• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Converting CD's & LP's to DVD with No Compression

jllee1

Question

I have Roxio 7.5 and would like to know if version 8 allows for burning CD's and LP's

to DVD without compression. I have an extremely good (in my mind) stereo system and don't like compression of any kind.

If I can copy CD's and LP's and use the full 4plus gig capability of the DVD, I will upgrade immediately.

Thanks,

John L.

15 answers to this question

Yep.You open Music Disc Creator.Hit DVD Music Disc.Then start adding your tracks.You can also do things with your menus and how they look.Before you burn go to File,Project Settings and change the audio format.

You can't add tracks directly from an LP.You have to use Sound Editor or the CD and LP Assistant first to get them onto your harddrive as .wav files first.

Thanks for your replies. Is it easy to find the record from CD or LP to DVD Audio uncompressed feature?

Just stick with the .WAV format when recording or ripping and you'll be uncompressed. Of course, when recording through your sound card, you could record in a lower fidelity (lower sample rate, lower bit samples) and still be "uncompressed". So, stick with at least the CD standard of 44.1 KHz sampling and 16 bit samples.

Hope that helps!

Is PCM playable on CD as well as DVD players? Is this going to give me the best quality sound? 97 cuts on one DVD is fine for me as long as I get the full dynamic range.

Thanks,

For your CDs, you won't get any better quality than simply ripping them from the CD as .WAV files, 44.1Ksps (samples per second), 16 bit samples, 2 channels. That's the original signal that's on the CD, and doing anything to "upsample" it to a higher bit-rate won't buy you any more quality.

As for your LP's, I think all sound cards will support the CD standard quality recording I listed above. Many new cards also support 96Khz sampling, and 24 bit samples. Much more information, but I doubt I could hear the difference between that and 44.1 KHz sampling and 16 bit samples. Maybe... under just the right conditions, but I have my doubts.

But, if you're looking for higher quality, that's the direction you'll need to take, as well as the unencoded DVD-Audio format.

Hope that helps!

When you make an Audio CD you don't get the choice to use a DVD.That's because you are making a CD not a DVD.The Audio standard .cda file is made for CD's not DVD's.The only compression I know of could be done when you are making your original source files.Then that compression is up to you,depending on what format you make those files at.As far as an Audio CD goes the .cda files are just pointers to what in reality are uncompressed .wav files on the disc.

In Version8 you can make a DVD Audio disc.This is basically a DVD movie with only the Audio track and some menus.There are 3 different formats that can be written at,2 are compressed,1 is not.These discs will not play on a regular cd player,it has to be a DVD player.If you play them on your home DVD player then you get a picture on your tv that has the menus you can navigate.

When you make an Audio CD you don't get the choice to use a DVD.That's because you are making a CD not a DVD.The Audio standard .cda file is made for CD's not DVD's.The only compression I know of could be done when you are making your original source files.Then that compression is up to you,depending on what format you make those files at.As far as an Audio CD goes the .cda files are just pointers to what in reality are uncompressed .wav files on the disc.

In Version8 you can make a DVD Audio disc.This is basically a DVD movie with only the Audio track and some menus.There are 3 different formats that can be written at,2 are compressed,1 is not.These discs will not play on a regular cd player,it has to be a DVD player.If you play them on your home DVD player then you get a picture on your tv that has the menus you can navigate.

That's what I want to do. Right now I'm recording directly to my DVD recorder using it's hard drive. I have it connected to my stereo system.

Thanks,

John

Right now I'm recording directly to my DVD recorder using it's hard drive.
If your DVD recorder uses AC3, that is a form of compression. It's also a very high quality compression used by Dolby for their surround sound system. EMC8 supports PCM (no compression) and AC3 2 channel. I haven't played around much with the DVD part of Music Disc Creator, but I think you can select which one.

That's correct Gary.I guess I should have been more specific.There are 3 formats,Dolby Digital AC-3 and MPEG1 Layer 2 (both compressed),also PCM which is the uncompressed format.You can fit the most tracks with AC-3 (upwards of 400) and the least with PCM (possibly not even 97 or enough to make 1 track list).You can select which one you want to use by going to File,Project Settings.

Archived