bigchris

Pre-Release Version Will Expire Soon? I Bought It!

Question

I bought Toast a few weeks ago and having used it for a while, it suddenly tells me when I start it "This Pre-release version will expire soon. Please contact Roxio for a release version or a new beta".

What's weird (annoying) is I bought this from the website. I have a serial number which I applied when I started it for the first time (in fact I couldn't download it until I'd bought it!). So what's this crap all about?

The version is 10.0.7 which doesn't sound like a beta to me.

If I look at my roxio page I have two registered products, Creator Suite 9 and Roxio Toast 10.

So what's up with this?!!

23 answers to this question

I just started getting the same message.....very wierd......i have the boxed version too. I loaded it on to a new mac yesterday and beginning on the first start up it gave me this message. I also show as a registered user and the software says I am registered. Waiting for a new bug fix from Roxio.

DS

I have the same problem. I bought mine from an Apple store. It must be a bug in the program update or something. I am registered and I am also getting a rebate back. So I know that this is most likely a program glitch. I would just call customer support when you can. That is what I am going to do.

good luck

I bought Toast a few weeks ago and having used it for a while, it suddenly tells me when I start it "This Pre-release version will expire soon. Please contact Roxio for a release version or a new beta".

What's weird (annoying) is I bought this from the website. I have a serial number which I applied when I started it for the first time (in fact I couldn't download it until I'd bought it!). So what's this crap all about?

The version is 10.0.7 which doesn't sound like a beta to me.

If I look at my roxio page I have two registered products, Creator Suite 9 and Roxio Toast 10.

So what's up with this?!!

I have the same problem. I bought mine from an Apple store. It must be a bug in the program update or something. I am registered and I am also getting a rebate back. So I know that this is most likely a program glitch. I would just call customer support when you can. That is what I am going to do.

good luck

Having the same issue here today... I already open a ticket in Roxio Support... let´s see what they say... in the meanwhile, I will try to reinstall it... will let you know what happen after...

Thanks folks. Looks like we have two threads on the same subject.

I'm betting this is an oversight by Roxio who left some licensing language in the release that accidentally kicked off on a specific date. They'll probably have to release a 10.0.8 to fix it.

Add me to the list. I don't see any pinned notes for 10.0.7, so I'm not confident that Roxio or the moderators keep up with Toast for the Mac.

Nonetheless, the message is evident there is left over code in the product from development that didn't get purged.

Hopefully, this will be incentive for Roxio to go through their code and remove anything that isn't needed. Old and non-lethal development dialogs annoying. Bloated code bad. Crippleware for legit buyers, really bad.

Same here. add me also. I hope some people from support read this. I gave 80 dollars for problems. This is how roxio treat us, as fools.

Edited by Goxy

Same here. I've started getting the exact message since last night. I've been using Toast 10 for more than a year and have kept updating. Now I updated to 10.0.7 about a week ago. First I thought Roxio gave up beta / pre-release version as an update, but the date on the downloaded file is from May. So it can't be pre-release! I'm glad that I'm not the only one suffering this. I've also opened the support ticket. We'll see what they will say.

Another highly unsatisfied customer that gets this message too.

According to the Knowledgebase Article "Pre-release version message

when launching Toast 10.0.7" toast 10.0.7 will expire on "September 18/2010" !,

ie. in less than two weeks. Could someone from Roxio inform us how the update

is coming ? Thank you.

Add me to the list! Bought it from the website, registered and now I get the warning that it will expire soon because it's a 'beta-version'.

Fix it, Roxio!! :angry2:

Such a shame.. Im getting that too. As I take from their explanations, Roxio is planning bothering us all the time they does an unpdate, isn't it? They even haven't made it yet, but already started disturbing us without a reason.

I guess, the're disregarding us, users, bothering too much and forcing to do what they want.

Edited by slfly

Such a shame.. Im getting that too. As I take from their explanations, Roxio is planning bothering us all the time they does an unpdate, isn't it? They even haven't made it yet, but already started disturbing us without a reason.

I guess, the're disregarding us, users, bothering too much and forcing to do what they want.

Not at all. Although we were planning an update in the next month or so to resolve other issues and improve BD authoring speed, but this message was not intentional. It is used in our internal versions but should have never been included in a release.

10.0.8 should be out before end of day Tuesday (if all goes well) and will include an update for Mac2TiVo as well as DiscCatalogMaker - and no more annoying startup messages about expiration.

I've run into a problem with the update installer which should fix this issue -

"The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access some of the items."

Now what? :(

EDIT -

Did my own detective work and found that my Toast 10 Folder had somehow mystically gotten permissions for "Admin" turned off - to "Read Only".

Very strange. Nothing I did caused that. Oh well - fixed.

Edited by igirl

So this was a fun problem to solve when all 14 of my machines suddenly were unable to burn discs one morning. (At the audio post-production facility where I maintain the computers, we burn somewhere between 100-200 master discs a day for a major audiobook publisher, so you can imagine how much labor and money we lost while trying to fix this problem)

HERE'S MY RECOMMENDED SOLUTION:

-Turn off "automatically check for updates."

-Find new disc burning software, as this kind of glitch (after HOW MANY UPDATES? Not to mention all the other problems I've been having with 10, such as the 'sound effects cannot be initialized' error, or random popping noises on discs, etc) is unacceptable from software that is supposedly an 'industry standard.'

Hey Roxio, Toast isn't a game, there are many of us that rely on it for very professional purposes, and if you're going to keep pushing untested glitchy updates to us every 2 days, we're going to take our business elsewhere.

Oh and don't even bother going the 'customer care' route, by the time you get past all the automated responses and actually get a human, you'll have either solved it yourself or given up on Toast altogether.

10.0.8 should be out before end of day Tuesday (if all goes well) and will include an update for Mac2TiVo as well as DiscCatalogMaker - and no more annoying startup messages about expiration.

OK so you fixed it... What do I do if my copy expired (Purchased and loaded with the serial key). I can't even get to the software to re-enter the key and reloading doesn't help....

Oh wait... found something...

If you're copy has expired go here to download the upgrade:

(Nothing like making it easy to find... not)

http://www.roxio.com/enu/support/toast/software_updatesv10.html

Edited by RocksInHerHead

I'm having not only the same problem which it seems the new update 10.08 fixes - but what it doesn't fix is my older saved projects no longer work in Toast, a message comes up - "This is an unsupported format" - great! So each DVD will need to be authored from scratch. Suggestions for a fix? DVD Studio Pro! Goodbye Roxio.

Edited by Chris Gilbert

I'm having not only the same problem which it seems the new update 10.08 fixes - but what it doesn't fix is my older saved projects no longer work in Toast, a message comes up - "This is an unsupported format" - great! So each DVD will need to be authored from scratch. Suggestions for a fix? DVD Studio Pro! Goodbye Roxio.

Tell me more about this. Is the project saved as a .toast disc image file or as a .disc file? Do you try to open it with the Open command, drag it into Toast or use Toast It from the contextual menu? I'd like to check this out but not sure of the details.