• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Ross Henning

New User 18771 Error

Question

I just purchased "Toast Titanium 10 Pro" because it could supposedly do exactly what I was trying to do. It could take HD video that I put together in iMovie and burn a regular DVD as a bluray so that I could finally watch my high def home movies without connecting my camcorder to my TV. I, like many others, assumed that Roxio would in fact deliver what it promised. After being frustrated over and over, I came looking for a solution to 18771 and found MANY posts in this forum about this error. Unfortunately, Roxio obviously hasn't fixed the problem that showed up in 10.0.3, and we're now on 10.0.7! It's obvious to me that there are some serious issues at Roxio. If the problem didn't exist in 10.0.1 or 10.0.2, how hard is it to hash out what's changed and replace the new bits of code that are causing the problem with the old bits that worked? They're either incompetent, or they don't care.

I've looked through old posts, but could not find a link to 10.0.2 or 10.0.1 so that I can at least have a version that works. Could someone please repost the link here?

10 answers to this question

I just purchased "Toast Titanium 10 Pro" because it could supposedly do exactly what I was trying to do. It could take HD video that I put together in iMovie and burn a regular DVD as a bluray so that I could finally watch my high def home movies without connecting my camcorder to my TV. I, like many others, assumed that Roxio would in fact deliver what it promised. After being frustrated over and over, I came looking for a solution to 18771 and found MANY posts in this forum about this error. Unfortunately, Roxio obviously hasn't fixed the problem that showed up in 10.0.3, and we're now on 10.0.7! It's obvious to me that there are some serious issues at Roxio. If the problem didn't exist in 10.0.1 or 10.0.2, how hard is it to hash out what's changed and replace the new bits of code that are causing the problem with the old bits that worked? They're either incompetent, or they don't care.

I've looked through old posts, but could not find a link to 10.0.2 or 10.0.1 so that I can at least have a version that works. Could someone please repost the link here?

I too struggled with this problem. Now I found something strange, and maybe a workaround:

If I select the target media to be DVD or DVD DL, encoding fails with the "error -18771". But if I select BD, no problem. To me this makes no sense. I would have thought the target media selection only affects the "space remaining graph", nothing else.

I just discovered this today and have only tested this with one video file. With that file the result is consistent: DVD > error, BD -> no error. Hopefully Toast behaves the same way with all the other video files too. I just have to remember to use the BD selection and all goes fine. Btw, I have only tested this using the Save As Disc Image -method (and after that burned the image using Apple's Disk Utility).

I too struggled with this problem. Now I found something strange, and maybe a workaround:

If I select the target media to be DVD or DVD DL, encoding fails with the "error -18771". But if I select BD, no problem. To me this makes no sense. I would have thought the target media selection only affects the "space remaining graph", nothing else.

I just discovered this today and have only tested this with one video file. With that file the result is consistent: DVD > error, BD -> no error. Hopefully Toast behaves the same way with all the other video files too. I just have to remember to use the BD selection and all goes fine. Btw, I have only tested this using the Save As Disc Image -method (and after that burned the image using Apple's Disk Utility).

Like others, I have struggled with the -18771 error. In my latest project just this week, I first tried to use 10.0.7 hoping once again it would "just work". It didn't, and I reverted to 10.0.2 which has been pretty reliable in getting through encoding.

I'm VERY CURIOUS about your discovery. Please elaborate. When you get the saved disk image out of Toast, you said you burn that to disk using DU. But isn't the image from Toast much too large to fit a DVD? Sorry if that's a stupid question but I want to try to duplicate your success, and I need step-by-step details.

Like others, I have struggled with the -18771 error. In my latest project just this week, I first tried to use 10.0.7 hoping once again it would "just work". It didn't, and I reverted to 10.0.2 which has been pretty reliable in getting through encoding.

I'm VERY CURIOUS about your discovery. Please elaborate. When you get the saved disk image out of Toast, you said you burn that to disk using DU. But isn't the image from Toast much too large to fit a DVD? Sorry if that's a stupid question but I want to try to duplicate your success, and I need step-by-step details.

