• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Dvd Drive Redirection?

rjz

Question

I successfully created a DIVIX file from a DVD using Disk Copier. Now I can't access the drive I used for input via windows explorer. When I right click on my drive and then select explore, I get the directory of my desktop (the destination folder for my DIVIX file was on my desktop). It looks like the computer is confused by whatever DC did to cache my original DVD. When I open "my computer", explorer reports the name of the DVD I used with DC even though I have changed DVDs and restarted the computer.

Thanks!

Bob

Edited by rjz

17 answers to this question

If you made a data disc from the folder on your desktop, wouldn't the new disc look like that?

NO, it's a folder containing EVERYTHNG on my desktop!

What did you name the new DVD?

I didn't create a DVD. Just a file "LG_VDR Movie1.AVI" in folder "My Documents" that the program created on the desktop (because I told it to put the output file on my desktop).

PS:

I just updated my original question because I was actually using Disk Copier, not Creator Classic (So many #$^@ programs it's hard to keep them all straight!)

THANKS for any light you can shed on this. I don't know quite enough obout the inner working of Windows (XP SP3) to know what is broken.

PS:

I just updated my original question because I was actually using Disk Copier, not Creator Classic (So many #$^@ programs it's hard to keep them all straight!)

THANKS for any light you can shed on this. I don't know quite enough obout the inner working of Windows (XP SP3) to know what is broken.

Disc Copier creates a exact copy of the disc your copying!

So when you look at it in explorer it will look the same, so what is the problem?:unsure:

Disc Copier creates a exact copy of the disc your copying!

So when you look at it in explorer it will look the same, so what is the problem?:unsure:

OK, Let me start at the beginning:

I bring up EMC9 home

Select Video on the left menu

Select Divx DVD from the main menu

This brings up disk copier

It is already set to video compilation which is fine

I use Add Movies to point it to my "Y" drive which is the source DVD

By the way, my system is set to ask me what to do with a new DVD and I select "open with explorer" and nothing happens

It shows the contents of the dvd and I select the main title of the DVD and it caches it to somewhere (I suspect this step is the problem)

Then I select DIVX as the output format

Output to File/folder

Set my options

select the save to location (desktop/my documents)

and it starts

This screenshot is "properties" of the empty drive (no disk!)

post-69557-019644300 1285253770.jpg

Edited by rjz

I realize you are volunteers and generally do a fine job, but in this case, please read the question before trying to answer. I will state the question in a differnt way:

I did NOT create a disk with Disk Copy, it happens to be the program that EMC9 uses to rip DVDs to AVI files stored on a hard drive.

After successfully creating the AVI on my hard drive:

Source = DVD in drive Y

Destination = desktop\my documents\LG_VDR Movie 1.avi

I am no longer able to explore any DVDs inserted into the source drive (Y).

I need to explore these DVDs because I want to move some of the files on them to a hard drive (nothing to do with any Roxio app).

When exploring ANY DVD in drive Y, they all look like the screen shots above. In fact, even with NO disk in the drive, I get the same results. Normally if you try to explore and empty drive, Windows Explorer says "Pease insert a disk in drive Y".

If I use the Roxio Disk Utility, it does see the disks (or lack of disks as the case may be) correctly.

Now do you understand the problem? Disk Copy has set something in Windows that has redirected my "y" drive somewhere (because Windows doesn't see the correct disk in the drive or even recognize if the drive is empty).

Exploring the drive always gives me a view of my desktop.

To be absolutely clear. Here is how the folloing screen shot was created:

Remove disk from drive Y

Double click on My Computer

Right Click on Drive Y

Select Explore

If you still can't figure this one out, maybe you can pass it along to Gary.

Thanks,

Bob

post-69557-006483300 1285321229.jpg

Edited by rjz

Try this and post what it says

Open a command prompt and type

DIR Y /s: >y.txt

Thanks for undestsnding the problem!

You forgot the ":" after the Y and it took me a while to remember my DOS commands, but the answer is "device not ready" - as it should be!

That sounds as if the OS isn't seeing the drive (the DOS command should have been able to access it, so it's something else)

Two options -

1: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461

2: try removing the ATA headers in Device manager and reboot (Windows should see it and re-install)

No, the problem is somewhere in Windows, not DOS. Since there is no disk in the drive, device not ready is the right response. It's windows that's confused. It thinks it is accessing the drive, when in reality it is showing me a "copy" of my desktop. As I said earlier, the Roxio disk utility also sees things correctly. Will try your number 2.

Edited by rjz

Try the two suggestions - the first is a registry edit to remove upper and lower filters which 'tell' windowsa there is an optical drive(they get replaced on a reboot). The second forces Windows to re-install the IDE settings from BIOS (and by that any drives on that cable)

Please be aware that if you remover the upperfilters/lowerfilters entry, you will also have to reinstall the PX Engine to have your Roxio program recognize the drives again.

Guys:

Thanks very much for your help, but I think I'm going to use this opportunity to install Windows 7. I've been putting it off for a while, but now that my machine is unstabe, it's a good time to do it.

If this ever happens agin, I'll let you know.

Bob

Guys:

Thanks very much for your help, but I think I'm going to use this opportunity to install Windows 7. I've been putting it off for a while, but now that my machine is unstabe, it's a good time to do it.

If this ever happens agin, I'll let you know.

Bob

Only Creator 2010 and Creator 2010 are designed to work with W7. You MAY be able to install EMC 9 and may be able to run it but it will eventually fail.