• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 18 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Roxio Hangs And Crashes While Dragging And Dropping Clips

Coondawg

Question

Everything within this program seems to work okay. My issue is when I am creating a movie production with 100 clips of video that are 13 seconds long. The video is from a hi-def camcorder (1080i). As I drag and drop clips into the production, the software will hang, give me the customary Windows error message telling me that an error has occurred, a message will be sent etc..... So the program shuts down, I restart it and resume moving videos. After 10-15 clips getting dragged and dropped, I get the error...the program closes etc. So now I save the project after every successful video drag and drop operation. Eventually, after several hours I have my complete video. Not a good time.

Any suggestions, is this a memory problem? Right now my system meets the minimum 512MB, I ordered a memory upgrade (2GB) for my computer in hopes it would help, at the least it will help my other applications.

AV is off, I am using XP.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

21 answers to this question

I set the service Roxio Hard Drive Watcher 12 server to to manual startup and the shell icon refresh no longer occurs at logon.

That speeds up the "icon load". But of course it is much more tecnical than that.

Some of the digital gurus here can help you further. (sknis) sounds like a plan to me!

As mentioned, Media Manager can be used to turn off cataloging your files.

Almost every media program you install these day has a powerful (almost sexual urge) to catalog everything and then index it to death. Then rinse and repeat. Then do it again just to be sure. When you have 5 of these on your PC like Google Desktop, Adobe Bridge, Corel (Sadly no longer JASC) Paint Shop Pro browser, (and the rest) - as they sing in opening song of the early episodes of Gilligans Island. Its time to re-think what you install! :)

Anyway, have a nice day.

ntstatus

I set the service Roxio Hard Drive Watcher 12 server to to manual startup and the shell icon refresh no longer occurs at logon.

That speeds up the "icon load". But of course it is much more tecnical than that.

Some of the digital gurus here can help you further. (sknis) sounds like a plan to me!

As mentioned, Media Manager can be used to turn off cataloging your files.

Almost every media program you install these day has a powerful (almost sexual urge) to catalog everything and then index it to death. Then rinse and repeat. Then do it again just to be sure. When you have 5 of these on your PC like Google Desktop, Adobe Bridge, Corel (Sadly no longer JASC) Paint Shop Pro browser, (and the rest) - as they sing in opening song of the early episodes of Gilligans Island. Its time to re-think what you install! :)

Anyway, have a nice day.

ntstatus

LOLLOL, to the bolded, above. :lol: :lol: It's true, and that is why I disable them, although I don't have most of the items that you listed. I quit Paint Shop Pro, when Corel bought them out.

LOL :) I own (have purchased) but have not kept installed, PSP 12/13 whatever from Corel either. I use PSP 9 on this desktop.

I have Photoshop CS5 and Premier Pro CS5 on a (er, this is hard to describe) another OS, in a VHD file. If you read up on Hyper-V and native boot from a virtual disk, it may be fascinating to you - maybe not?

I mean I can boot into 3 operating systems: Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise 64 bit(actual C drive), Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter 64 bit on a 64 GB VHD file, or Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit from another VHD file. So my PC has 3 personalities.

To backup the vhd files I just copy them to an external drive. For the main C drive, I use Acronis from a boot CD and take an image monthly.

Looking forward to Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 / Server 2008 R2 as the remote desktop now runs full Aero!! So I can remote connect with full DirectX graphics support to my machines in another room. Anyway, I am just rabbiting on, sorry.

Have a nice day.

ntstatus

I couldn't wait to get home last night to install my new memory in my computer, going from 512MB to 2GB was going to mean that the Roxio video editing portion was going to work flawlessly...WRONG! Well at least my computer is really fast now, that's good.

I have 126 clips of video, each one is 13 seconds long. I decided to start out slow and drag 10 clips to the movie story board. Within seconds the ten videos were there...AWESOME! I dragged and dropped 10 more...error message that Windows Encountered and Error and needs to shutdown. I started the program again and dragged the next ten videos, it worked. I dragged the next 5 over and received the same annoying message. The strange thing about the message is that the computer does not shut the software down, it just stays in that state, meaning both Roxio windows are open and the Windows error message is there. In fact last night when it gave me the error message I just walked away and this morning it was still there.

Not sure where to go from here? I do not want to give up, any suggestions and I will follow them, thanks.

Is 2010 any better?

I am in Videowave creating a production. On the right side of the screen are all of my video clips, on the bottom of the screen is the "filmstrip". To the left of the screen is the preview of the video clip that is highlighted on the right. I am dragging 10 video clips at a time to the "filmstrip" portion of the screen.

