Why No 64Bit?

kanehi

Question

9 answers to this question

64 bit OS is supported and the 64bit parts are installed correctly. How many under $99 do you know that are 100% 64bit? I don't know of any.

In C2011, this is what I can see might be 64bit: Back on Track, Virtual Folder, Streamer, USB Capture device driver and Virtual drive.

Edited by ggrussell

On my box Gary, the only files in the 64 bit Program files are Virtual Drive and Roxio Burn

The problem with making a 64 bit only app is twofold:

firstly, the majority of machines around are either 32 bit CPUs (less likely nowadays) or are running on a 32 bit OS, even with a 64 bit CPU

secondly, for any company to develop two separate apps (one 32 bit and one 64 bit) would put the cost of it way up and be commercial suicide

Basically the only true 64 bit apps are high end (and very high price) CAD ones - even MS doesn't produce a pure 64 bit app

Basically the only true 64 bit apps are high end (and very high price) CAD ones - even MS doesn't produce a pure 64 bit app

I believe the new Sony Vegas Pro has a fully 64bit version so there are other apps out there. I was going by what is actually on the C2011 disc. Not the box.

Here are the actual folder names on the install disc. Draw your own conclusions:

BOTPRODUCT_A64

STREAMER_SVRX64

VIDEOCAP_USB_X64

RBVIRTUALFOLDER64_0160

VIRTUALDRIVE64_13

For years, Dell has been pushing 64bit Windows on the laptops and a lot of HP laptops in the stores now are 64bit. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Windows 8 is only 64 bit.

Edited by ggrussell

Just going by what actually installed here Gary - just the two I mentioned in the (64 bit) C:\Program Files. The rest are in the (32 bit) C:\Program Files(x86)

ps 'a box' is what us Linux beardy wierdies call a computer :lol:

Edited by gi7omy

BOTPRODUCT_A64

STREAMER_SVRX64

VIDEOCAP_USB_X64

RBVIRTUALFOLDER64_0160

VIRTUALDRIVE64_13

Don't know what BOTPRODUCT is, but for the other items it seems drivers are involved. Maybe drivers are 64bit, the rest of the software 32bit.

PS

I was going by what is actually on the C2011 disc. Not the box.

&

ps 'a box' is what us Linux beardy wierdies call a computer :lol:

LOL :lol:

I have had crashes/hangs in VideoWave 12 (Creator 2010 Pro); far too often. I was wondering if there was more stability in C2011 Pro? The cost of the "upgrade" is negligible as far as I am concerned. My OS is Win 7 64-bit, on a 64-bit CPU Dell.

Presumably, apps written to exploit a 64-bit CPU could perhaps run a bit faster, because of multithreading, etc. Maybe.

I have two concerns.

I have had to abandon some apps (from my winXP-32 computer) that simply would not install on my newer 64-bit Win7 computer. (I am grateful that during attempted install, I was informed that they were incompatible, so that I did not encounter problems later.)

I presume that C2011 Pro will install on a 64-bit Win7 computer.

Concern 1. Is C2011 Pro less prone to crash or hang than C2010 Pro?

Concern 2. Though the cost of the "upgrade" is a very small factor for me, what do you predict that I would gain/regret ??

I also presume that posts in this particular forum are read only by those who have migrated from some earlier release to C2011, so you do have an applicable perspecitive

All I can say here is I have had no problems with Creator 2011 so far (but I never had problems with 2010 either) so I can't honestly say if it's 'more stable' (never having had either be 'unstable' at any stage

Gain - the main difference is the 3D ability (but unless you spend a LOT on a 3D monitor) you will be restricted to red/cyan anaglyph. You can 'convert' old photos to 3D (I've done it and it does work but takes a bit of fiddling for depth, etc)

btw - prices for a 3D TV start at over a grand so that's wayyyyy down on my priorities