slot(instead of just disabling) and see if VW response improves (conflict) if not I'll try the reverse...I need to do this troubleshooting anyways since I have another unresolved issue, after launching a Youtube video or others', if I turn-on my AVR then --connected to the M-audio-- my system reboots..... :angry2: ain't this hobby fun? :P

I was forced to discard the previous editing VW work I did with the long clip and had to cut it down to 4 pieces like the second hour of footage I'm using for this project, editing was just taking to long, virtually useless.. I had to re-do everything but it works fine in 15 min pieces and now I'm moving on two the third hour of capture footage following the same process.... for now.

I can run 6+ hour captures through VW without any slowdown on that XPS of mine.

Your XPS is almost the same as mine,so there is definitely something not working right with my system,,

Are you working with 6hrs clips in MPG or AVI? 720x480 ?

Edited by mackado