Max image size for dvd is about 4.5 GB. Toast shows the estimated image size (it is not accurate though, you see the result after encoding). The image size depends on the encoding settings. I use manual settings: mpeg-4 avc, average bit rate 8, max bit rate 16.

Max image size for dvd is about 4.5 GB. Toast shows the estimated image size (it is not accurate though, you see the result after encoding). The image size depends on the encoding settings. I use manual settings: mpeg-4 avc, average bit rate 8, max bit rate 16.

D'Oh! You're right - the image Toast produces is only as big as it needs to be. I was thinking it made an image as big as a disk, but of course that's not the case. I'll have to give your fix a try.

I had also the same problem when I tried to burn a mini BD. I mean it doesn't occurr all the time but in most of the cases when I try to burn Videos from FCE in FullHD 1920x1080i. I extract the videos in a .mov file and then burn it on a DVD using the Toast BD plug in. Everything worked fine as long as I installed an update (probably 10.0.3) and since then got the trouble.

I was extremely happy when I red Jupasa workaound and I tried myself to replicate his success: save the project as a disc image as BD and not DVD and then burn the disc with Apple Disc Utility on a DVD. I could succeed burning the DVD. I can also watch the video files on my Mac using the Toast Video Player BUT! when I put the DVD in my BD Player (a Panasonic BD-30) the player does not recognize the disc. So the workaround seems not to work for me. Did you try to play the DVD on other BD Players? Does the work alright?

I have contacted now the Roxio support, so far no answer. In fact I requested to give me a link where I can download the older 10.0.2 version of Toast and then hopefully have peace with this problem.

Do you have other ideas how could I get the problem solved?

Thanks!

I had also the same problem when I tried to burn a mini BD. I mean it doesn't occurr all the time but in most of the cases when I try to burn Videos from FCE in FullHD 1920x1080i. I extract the videos in a .mov file and then burn it on a DVD using the Toast BD plug in. Everything worked fine as long as I installed an update (probably 10.0.3) and since then got the trouble.

I was extremely happy when I red Jupasa workaound and I tried myself to replicate his success: save the project as a disc image as BD and not DVD and then burn the disc with Apple Disc Utility on a DVD. I could succeed burning the DVD. I can also watch the video files on my Mac using the Toast Video Player BUT! when I put the DVD in my BD Player (a Panasonic BD-30) the player does not recognize the disc. So the workaround seems not to work for me. Did you try to play the DVD on other BD Players? Does the work alright?

I have contacted now the Roxio support, so far no answer. In fact I requested to give me a link where I can download the older 10.0.2 version of Toast and then hopefully have peace with this problem.

Do you have other ideas how could I get the problem solved?

Thanks!

The DVD works great on my Blu-Ray player, Sony BDP-S360. Maybe you should try a different brand (Verbatim, Maxell etc.).

I just installed Toast 10.0.8 and it seems they have finally fixed the dreaded error- "won"t encode, something wrong with the source movie."

Nah. I just upgraded from Toast 8 to 10.0.8 directly. And guess why I'm searching these forums? Yup. 18771 error. About half my files have this problem. For me, the fix is to simply switch the encoding to mpeg 2. But that' s a cruddy workaround because it's ridden with small noise and artifacts compared to the the mp4 encoding.

But I absolutely have the 18771 error with 10.0.8. You might just be getting lucky. I'm encoding 1080p or i ProRes files from FCP. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But it is consistent on which files it won't encode. It's just flat out ridiculous. They've been charging for this feature for years, and if you look back through the threads, over 2 years ago you'll find roxio employees stating that they're "working on it" so I have no confidence they even know what the problem is or better yet how to fix it. Bummer. Been using Toast for nearly ten years and they seem to have lost their way.

Mine seems to be fixed as well. I only tried it on one file, but it is the first time since I was able to finish even one BD on DVD on anything since 10.0.2. I am hopeful. I am outputting 1920x1080x60i files from FCE.

Edited by ComPH