• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

ajtaylor

Insufficient Video Resources

Question

I wanted to seperate this out from a similiar topic to reduce confusion on problem

When attempting to play a movie I get message "The application can not be launched due to insufficient video resources." When attempting to edit a video I get the message "There are insufficient graphics capabilities for the application to run. This may be caused by the following: Your video card may not fully support DirectX 9.0. Check to see if an updated driver is available for your card. Your video card hardware may be sufficient for full DirectX 9 support. You will need to upgrade your card." I have a HP Pavilion dv8t notebook w/ 6GB RAM, NVidia 230GT card w/ 1GB, running Windows 7 (64-bit). I've uninstalled Roxio Creator 2011 Pro, gone through and manually removed all directories, gone into regedit and removed all references to Roxio and reinstalled from scratch with the same results. Even reinstalled DirectX.

9 answers to this question

I wanted to seperate this out from a similiar topic to reduce confusion on problem

When attempting to play a movie I get message "The application can not be launched due to insufficient video resources." When attempting to edit a video I get the message "There are insufficient graphics capabilities for the application to run. This may be caused by the following: Your video card may not fully support DirectX 9.0. Check to see if an updated driver is available for your card. Your video card hardware may be sufficient for full DirectX 9 support. You will need to upgrade your card." I have a HP Pavilion dv8t notebook w/ 6GB RAM, NVidia 230GT card w/ 1GB, running Windows 7 (64-bit). I've uninstalled Roxio Creator 2011 Pro, gone through and manually removed all directories, gone into regedit and removed all references to Roxio and reinstalled from scratch with the same results. Even reinstalled DirectX.

Have you asked HP about the issue? I know that other things run but the program essentially requires the same power as do games.

Here are some suggestions.

A couple of other people had the same issue but few came back and told us what fixed their problem.

Just to make sure, you must run with AC power and you must set the laptop to full power at all times. Some laptops power down on battery and/or certain operations.

Edited by sknis

I asked HP about this and of course they told me it was a Roxio issue. I've got all the latest drivers and bios installed. Just purchased the notebook last month. Running off AC power.

I asked HP about this and of course they told me it was a Roxio issue. I've got all the latest drivers and bios installed. Just purchased the notebook last month. Running off AC power.

What about the power settings?

Not sure what you want to know about power settings. On AC power dim the display - never, turn off display - 1 hour, put to sleep - 4 hours.

Not sure what you want to know about power settings. On AC power dim the display - never, turn off display - 1 hour, put to sleep - 4 hours.

There is one power setting that you did not mention. This is what W7 says about power settings

"Power plans: frequently asked questions

A power plan is a collection of hardware and system settings that manage how your computer uses power. You can use power plans to reduce the amount of power your computer uses, maximize performance, or balance the two. For information about making your laptop battery last longer, see Conserving battery power.

Here are answers to some common questions about power plans.

Which power plans are available?

Windows provides the following plans to help you manage your computer's power:

Balanced. Offers full performance when you need it and saves power during periods of inactivity. This is the best power plan for most people.

Power saver. Saves power by reducing system performance and screen brightness. This plan can help laptop users get the most from a single battery charge.

High performance. Maximizes screen brightness and might increase the computer's performance in some circumstances. This plan uses a lot more energy and will reduce the amount of time that a laptop battery lasts between charges.

Note

High performance doesn't appear on the battery meter by default. To turn on High performance, open Power Options by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type power options, and then click Power Options. Under Select a power plan, click Show additional plans, and then click High performance."

Tried that still no difference. Here is a mystery that I haven't been able to figure out, which may or not be related to this problem. I'm not sure how much, if at all, Windows Media Player plays into Roxio Creator 2011, but when I tried to run a Windows Media Player file from the internet I would get sound but no video (32-bit version of IE). When I ran the 64-bit version it ran just fine. I've even gone and downloaded additional codecs hoping this would solve the problem without success.

Tried that still no difference. Here is a mystery that I haven't been able to figure out, which may or not be related to this problem. I'm not sure how much, if at all, Windows Media Player plays into Roxio Creator 2011, but when I tried to run a Windows Media Player file from the internet I would get sound but no video (32-bit version of IE). When I ran the 64-bit version it ran just fine. I've even gone and downloaded additional codecs hoping this would solve the problem without success.

Usually additional codecs screw things up royally. If you can't play a WMP file, there are probably issues with you OS that you may need to correct. Sorry, I don't have any more ideas. Perhaps going to MS help on the web?

I have the same problem of insufficient video resources with Creator 9 and Creator 2010 on my HP DV9700t laptop. I worked with NVIDIA 2nd and 3rd level but they indicated that it was not a NVIDIA problem. The insufficient video resources doesn't show up under XP. The issue for me was first detected with Cineplayer. I give Creator 2011 another test on my laptop.

Update on 10-23-2010: Cineplayer from Creator 2010 fails on launch running Windows 7 64 bit on my DV9700t laptop with the message "insufficient video resources". I thought of trying Creator 2010 under XP but then I have never had an issue with Creator on my laptop running XP.

Edited by Big_Dave

I finally solved this issue on my HP DV9700t laptop.:D :D :D

During the installation of Windows, Windows conducts an initial performance assessment (Windows Experience Index). As it turns out, the initial default video driver installed by Windows doesn't contain DirectX 9 support for my laptop. When Windows completes the assessment process, all of the assessment indexes are stored in: C://windows/performance/winstat/datastore One particular XML file: ...........DWM.ASSESSMENT (initial).winstat.xml is where a flag is set indicating that DirectX 9 support doesn't exist. Even if you rerun the Windows Experience Index (re-assessment) the original ...........DWM.ASSESSMENT (initial).winstat.xml file is not replaced. It's probably kept for historical purposes (who knows). I discovered the file with a DirectX 9 support missing when I was comparing the differences between Windows 7 32 and 64 bit after installing a SSD.

The fix for me was to delete out all of the files in the DATASTORE folder and re-run the assessment. Apparently CINEPLAYER keys on the "initial" DWM assessment file and not any one that might get created after the re-assessment process has been run. This issue has "dogged" my Roxio CINEPLAYER since VISTA and Roxio 2009. For some reason, XP and CINEPLAYER did in counter this issue.