Videowave12.exe.2300.dmp How To Use?

Lynn Lynn

Question

I have failed to find search hits in this forum that are on point for my crashes. If there are such, please direct me.

Operating System

MS Windows 7 64-bit

CPU

Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz 51 °C

Bloomfield 45nm Technology

RAM

9.0GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz 7-7-7-20

Motherboard

DELL Inc. 0X501H (CPU 1)

Graphics

Dell 2209WA(Digital) on NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240

NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240

Hard Drives

640GB Western Digital WDC WD6400AAKS-75A7B2 (IDE) 38 °C

300GB Maxtor Maxtor OneTouch II IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device (1394)

Optical Drives

HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH20N

HP Virtual CD 4607 USB Device

PLDS DVD+-RW DH-16AAS

Audio

Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio

Roxio Creator 2010 Pro

Far too often, in VideoWave, the entire screen grays out, with a small window popping up entitled “VideoWave 12” and the boxed text is “VideoWave 12 has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows is searching for a solution to the problem. . . . “ The most recent example is

VideoWave

New Production

Show Media Selector

I select a single scene (AVCHD MTS format), and the gray-out happens. However, it seems to be intermittent. Just before this, I was able to select 10 other scenes, trim them, and output an MP2 clip for use by MyDVD later on. I discern no consistency in the cases when this gray-out failure happens. I considered too many total bytes in a production, too many scenes, etc, but I rule that out as the most recent crash was with a single 1-minute scene. Intermittent and inconsistent!

I wish that Roxio would give me some warning or diagnostic, and not just stop working and go gray.

BTW, I have reinstalled Creator 2010 Pro selecting Repair. That did not end the crashes.

As it happens, Dell bundled in with my new computer several programs, including "Creator Premier version 10.3 copyright 2007" I told the salesman that I had already purchased two releases after that (2009 and 2010) and that I thought that they were bundling obsolescent software. Anyway, today I tried the MyDVD Express in that release, and also got a screen gray-out and a "stopped working" message. I might suspect tht the problem is related to having two releases, but the problem did not arise in my old XP computer on which I ran both 2009 Special and 2010 Pro

5 answers to this question

I do have Norton 360, and although I not researched the specific workings of this antivirus program, I can affirm that the only program, of many apps I use, that goes all gray and stops working, is Creator 2010. Also, I have several sets of crash dumps from VideoWave, and that is not true of other apps. So I am very hesitant to blame Norton without very good evidence.

The Google hits (on "DMP") that I have read so far want me to download and use some utility of uncertain applicability. They imply that they correct all sorts errors in my OS, but my guess is that Win 7 does not come with a utility that permits the reading of dump files created by program crashes, and Microsoft does not consider this to be an error. Maybe users are not trusted to be able to read and utilize such dumps.

Very often, I get a crash/hang, with a grayed out screen. I have several of these dumps.

Can you recommend a trustworthy, reliable, and preferably free or low cost, utility that would permit me to read these VideoWave dump files in a good format?

And if I can read such files, would I likely find out what to do about solving the crash/hangs that I keep getting?

VideoWave dumps.pdf

Please know that Roxio C2010 is the only program that I run, out of the many that I run, that hangs completely, with a grayed out screen. It is also the only program that at this time has 8 DMP files associated with it, with names like the one in the subject line; always VideoWave12.exe.nnnn.dmp, where nnn stands for 4 numerals. These DMP files are from 18 to 20-some million bytes in size -- e.g., 19,999KB.

Based upon some Google hits that I have perused, it is likely that I may lack the requisite knowledge to understand the contents of the DMP files even if I were to be able to display them. Having been a programmer for about 20 years, I do have experience writing in absolute machine language, and I certainly have done debugging based on reading octal and, later, hexadecimal dumps. And I have taken several university courses in programming in C++. But I have no more technical knowledge of the Windows OS than most users, and none at all about the programming of C2010.

My hope was and is that if I can get pertinent info from the DMP files, I could send the relevant data to Roxio Tech Support via their webmail, and learn why VideoWave12.exe keeps hanging.

I do have Norton 360, and although I not researched the specific workings of this antivirus program, I can affirm that the only program, of many apps I use, that goes all gray and stops working, is Creator 2010. Also, I have several sets of crash dumps from VideoWave, and that is not true of other apps. So I am very hesitant to blame Norton without very good evidence.

It is not Norton per se; it is the live scanning. You already have scnned the files when they were loaded on your computer; now why do you need to scan them again when you are working with them?

Your choice.