• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Encoding - Video "drop Outs"

Ananth

Question

Hello All

This may have been discussed before. I successfully put together a complete video edit - went through the encoding/render process which appeared to complete successfully. Resulting video mpg file had a couple of scenes where only a white screen appears, however sound track is heard.

Attempted to do the encoding/rendering process a couple of times - interesting result is that these 'white-outs' still appear, but never at the same spot! I presumed initially that there was some problem with the original video files - but this last experiment would suggest, not so.

Anyone had a similar experience? Any help is welcome!

AK

Dell Studio XPS9000/ Core i7-920; 2.6 GHz; 9GB RAM; GTX260 video card (new PC)

3 answers to this question

Hello All

This may have been discussed before. I successfully put together a complete video edit - went through the encoding/render process which appeared to complete successfully. Resulting video mpg file had a couple of scenes where only a white screen appears, however sound track is heard.

Attempted to do the encoding/rendering process a couple of times - interesting result is that these 'white-outs' still appear, but never at the same spot! I presumed initially that there was some problem with the original video files - but this last experiment would suggest, not so.

Anyone had a similar experience? Any help is welcome!

AK

Dell Studio XPS9000/ Core i7-920; 2.6 GHz; 9GB RAM; GTX260 video card (new PC)

Most people who experience gaps, experience black screens gaps. :P

Did you encode the project to an ISO file first or did you just burn to a DVD? If the later, encode to the ISO file. Download and run the free VLC player on the ISO to see if you get the white areas when played on your computer. If so, there are some issues with your project. (Two transitions one after another without content between them perhaps?). If not, just copy the ISO file to a GOOD quality DVD using the ISO copy function on the Creator Home page. If there is a problem there, then try some other discs.

When you are doing any encoding, it is best to be disconnected from the internet, and have shut down all running programs including your anti-virus. I know you have a new computer but make sure that your hard drive is defraggmented.

Most people who experience gaps, experience black screens gaps. :P

Did you encode the project to an ISO file first or did you just burn to a DVD? If the later, encode to the ISO file. Download and run the free VLC player on the ISO to see if you get the white areas when played on your computer. If so, there are some issues with your project. (Two transitions one after another without content between them perhaps?). If not, just copy the ISO file to a GOOD quality DVD using the ISO copy function on the Creator Home page. If there is a problem there, then try some other discs.

When you are doing any encoding, it is best to be disconnected from the internet, and have shut down all running programs including your anti-virus. I know you have a new computer but make sure that your hard drive is defraggmented.

Thanks! I was attempting to create a file on the hard drive - not burn direct to DVD. :blink:

I do have the VLC player - is this kind of a de-facto std that lets you know if all is well?

Drives on the PC are regularly checked for fragmentation. Yr point re transitions - that is valid> I shall check. I think the "white-out" may have actually occurred foll a transition I put in - nope there are no blank scenes in between - like I said I can hear the audio sound track, but only a white screen!

The file I was generating was an mpg. I shall try your suggestion and report back later.

Edited by Ananth

I too am having challenges with drop-outs though in my case they show a black screen for the duration of the photo.

I am putting a bunch of still photos into a DVD format. While most photos are ok, including ones that are pan-and-zoomed and I have a few panoramas that are pretty big, some photos just don't show. They are fine in the VideoWave version (though I did have one photo that VideoWave didn't seem to like and did appear black), but when I send to MyDVD the black drop-outs appear. I've tried using the VLC reader on the ISO file and yup, the drop outs are there. So it seems the problem is occurring somewhere between VideoWave and MyDVD.

I guess I will experiment with removing all background programs in case it is a memory issue, and I've done the defrag thing religiously before doing any video work.

I have yet to add audio to this project which probably won't help if it is a memory problem. I don't much like trying to debug this way, since there is almost no way to determine in advance if removing programs from memory is actually likely to work. Classic black-box testing: keep poking at it till you find something that seems to work. Given the time it takes to burn, this is rather tedious.

I would appreciate any other ideas.

Thx, Mal