• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Love my computer

Creator 2011 Not Available At Office Depot

Question

Yesterday, I purchased Roxio Creator software from my local Office Depot store. When I arrived home, I examined my new purchase and discovered no mention of the 3D capability. This is when I realized that instead of purchasing Creator 2011 as I intended, I actually purchased Creator 2010 at full price. I returned to Office Depot and they informed me that they are not carrying Creator 2011.

I stopped by several local Staples stores and they do not have the Creator Pro 2011 either, they just stock the 2010 versions.

How do I upgrade this to 2011 without paying again?

Edited by Love my computer

Yesterday, I purchased Roxio Creator software from my local Office Depot store. When I arrived home, I examined my new purchase and discovered no mention of the 3D capability. This is when I realized that instead of purchasing Creator 2011 as I intended, I actually purchased Creator 2010 at full price. I returned to Office Depot and they informed me that they are not carrying Creator 2011.

How do I upgrade this to 2011 without paying again?

Return your Creator 2010 to Office Depot and shop around for Creator 2011 or go here http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/allproducts.html

That's a bummer! :angry:

I know better and still got caught up buying older version of some software even after I scrutinized the packages!

That was not a Roxio product and even when I realized I had the older version, I still could not find anything on the box to tip me off!!!

My comments were really intended for Roxio; they need to assume some responsibility for their "authorized retailers" continuing to confuse consumers by selling old versions of their product at full retail price. Roxio profits by this obnoxious business model by requiring customers to pay for another version upgrade or by purchasing a new product at the current version.

In addition, Roxio has advertised Tivo support since Creator 2009 which I also own. The support for Tivo in this version encodes so slowly that it is not a practical solution - I finally gave up trying to get Roxio's technical support folks to fix this in Creator 2009.

Return your Creator 2010 to Office Depot and shop around for Creator 2011 or go here http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/allproducts.html

My comments were really intended for Roxio;

Then perhaps you should send your comments direct to Roxio, rather than post them on a customer-manned support board. The volunteers here are helping other users to use the software, not to handle criticism for company policy.

I would point out that the boxes holding Creator 2010 and Creator 2011 are quite different, and it's a bit unfair to criticize Roxio just because you didn't ask for Creator 2011 at the start of your transaction at Office Depot. However no doubt you can cover that when you write to them.

Thank you.

Excuse me, I found this support forum on Roxio's website and did not see any warnings that this was "customer-manned" or that topics critical of "company policy" were not welcomed on this board. I have opened a support ticket for my concerns, unfortunately Roxio does not seem to provide an email address for me to send my concerns to, nor do they seem to provide a physical address. One of the phone numbers I located charges $1.89 per minute to discuss my concerns with Roxio - I do not consider this a viable option.

I completing disagree with your assertion, "I would point out that the boxes holding Creator 2010 and Creator 2011 are quite different." I compared the boxes online, and they are both them same color and basic design with only the year (2010 or 2011) and a few other minor changes differentiating the product.

I also disagree with your assumption, "it's a bit unfair to criticize Roxio just because you didn't ask for Creator 2011 at the start of your transaction at Office Depot." I did not go to Office Depot to purchase Roxio Creator 2011, I just went there to purchase the current version from one of Roxio's authorized resellers. Roxio is responsible for ensuring that the current version is available for sale at their authorized retail outlets, especially when their own press releases state that the 2011 version is available on their website and from their authorized retail outlets. I would point out also that using a year to differentiate software versions can lead to confusion, for example Microsoft's current office suite is 2010, not 2011.

I appreciate the time you expended to respond to my comments, but would really appreciate some assistance with valid Roxio contact information so that I can return the software I purchased to Roxio to be swapped for the current version. Returning the product to Office Depot is not a viable option and the only option that Roxio has offered thus far is for me to purchase the upgrade to 2011 (at about an additional 80% cost of Saturday's purchase).

Thanks,

Mark

Then perhaps you should send your comments direct to Roxio, rather than post them on a customer-manned support board. The volunteers here are helping other users to use the software, not to handle criticism for company policy.

I would point out that the boxes holding Creator 2010 and Creator 2011 are quite different, and it's a bit unfair to criticize Roxio just because you didn't ask for Creator 2011 at the start of your transaction at Office Depot. However no doubt you can cover that when you write to them.

Thank you.

Hello Mark,

I was not scolding you for being critical, just trying to be helpful by pointing out that the volunteers here can't action your complaints.

You've probably already found the main Roxio "Contact Us" page here.

The first offer Roxio suggested was that I purchase a brand new 2011 Pro product directly from them at the price of $99.99. I refused this offer because I just paid retail for 2010 Pro (2 days ago).

