• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Combining Avchd/mpg And Dv/avi

Panil

Question

Hello, I am still on Roxio Creator 2009, but I hope I can get some help in this forum anyway. I want to combine video shot in AVCHD with video shot in DV. I have first captured the AVCHD video as mpg, then I have captured the dv to avi. I have tried to use either 16x9 or 4x3, but I am not able to get the mpg-files to match the format of the avi-files. Either the mpg is widescreen (16x9) but then the avi has black borders on the side, or the mpg:s have black borders on top and bottom (4x3) and the avi is "full screen". Is this an impossible quest or have I missed some option when capturing the videos?

Anybody has a solution?

//Panil

4 answers to this question

So, it sounds like you're starting with video clips that are in two different formats. One in WideScreen (16x9), and one in Letterbox (4x3). Is that correct?

If so, what is your target display format? Widescreen or Letterbox? One or the other is going to have black bars if you have different format video to start with. Or, what do you think it should do? In Widescreen mode, you could crop the top and bottom of the letterbox video clip, or in Letterbox format, you could clip the sides of the widescreen video clip?

So, let us know what you really want for your output.

So, it sounds like you're starting with video clips that are in two different formats. One in WideScreen (16x9), and one in Letterbox (4x3). Is that correct?

If so, what is your target display format? Widescreen or Letterbox? One or the other is going to have black bars if you have different format video to start with. Or, what do you think it should do? In Widescreen mode, you could crop the top and bottom of the letterbox video clip, or in Letterbox format, you could clip the sides of the widescreen video clip?

So, let us know what you really want for your output.

Hi Dave! I guess that what I would like to have as display format is widescreen, if possible :rolleyes: . I haven´t thought much about the different formats until now when I have a project where I want to combine videos from two different camera types, since we were two persons shooting video during the camp. I am not sure that I understand your suggestion about cropping - is that a serious possibility, I haven´t found any information on that in Creator 2009? :huh:

//Panil

Well, I'm not an expert on it, but as I recall in VideoWave, you can Zoom, the trick will be to get it to output in a widescreen format once you've got it cropped as you want. And I'm not sure if it'll do that.

Ah... here's what to try. Start a new widescreen project. Add your Letterbox format video. It should show up with black bars on the sides. Now Zoom in to get rid of the side bars. Of course, you'll have to lose some of the top and/or bottom of the letterbox image. You can save that project and either add it like that into MyDVD, along with your other Widescreen clip, or do all of this as part of a longer Video Wave production.

Hopefully that'll make enough sense to get you going.

Well, I'm not an expert on it, but as I recall in VideoWave, you can Zoom, the trick will be to get it to output in a widescreen format once you've got it cropped as you want. And I'm not sure if it'll do that.

Ah... here's what to try. Start a new widescreen project. Add your Letterbox format video. It should show up with black bars on the sides. Now Zoom in to get rid of the side bars. Of course, you'll have to lose some of the top and/or bottom of the letterbox image. You can save that project and either add it like that into MyDVD, along with your other Widescreen clip, or do all of this as part of a longer Video Wave production.

Hopefully that'll make enough sense to get you going.

Hi again! Thank you for your suggestions! They put me on the track to the solution that works for me. I start a widescreen production and then I choose the option "Fill screen" (menu File/Production Settings) for files that are not 16x9-format. No more black frames!

Thanks again,

Panil