Ntsc To Pal Conversion

Pierref

Question

I have a DVD which was created with home movies patched together using iMovie and burned onto a DVD using iDVD in NTSC format. The original iMovie and iDVD files are long gone. I still have the DVD. Is there a way to make NTSC and PAL copies of the original DVD? I want to send a copy to relatives in Italy.

3 answers to this question

Most PAL DVD players can play NTSC DVDs so you might check if it will be a problem.

You can have Toast transcode the videos to PAL. Select PAL as your format in Toast Preferences. Choose DVD video as the format in the Video window. Insert a source DVD and choose DVD with the top button of the Toast Media Browser. Drag what appears to the main Toast window to extract the videos from the DVD. Prepare the menu the way you want (you can change the thumbnail image for the button by clicking on it and dragging the slider that appears below). When you are ready click the burn button or choose Save as Disc Image. Toast will ask if you really want it to be PAL. Click okay and do something else for awhile.

Most PAL DVD players can play NTSC DVDs so you might check if it will be a problem.

You can have Toast transcode the videos to PAL. Select PAL as your format in Toast Preferences. Choose DVD video as the format in the Video window. Insert a source DVD and choose DVD with the top button of the Toast Media Browser. Drag what appears to the main Toast window to extract the videos from the DVD. Prepare the menu the way you want (you can change the thumbnail image for the button by clicking on it and dragging the slider that appears below). When you are ready click the burn button or choose Save as Disc Image. Toast will ask if you really want it to be PAL. Click okay and do something else for awhile.

Thanks for the reply. I did as you suggested and unfortunately, I rec'd a Roxio error message as follows: 'Could not record disc because of a MAC OS error Result Code: 1852402768.

I also went to the roxio support area and found suggestions to review the firmware in my MacBook Pro. I did so and it seems to be up to date.

I then backed up and decided to just make an straight copy of the DVD (which plays fine in both the MAC and my DVD player). As soon as I inserted the blank DVD, as instructed, it gave me the same error code! What am I doing wrong????

Thanks for the reply. I did as you suggested and unfortunately, I rec'd a Roxio error message as follows: 'Could not record disc because of a MAC OS error Result Code: 1852402768.

I also went to the roxio support area and found suggestions to review the firmware in my MacBook Pro. I did so and it seems to be up to date.

I then backed up and decided to just make an straight copy of the DVD (which plays fine in both the MAC and my DVD player). As soon as I inserted the blank DVD, as instructed, it gave me the same error code! What am I doing wrong????

I hate it when these thing don't work the way they're supposed to. It's always hard to figure what workaround to suggest. To make a duplicate copy of an existing DVD, choose Disc Copy in the Copy window and then click the Save as Disc Image button rather than the burn button. When that is finished eject the source disc and switch to the Image File setting in the Copy window. Select the .toast disc image file you just saved and burn you new copy.

As for the error that appeared, I've seen that when Toast had some difficulty with an existing MPEG 2 file. It could be a result of dropped or damaged frames in the source video. In this event it may be best to start by using the Convert window. You can choose DVD Disc as the format in the Convert window and then click Convert and save using the AppleTV preset. When that is done you switch back to the DVD video setting in the Video window to have Toast make the new PAL-format DVD from those converted video files.