Roxio sent me an email this morning, somewhat sweetening the offer a bit. See email below;

Thank you for contacting Roxio Customer Care.

If you bought Creator 2011 on or after 20th June 2010 you are entitled to a grace period update for the special price of US $ 29.99 (GB £24.99 or € 39.99) This highly discounted offer does not include the BD/HD plugin. Creator 2011 Pro can be purchased at a special price of US $ 59.99 (GB £34.99 or € 49.99). This offer includes the BD/HD plugin. To avail of this offer, please submit proof of purchase for Creator 2010 (scanned purchase receipt attached to a response to this mail or Roxio Online Shop Order Number).

Then please contact our sales team, referencing your ticket number, and we will gladly assist you with your purchase.

So now, for a mere $59.99 I can be "upgraded" to the version I should have received Saturday.

Hello Mark,

I was not scolding you for being critical, just trying to be helpful by pointing out that the volunteers here can't action your complaints.

You've probably already found the main Roxio "Contact Us" page here. The parent company is Sonic Solutions who are headquartered at:

7250 Redwood Blvd

Suite 300 Novato CA 94945

Tel: 415-893-8000

Fax: 415-893-8008

I got that info from Sonic.Com

Regards,

Personally I would go back to the retailer and ask them just why they sold me an older version of a suite at the full price.

Maybe if you tell them you are going to the small claims court about it, or referring them to whatever organisation deals with poor customer relations they may come round to your way of thinking.

Daithi,

Thank you for your reply. I already talked to Office Depot and they claim that Roxio has not shipped the 2011 product to them; that's why it is unavailable at this time.

I believe my issue is with Roxio - Office Depot is their "authorized retailer" and Roxio has the responsibility to make sure their "authorized retailers" have the current version of the product. I suspect that Roxio purposely designed the packaging to be so similar that consumers would "accidentally" purchase the older version and then pay for the upgrade to get the 2011 version.

Roxio should do the right thing and upgrade my purchase to 2011 Pro with no charge to me.

Mark

Personally I would go back to the retailer and ask them just why they sold me an older version of a suite at the full price.

Maybe if you tell them you are going to the small claims court about it, or referring them to whatever organisation deals with poor customer relations they may come round to your way of thinking.

I don't know the law in the US but over here it's the end dealer who is responsible and claims are against them rather than the maker. It's as if you bought a car from an agency and found it was last year's model - you don't sue Ford, you sue the vendor.

I don't think by the way that there are 'authorised' dealers - most places just order at wholesale rates and hen re-sell (I could be wrong there but I've a feeling that's the case)

The bottom line is the retailer SHOULD have told you it was last year's software. Claiming they 'hadn't had it shipped' is buck-passing.

If you purchased it on the grounds that it was for 3D work, then the goods are not suitable for the purpose and you SHOULD be entitled for a refund (over here you would be, but, as I said, I don't know what the US version of the law says)

Technology & Furniture - 14 Day Return Policy:

Your Original Receipt is required for all returns or exchanges of technology and furniture.

Technology products may be returned or exchanged within 14 days of purchase with Original Receipt, in original packaging and with UPC code intact. If product box is opened, we will offer an exchange only. A 15% Restocking Fee will be applied if box is missing any components. This applies to all technology products including, without limitation: Computers, Monitors, Cameras, Camcorders, Projectors, GPS, Printers, Copiers, Faxes, Shredders, Telephones, Wireless Technology, MP3s, TVs, DVD Players, Media, Hard Drives, Peripherals, Accessories and Software. Opened software may be exchanged for the same item only. Please remove all personal data from returned/exchanged product. Office Depot is not responsible for any personal data left in or on a returned/exchanged product. Furniture in new condition, unassembled, in original packaging, with Original Receipt and with UPC code intact may be returned within 14 days of purchase.

http://www.officedep...icy&type=Search

Did you open the software?

This is a common return policy industry wide for software bought from a retail outlet..

If software is bought from Roxio's website a 30 day like it or return it policy is in effect!

Your picture depicts the Creator 2010 package - I purchased the Creator Pro 2010 package and the packaging is very nearly identical to Creator Pro 2011. When I entered Office Depot I did not have a version in mind beyond Creator Pro. It wasn't until I returned home with my purchase that I realized that I had not purchased the most current version. After calling Roxio, I was informed that it would cost me the retail price to upgrade from 2010 to 2011.

Don't think I need to say a word. Packaging is quick clear what version.

