• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

The Highlander

Microsoft axes support for Win 98 and Me

post-293-1152042502.jpg

Microsoft axes support for Win 98 and Me

Microsoft will discontinue extended support for Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition and Windows Millennium edition from 11 July.

The move, which is being made in accordance with the Microsoft Support Lifecycle Policy, effectively means that the software giant will end public and technical support, including security updates, by this date.

Microsoft said that existing support documents and content will continue to be available through the Microsoft Help and Support website.

"Microsoft is retiring support for these products because they are outdated and can expose customers to security risks," the company said.

"We recommend customers who are still running Windows 98 or Windows Me to upgrade to a newer, more secure Microsoft operating system, such as Windows XP, as soon as possible."

Microsoft will also end all public assisted support for Windows XP Service Pack 1 on 10 October. This means that the firm will no longer provide any incident support options or security updates for this retired service pack.

"To enhance the security of your computer and to continue to receive updates for Windows XP, we recommend you upgrade your computer, for free, to Windows XP Service Pack 2," Microsoft said.

However, the company stated that it will make Custom Support Agreements (CSAs) available for "eligible enterprise customers under qualified conditions" .

But CSA customers are also encouraged to consider switching to Windows Vista as part of their migration plans.

Full artical Here

ME is Multiple Errors

With three of Microsoft's operating systems you can make a brick for Windows.

CE-ME-NT

ME is Multiple Errors

With three of Microsoft's operating systems you can make a brick for Windows.

CE-ME-NT

"ouch"

cdanteek

Most everybody finds it hard to believe but I used Win ME daily for nearly FOUR years without ever having to reformat. That old computer is still running as one of my backups going on 5 1/2 years now. Guess I just have good karma . . .

Most everybody finds it hard to believe but I used Win ME daily for nearly FOUR years without ever having to reformat. That old computer is still running as one of my backups going on 5 1/2 years now. Guess I just have good karma . . .

I do believe you but which Saint did you pray to daily? :)

I had very few problems with ME. XP has been rock solid for me, so I am glad that I upgraded when it came out.

My Win98 SE is still my main computer, after over 5 1/2 years. The only serious problem was when I was trying to add a 2nd Hard Drive to the original 4GB, and the computer had been "correctly" turned off without usining the on/off butten for so long it didn't come back up, and that had to be done in shop (and I ended up with a 16GB HD, instad of the 4GB + a 10GB).

Not being sure it would be revived, I bought a WinXP SP2, which makes a fine backup computer - and since it has Ghost, it can backup up everythng to an External Hard Drive also.

I think the sites (notably eBay) where I have trouble with the Win98 SE, are more annoyed by 400MHz than the Operating System.

Anyway, I keep the 2.6GHz machine turned off most of the time. The fans are louder, and my temper runs a lot hotter with WinXP.

Lynn

Edited by lynn98109

My Win98 SE is still my main computer
I bought a WinXP SP2, which makes a fine backup computer
I keep the 2.6GHz machine turned off most of the time. The fans are louder, and my temper runs a lot hotter with WinXP.

tem·per·a·ture The degree of hotness or coldness of a body or environment.

A measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a sample of matter, expressed in terms of units or degrees designated on a standard scale.

The degree of heat in the body of a living organism, usually about 37.0°C (98.6°F) in humans.

An abnormally high condition of body heat caused by illness; a fever.

PEBKAC?

tem·per·a·ture The degree of hotness or coldness of a body or environment.

A measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a sample of matter, expressed in terms of units or degrees designated on a standard scale.

The degree of heat in the body of a living organism, usually about 37.0°C (98.6°F) in humans.

An abnormally high condition of body heat caused by illness; a fever.

PEBKAC?

If it were possible to have the degree of flexibility to correct the way the Operating Systsem works, I would not detest WinXP as much as I do.

Lynn

I still prefer Newdos/80

COPY 0 1,,FMT,CBF,NDMW,SPDN=1,DPDN=4,ILF=SYSTEM/ILF,DDGA=3

Things were so simple then . . . (sigh)

I wish there was something we could do to help with your frustrations with XP Lynn.Like Bruce,XP has been very good to me.Can't remember ever seeing the BSOD.It's done every thing I've ever asked of it.With the way Microsoft ends support and future application requirements for OS's,XP and eventually Vista is going to become a must.