Here is the error:

szAppName : VideoWave13.exe szAppVer : 8.0.0.47 szModName : hungapp

szModVer : 0.0.0.0 offset : 00000000 szAppName : VideoWave13.exe szAppVer : 8.0.0.47 szModName : hungapp

szModVer : 0.0.0.0 offset : 00000000

I tried "repairing" the software but that hangs up telling me another instance is already running.

So far this has been a nightmare.

A lot of temp files are created during drag/drop operations.

Check that your temp folder has been cleaned out totally. But before doing that, check your filesystem.

1. In Accessories open a Command prompt.

2. Enter the command chkdsk /f and hit enter.

3. Type in 'y' and hit enter again. (For 'Yes' please check my disk on the next reboot).

4. Reboot your machine.

5. Wait for the 3 stage test and then your PC will reboot itself again.

OK, now your filesystem has been checked (and repaired if that was needed) try and Shift/Delete every file and folder found in your profile 'temp' directory (folder).

You will need to turn on "Show hidden files and folders" - I'm sure you know how to do that. If not, Google it.

1. Open a Command prompt again

2. Type explorer %temp% and hit enter.

3. You are now in the temp directory

4. Hightlight all those important looking files and folders, hold down the shift key and push delete! (They are all trash - except for some that think they are not trash - but in fact they are - or at least not needed Google Toolbar, AdobeARM etc. etc. java logs etc ~DFxxxxx etc!).

NOTE: Only do this if you are exactly sure you are 'in' the Temp folder for your Windows login (name)!!

For some files they will refuse to delete. Just Ctrl/left-click to un-highlight them & do the keyboard Shift/Del again until you get rid of most of them.

Especially any Roxio or Sonic looking ones.

I would be interested if this cures your problems.

Can your on-board Nvidia chip drivers be updated? You might want to check Nvidia.com

ntstatus

Guys, thanks for all of your suggestions and help with this matter, but I have finally thrown the towel in. After wasting 80 hours of my life on this software I decided to try Corel. Within 10 minutes of starting this program, I had all 125 clips dragged and dropped into my video production WITHOUT ONE CRASH! And a few hours later I had a DVD! All without a single crash! Amazing, a piece of software that works without jumping through hoops, what a novel idea!

Roxio software engineers should consider contacting Corel for some pointers with their software, there simply is no comparison.

Guys, thanks for all of your suggestions and help with this matter, but I have finally thrown the towel in. After wasting 80 hours of my life on this software I decided to try Corel. Within 10 minutes of starting this program, I had all 125 clips dragged and dropped into my video production WITHOUT ONE CRASH! And a few hours later I had a DVD! All without a single crash! Amazing, a piece of software that works without jumping through hoops, what a novel idea!

Roxio software engineers should consider contacting Corel for some pointers with their software, there simply is no comparison.

Your 6150LE video card is the weak link. Your card, and other LE cards, have been problematic with earlier versions of the Roxio software.

Problematic or not, my computer works perfectly with Corel! in fact last night I downloaded 98 clips of my sons football game, DRAGGED AND DROPPED them into the production and had a video ready for rendering in less than 15 minutes. After 75+ hours of Roxio, I had NOTHING! In addition I rendered the video into an MPEG-4 without a single crash! How relaxing!

I had a diehard Roxio user over (Apple user, he thought I was crazy until tried it himself. He said "remove the program, I am sorry I told you about it".

Jim_Harden...shame on you for entering the discussion after all of the BS I was going through and passing judgement on a piece of software that works without a hitch. You must a software developer for Roxio. I wish you entered the discussion with some help rather than biased criticism.

When a consumer purchases a piece of software it should work out of the box, you should never have to jump through hoops or require a Masters in computers to get it to operate properly. Judging from other forums online, I am not the only one with these feelings.

Everything within this program seems to work okay. My issue is when I am creating a movie production with 100 clips of video that are 13 seconds long. The video is from a hi-def camcorder (1080i). As I drag and drop clips into the production, the software will hang, give me the customary Windows error message telling me that an error has occurred, a message will be sent etc..... So the program shuts down, I restart it and resume moving videos. After 10-15 clips getting dragged and dropped, I get the error...the program closes etc. So now I save the project after every successful video drag and drop operation. Eventually, after several hours I have my complete video. Not a good time.

Any suggestions, is this a memory problem? Right now my system meets the minimum 512MB, I ordered a memory upgrade (2GB) for my computer in hopes it would help, at the least it will help my other applications.

