Is Popcorn A Subset Of Toast ?

jim94117

Question

Hi Everyone,

I've seen a feature comparison between Toast and Toast Pro, but not between Toast and Popcorn. After having read the company's descriptions of Toast and Popcorn it seems that having both would be redundant? Is this assumption correct? Will Toast will do everything Popcorn does?

Thanks. I am a recent Mac convert (from Windows).

Jim.

4 answers to this question

You probably know that Popcorn does not burn data and audio discs and doesn't do Blu-ray so it offers less than Toast for features. It does have one feature that Toast doesn't have which you might like if your source files are video DVDs or VIDEO_TS folders. When you want to make a new DVD containing clips from an existing DVD Popcorn opens a window that lets you easily mark the segments you want included as new titles. Toast only lets you select entire titles or entire chapters.

If you have no use for the data, audio and Blu-ray then Popcorn also has a slight advantage over Toast because its interface is a more simple.

You probably know that Popcorn does not burn data and audio discs and doesn't do Blu-ray so it offers less than Toast for features. It does have one feature that Toast doesn't have which you might like if your source files are video DVDs or VIDEO_TS folders. When you want to make a new DVD containing clips from an existing DVD Popcorn opens a window that lets you easily mark the segments you want included as new titles. Toast only lets you select entire titles or entire chapters.

If you have no use for the data, audio and Blu-ray then Popcorn also has a slight advantage over Toast because its interface is a more simple.

Thank you, Tsantee. Doesn't Mac OS X Snow Leopard offer data and audio burning already?

If I bought Popcorn, it is upgradable to Toast?

Mac doesn't support bluray and I don't have a bluray burner or reader.

But I have downloaded 10 gig BDrip files. Can Popcorn compress those into an 8.5 GB dual layer DVD? Can it burn iso files to DVD?

Jim.

Thank you, Tsantee. Doesn't Mac OS X Snow Leopard offer data and audio burning already?

If I bought Popcorn, it is upgradable to Toast?

Mac doesn't support bluray and I don't have a bluray burner or reader.

But I have downloaded 10 gig BDrip files. Can Popcorn compress those into an 8.5 GB dual layer DVD? Can it burn iso files to DVD?

Jim.

Toast has some data and audio burning features beyond what the Mac OS and iTunes can do. But you may not need those. There is no upgrade from Popcorn to Toast. Popcorn and Toast can encode QuickTime-playable and MPEG 2 videos to standard-definition video DVDs or convert those videos to other formats. They also can fit most dual-layer-sized video DVDs, disc images or VIDEO_TS folders to burn on a single-layer disc.

Roxio has a 30-day refund policy for purchasers who buy as a download directly from Roxio if you are not satisfied with your purchase.

Toast has some data and audio burning features beyond what the Mac OS and iTunes can do. But you may not need those. There is no upgrade from Popcorn to Toast. Popcorn and Toast can encode QuickTime-playable and MPEG 2 videos to standard-definition video DVDs or convert those videos to other formats. They also can fit most dual-layer-sized video DVDs, disc images or VIDEO_TS folders to burn on a single-layer disc.

Roxio has a 30-day refund policy for purchasers who buy as a download directly from Roxio if you are not satisfied with your purchase.

Thanks, Tsantee. Roxio should give you a percentage of their sales. You do more tech support for them than anyone there. Ha.

Jim.