I wish there was something we could do to help with your frustrations with XP Lynn.Like Bruce,XP has been very good to me.Can't remember ever seeing the BSOD.It's done every thing I've ever asked of it.With the way Microsoft ends support and future application requirements for OS's,XP and eventually Vista is going to become a must.

The only BSOD problem I had on the Win98 SE was with Word 97 thinking its mission was to open embedded URLs. I instructed Sgt. Norton (aka Symantic FireWall) to block Word from going online. End problem. It's been upgraded to Office 2000, but I've never removed the block. There was one online page in .doc I couldn't open; time to briefly fire up the WinXP (which has a demo copy of Office 2003 - can't save anything, can't alter anything, and I therefore assume essentially malware-proof under current conditions).

I do not think the average home computer user makes DVDs, and an OS with minimum computer specs that can make DVDs is not needed. I'm not sure if Vista will be a boon to Microsoft - or Apple, or Linux.

Lynn

The only BSOD I ever got on 98SE was when I was still naive about spyware/malware. Other than that I hummed along nicely with "only" 500mhz. I'm one of those (no offence Lynn) odd people that actually liked 98SE.

When it came time for a new tower, I had heard that XP was "so cool" and the uptodate O/S I just figured I needed to have it. Whoohoo. It's just another O/S. Built in firewall...system restore...just about next to useless. The only thing it's got going for it is that it's up to date, has support and it's what most people are using. Oh, and the programs I want and need are written for it. That's probably "THE" reason to update the O/S.

I dread the coming of Vista. Has anyone told MS that the O/S is not the end-all and be-all one the harddrive? It's just supposed to be the host for programs, it's not supposed to suck up enough computing power to calculate the meaning of the universe. Luckily it's fairly far off before it'll become commonplace. But there you go...we'll be seeing a notice one day that support for XP "will be coming to an end". And at that point there'll be another announcement that Vista will soon be surpassed by..."the next lastest and greatest".

I had very few problems with ME. XP has been rock solid for me, so I am glad that I upgraded when it came out.

I am with you Bruce, I have had no problems with XP. :)

I don't have any programs that won't run on Win98 SE.

I do have programs I NO LONGER run on Win98 SE, because having 2.4GHz is better for CD burning an scanner operation than 400Mhz.

At one time, the improvement from OS to OS was so great it was a "must have". That hasn't been true for a while, but many companies still have their business plans built on that model.

I think some companies are going to have a hard landing.

Lynn

I am with you Bruce, I have had no problems with XP. :)

My biggest gripe against XP is that it tries to do too much for me. I have some of my applications running on it at work, and I've configured all of those to look as much like Windows 2000 as I can, and I get along okay with it there. On my main machine at home, I run W2K.

I agree that the OS is supposed to be the way to let the applications access the hardware, not the end-all be-all application itself. Hmm... I think the EU feels that way too. :huh:

Of course, I only moved to Windows 98 when the new CD burning application I needed to support DAO recording (Easy CD Pro) wouldn't run on Windows 3.11. Call me a late adopter.

Edited by d_deweywright

My biggest gripe against XP is that it tries to do too much for me. I have some of my applications running on it at work, and I've configured all of those to look as much like Windows 2000 as I can, and I get along okay with it there. On my main machine at home, I run W2K.

I agree that the OS is supposed to be the way to let the applications access the hardware, not the end-all be-all application itself. Hmm... I think the EU feels that way too. :)

Of course, I only moved to Windows 98 when the new CD burning application I needed to support DAO recording (Easy CD Pro) wouldn't run on Windows 3.11. Call me a late adopter.

From DOS to the Apple-flavored Windows was quite a large step.

Lynn

'Apple-flavored'? Apple may have been first to market, but Microsoft did NOT copy Apple. And we all know that both ripped off Xerox. :)

Guest ivanatrox

here is my experience with Windows ME

formatted my hard drive, installed ME and no other apps, leave on my computer when I went out partying, come back and found out computer froze, restart the computer and boot into ME, check all drivers are installed correctly, went to bed, wakeup 8 hours later and my computer froze again, format, reinstall Windows 98

I have a friend with a hand-me-down WinME, with dual-boot into Linux.

She never uses Linux.

She occasionally uses the internet, sometimes plays solitaire, occasionally uses Word and Excel - never two apps at the same time.

She has not had any probems with WinME. :)

Lynn