AV is off, I am using XP.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

</h4>

<h4>Minimum System Requirements:

• Internet connection may be required for product activation at installation time
  • Microsoft® 7 Home Premium, Professional or Ultimate (32- or 64-bit), Microsoft® Windows Vista™ SP2 (32- or 64-bit), Windows® XP SP3 (32-bit), Windows®XP SP2 (64-bit)
  • For data burning and copy, audio capture and editing: Intel® 1.6GHz Pentium 4 processor or AMD equivalent, 512MB RAM for windows XP and 1GB RAM for Windows Vista and Windows 7. For video editing and conversion and DVD playback Intel Pentium 4 2GHz processor or AMD equivalent and 1GB RAM. Multi-core processor with at least 2GB RAM recommended.
  • 1024x768 DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics card with at least 16-bit color setting, sound card, DVD-ROM drive
  • ATI Stream® and CUDA™ acceleration only available with AMD ATI Stream and NVIDIA® CUDA enabled graphics cards
  • Hard drive with at least 3GB free space for the installation process. DVD and BD copy, video editing and authoring may require large amount of free disk space, up to 10's of GB
  • Windows Media Player version 10, 11 or 12.
  • Internet Explorer 7 or 8.
  • Internet connection required for registration, product updates, and some features. Any Internet charges are the user's responsibility.
  • QuickTime® player version 7 required for some functionality.
  • iTunes® version 8 for some functionality.
  • For video capture: OHCI compliant IEEE 1394 FireWire card for use with DV camera or Roxio Video Capture USB for analog sources
  • Blu-ray authoring (included in Creator Pro) and playback require additional plug-ins which can be purchased www.roxio.com.
  • Setting up of media access server capability requires and always on PC connected to a wired network

3D

• 3D red/cyan glasses included. For other supported 3D formats, required hardware is the responsibility of the user.
  • 3D video input formats: over/under full and half height, side-by-side full and half width, anaglyph red/cyan, RealD, Fuji FinePix REAL 3D
  • 3D video output formats: anaglyph red/cyan, side-by-side and full and half-width, over/under full and half height, RealD

Input Formats:

• Video: AVI, DV, HDV, DV-AVI, MKV, MPEG-1/2/4, MPEG2-HD, DVD-Video, IFO/VOB, XviD, DVR-MS, TiVo, ASF, MOV, WMV, QuickTime, 3GP, MPEG2 Transport Stream, AVC (H.264), AVCHD
  • Audio: Audio CD, MP3, WAV, WMA, Dolby® Digital AC-3, AAC, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, M4A, MP4, Playlists (WPL, ASX, M3U, PLS, XSPF)
  • Image: MPO, JPG, PNG, TIFF, BMP, GIF

Output Formats:

• Video: AVI, DV-AVI, HDV, MPEG-1/2/4, MPEG2-HD, , WMV, WMV HD, AVC (H.264), MP4, 3GP
  • Audio: MP3, WAV, WMA, Dolby Digital AC-3, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, MPEG-1/2, M4A, M4B AAC, Playlists (M3U, PLS, XSPF, WPL)
  • Image: JPG, PNG, TIFF, BMP, GIF
  • Video disc formats: DVD, Video CD(VCD), Super Video CD (SVCD), Mini DVD

Recordable Formats:

• CD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD-R DL, DVD+R DL, DVD-RAM, BD-R/RE, BD-R/RE DL
  • Disc image formats: read ISO, C2D, BIN/CUE and GI; write ISO and GI

Did you notice the last sentence of the bold text above?

What are your PC specs, like CPU size/speed, Video Card, you running the XP operating system with what service pack?

Okay, I feel stupid. I read the first sentence and stopped.

Here are the particulars on my computer:

Athlon 64 (O) 3500+2.2 Ghz processor, 2000 MT/s

512MB memory installed...I purchased 2G memory upgrade, should be here by Thursday

160GB Hard Drive with 95GB open

XP Windows SP3

Motherboard: A8M2N-LA

At this point I know it is a memory problem, but does my Processor make the cut?

Okay, I feel stupid. I read the first sentence and stopped.

Here are the particulars on my computer:

Athlon 64 (O) 3500+2.2 Ghz processor, 2000 MT/s

512MB memory installed...I purchased 2G memory upgrade, should be here by Thursday

160GB Hard Drive with 95GB open

XP Windows SP3

Motherboard: A8M2N-LA

At this point I know it is a memory problem, but does my Processor make the cut?

512KB Cache, things will be slow!

You forgot the Video Card?

ntstatus.......

Last night I went through all of the steps that you outlined. Very good explanation by the way. The chdsk f/ went flawlessly, at least from what I can tell. And then I moved onto the temp folder. There were quite a few files and folders, I got rid of about 90%. Some files did not want to be removed because Windows said that "they were in use". There were also some folders that I left. I am not sure what this "temp" folder represents and I was nervous about getting rid of them.