Edited by Love my computer

Your picture depicts the Creator 2010 package - I purchased the Creator Pro 2010 package and the packaging is very nearly identical to Creator Pro 2011. When I entered Office Depot I did not have a version in mind beyond Creator Pro. It wasn't until I returned home with my purchase that I realized that I had not purchased the most current version. After calling Roxio, I was informed that it would cost me the retail price to upgrade from 2010 to 2011.

Give it a rest!

You made an honest mistake, own up to it and accept responsibility for it…

Nobody owes you anything.

Jim - perhaps you're right. Maybe I should accept that I purchased the wrong version and accept the fact that I need to pay full retail to get the most current version.

Give it a rest!

You made an honest mistake, own up to it and accept responsibility for it…

Nobody owes you anything.

Jim - perhaps you're right. Maybe I should accept that I purchased the wrong version and accept the fact that I need to pay full retail to get the most current version.

Go to the top of this page and select Products, then either the Creator 2011 or the Creator 2011 Pro and look to the right near purchase. You should see an "Upgrade Now" button. That gives you a discount. You do not have to have Creator 2010 installed to use the upgrade.

Have you tried going to a different Office Depot store? It is interesting that they list ONLY Creator 2010 on their on-line store. Perhaps Roxio didn't send them the new version because they are not really authorized or maybe they haven't paid their last bill.

Yes, I did try more than one Office Depot store, plus their online site and they only seem to have Creator 2010 available. Also, I checked out the upgrade options; $99 from Creator 2009, $79 from Creator 2010, plus shipping and tax.

Go to the top of this page and select Products, then either the Creator 2011 or the Creator 2011 Pro and look to the right near purchase. You should see an "Upgrade Now" button. That gives you a discount. You do not have to have Creator 2010 installed to use the upgrade.

Have you tried going to a different Office Depot store? It is interesting that they list ONLY Creator 2010 on their on-line store. Perhaps Roxio didn't send them the new version because they are not really authorized or maybe they haven't paid their last bill.

Yes, I did try more than one Office Depot store, plus their online site and they only seem to have Creator 2010 available. Also, I checked out the upgrade options; $99 from Creator 2009, $79 from Creator 2010, plus shipping and tax.

It appears that the offer, that they made to you, as shown in Post #8, of this thread, is better than what you see on the Roxio website.

These two different Roxio Creator program boxes are quite different to me :unsure:

Frank...

You're still comparing the Creator Pro 2011 box to the Creator 2010 box; try comparing the Creator Pro 2011 box to the Creator Pro box 2010 - they are extremely similar.

These two different Roxio Creator program boxes are quite different to me :unsure:

Frank...

Guest ivanatrox

re: Love my computer

Please PM me your ticket number with our support so that I can help you with the upgrade.

Thanks

Ivan

You're still comparing the Creator Pro 2011 box to the Creator 2010 box; try comparing the Creator Pro 2011 box to the Creator Pro box 2010 - they are extremely similar.

I see where you are correct when you compare Pro to Pro boxes rather than Pro to just C2010---Thanks

Frank...

Hi Ivan,

I'm not sure what you mean by "PM", please forgive me for my ignorance.

My support ticket number is: 1047558

Thanks for offering to assist me; I don't seem to be getting anywhere with this issue.

Mark

re: Love my computer

Please PM me your ticket number with our support so that I can help you with the upgrade.

Thanks

Ivan

Frank,

In the Office Depot and Staples stores I have visited, the salespersons all seem to be confused as well by the packaging being so similar between the 2010 and 2011 versions. In all cases, the salespersons and managers all believed they were selling the current product based on the 2010 listed on the box. In addition, every one of them suggested purchasing the 2010 product and contacting Roxio for a free upgrade - this is based on software industry norms for consumers that buy software during upgrade periods. I'm just surprised that Roxio is giving me such a hard time about swapping the 2010 product for the 2011 product, Roxio's own press releases committed to having the 2011 product at the major "authorized retailers" in early September 2010.

I see where you are correct when you compare Pro to Pro boxes rather than Pro to just C2010---Thanks

Frank...

Frank,

In the Office Depot and Staples stores I have visited, the salespersons all seem to be confused as well by the packaging being so similar between the 2010 and 2011 versions. In all cases, the salespersons and managers all believed they were selling the current product based on the 2010 listed on the box. In addition, every one of them suggested purchasing the 2010 product and contacting Roxio for a free upgrade - this is based on software industry norms for consumers that buy software during upgrade periods. I'm just surprised that Roxio is giving me such a hard time about swapping the 2010 product for the 2011 product, Roxio's own press releases committed to having the 2011 product at the major "authorized retailers" in early September 2010.

Your best bet is wait for a response from your response in post #24.