Wmp Crashes On Roxiosmartavcdec.ax

ntstatus

Question

Hi, I just clean installed Roxio 2011 Pro and then Service Pack 1.

Things seemed ok. Then I went to plat an AVCHD'lite' .mts file from my Panasonic TZ-10 in WMP and CRASH.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: wmplayer.exe

Application Version: 12.0.7600.16415

Application Timestamp: 4a98ae4b

Fault Module Name: RoxioSmartAVCdec.ax

Fault Module Version: 7.5.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 4c2e2cd7

Exception Code: c0000094

WMP had no problem until I installed Roxio. Boy, this is very bad software engineering. :(

How to I stop WMP from useing the codec RoxioSmartAVCdec.ax ???

Sigh.... So much glitz software these days without the quality. In the 80's I wrote tight C code and Window drivers - I still do.

Why can't Roxio get right?

System = Core i7 920 on Gigabyte GA-X58-UD5 with 12 GB RAM and GTX-250 4 Sata 1.5 TB drives.

OS Windows Server 2008 R2. (Windows 7 - Identical kernel).

Thanks,

ntstatus

6 answers to this question

Thanks, but the OS is the same. Most people don't know that Windows 7 (ntos Ver 6.1 Build 7600) and Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise/Datacenter etc. are the same & have the same version number plus run the same stuff. I.e. Ver 6.1 Build 7600. Identical file paths too. Adobe Premiere CS5 (5.0.2) Pro runs just fine on my system. As do a plethora of other apps. I forgot to mention I'm 64 bit as well. But I know you figured that already. (12 GB RAM).

I think there is something else wrong. I disabled this DirectShow filter (with AVICodec) and now my MTS's play just fine in WMP. Cineplayer worked OK when WMP was crashing.

Could be some incorrect DLL is getting pulled in as I have all the Windows SDK's and DDK's loaded as well as Visual Studio 2010 and my PATH var could use some cleaning up.

No idea what is going on. I am not an expert in DirectShow COM filters let alone all these new transport streams and containers.

I think I'll wait for Sonic Solutions to update these MPEG DLL files and filters. The one that is crashing is using the version 9 CRT and I have the 10 CRT intercepting API calls. Sonic should test their stuff with the latest 10 CRT.

Thanks anyway.

See this link for system requirements.

Yes I know. Same for Adobe & a million other 'consumer' apps (but they all work as they should in my server). Windows NT 6.1 Kernel is the same on the 2008 R2 servers and W7.

See: http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/1696/winvers.png

From some of my systems here.

MS treat them as identical including fancy Direct X thingies. I actually own two Creator 2011's and will be installing the other one on windows 7 later on today. 'twill be interesting!!

Bye.

None of the Roxio apps has ever worked in a server OS.

Despite the MS version number there are differences between a server and a workstation and I'm afraid you're out of luck

Hi There, well, Roxio 2010 was working fine for all applications! :rolleyes: I have been around programming since the F8 microprocessor - look it up. Yes I am over 50 Years young. :(

The diffences are not application breaking differences. All MS updates are identical for W7 and Server 2008 R2.

As I said, most people don't get it. For some reason it's hard to tell them? - I don't know why!

Nero 10 is a classic. It refuses to install on Server 2008 R2 simply becase the InstallShield package specifically disables it! lol.

Microsoft guidelines for building applications specifically state that one should not limit installation based on same or higher version.

From the documentation 31/August/2010: Quote:

"

Operating System Versioning

Affected Platforms

Clients - Windows 7

Servers - Windows Server 2008 R2

Feature Impact

Severity - High

Frequency - High

Description

The internal version number for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 is 6.1. The GetVersion function will now return this version number to applications when queried. This is especially important for AntiVirus, backup, utility applications, and copy protection.

Manifestation of Impact

The manifestation of this change is application-specific. This means that any application that specifically checks for the operating system version will get a higher version number, which can lead to one or more of the following situations:

Installers might be unable to install the application, and applications might be unable to start

Applications might become unstable or crash

Applications might generate error messages, but continue to function properly

Mitigation

Most applications will function properly on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 because the application compatibility in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 is very high. However, Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 include a Compatibility View for installers and applications that check for operating system version.

Solution

Generally, applications should not perform operating system version checks. If an application needs a specific feature, it is preferable to try to find the feature, and fail only if the needed feature is missing. At a minimum, applications should always accept version numbers greater than or equal to the lowest supported version of the operating system. Exceptions should occur only if there is a specific legal, business, or system-component requirement.

"

End Quote

Have a nice day.

PS: Just noticed the HAM bit. I got my full VK3.. callsign in 1969! Now that date me! :)

73's

Edited by ntstatus