Anyhow, once this was complete I was able to move about 55 video clips (13 seconds each), without a problem, I thought that all of my problems were solved. Then I dragged and dropped 5 files, windows told me the program was shutting down. I opened the program again and started where I left off, with 50 clips in my production. I dragged another 30 clips, in groups of ten, into the production without a problem, and then things started to get slow. I saved the file and went to bed. I will limp through the rest tonight.

This didn't 100% fix my problem, but it did get me further into my project before a crash occurred.

As far as the Nvidia is concerned. Last night prior to doing anything I went through the bullet list from forum on what to do before install. I did all of my computer updates, including the Nvidia, made 100% sure I had all of the correct software in place and that the AV was off. I then reinstalled the software.

I have put about 50 hours of my life into this program for a 20 minute DVD that I still do not have, amazing! Well, like I said before, one good thing is that my computer is super fast now.

Oh yeah, that is the other thing. When Roxio is not installed on my computer, and I turn the computer on, my desktop and icons appear within seconds. With Roxio installed it takes FOREVER!

Yep, there are some programs being added to your start up. The forever occurs because the program may be cataloging your files for the Media Manager part of the program.

You can go to Windows, Start, Run and type in msconfig, select OK, go to the start up tab and uncheck those items you don't want to run when you reboot your computer. Select to apply and then OK. The next time you reboot, you will get a message that you changed the start up; just acknowledge it and select to not show it again.

or you can try the beta of Soluto. As with all beta programs, use at your own risk and make a restore or back up first. I have used it on 3 computers and have had no issues. Get rid of those no brainers, look at the perhaps and make a decision on what you want to do with those. (CP monitor is not needed to be started when you reboot). If you have a lot of programs starting at reboot, you will save a lot of time with this or the previous adjustments.

or You can go to Media Manager and then to tools and shut off watch folders. You can go to your Home page and go to Roxio Burn and uncheck all disc burners so that doesn't start when you put a disc in the drive.

I dragged and dropped more than 100 mt2s high definition files into Video Wave yesterday and they all came in without a hitch. I added dozens of still images. I had a fished product in less than 2 hours - there was significant editing that I had to do.

Please don't pick on the users who come here to try to help to the best of their ability. As you know, not one from Roxio marketing and/or engineering ever come to this site.

I works out of the box for thousands of consumers; those that have computers that meet or exceed the specs nd those that are careful about installing software. Your friend was being kind - he apparently wanted to keep you as one.

There are a lot of software packages out there and trhe best one is the one that works for you and matches your thought processes.

I'm glad that you have a solution and this thread can be closed.

OK, well I'm glad you got a bit further. By the way, everyone and their grandparents should do a chkdsk /F every 3 months or so.

If you want to see what it fixed, open the Event Viewer in Administrative tools and in the Application log look for an event 1001 for 'Winlogon' (at about the time you logged on after the chkdsk /f). It will show you the disk check and at the bottom if is "made corrections to the file system" or not.

If the mains power goes off on your PC due to a power fail/flick then everyone and their grandparents should do a chkdsk /R (repair). That takes awhile and is a 5 stage check. Lots of tech people think this just scans for bad clusters. It is actually more clever than you can imagine. Trust me.

I recall a friend who had a power flick and his mouse stopped working properly. After several days of doing all sorts of mouse driver re-installs he finaly called me and asked how to reinstall Windows.

I asked why. He explained. I said do a chkdsk /r. He did; his mouse came good!! Of course now I am his guru for all PC problems, sigh....

The desktop shell (icons) does a SLOW refresh too on my system after Rox 2011!! An explorer refresh like that is triggered by a device driver or service doing a delayed startup, or the MSI installer. I am tracking that down right now. So, you are not the only one!

Bye.

I am not a computer guru, this is what I found on-line from HP about the video:

"integrated video, audio, 10/100 Base-T networking interface"

In addition:

Onboard 6150LE graphics chip

Motherboard Name: A8M2N-LA

Chipset: GeForce 6150 LE

Does this mean anything to you?

Thank you for taking time out of your day to answer questions that will help me with this software. I truly appreciate your time and effort.

Thanks again,

Frank

I did poke around a little and found that the 6150LE is compatible with the DirectX 9.0.

So it boils down to the memory then....well that was a cheap fix..$40 for 4X the memory.

This is a nice piece of software, I am excited to use it for real!

These problems usually boil down to lack of knowledge or ignorance.....I was victim to both!

Archived