• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

rufus

Windows 7 Compatibility And Dvd View Time

Question

Hi.

I am posting my topic here because I may end up purchasing Creator 2011.

Before I ask my question, let me start with a little background. I have used Creator 2009 for the last couple of years and earlier versions before that. There have been a few problems but, with help from these forums, the problems were solved. I have recently moved to a new Windows 7 computer and checked the Microsoft compatibility page for Creator 2009. What I found there was somewhat confusing. It says that Creator 2009, version 10, is compatible. (The picture of the box is not the same as my box.) The Microsoft page also lists Creator 2009 (no version number; box looks like mine) is not compatible. The version number for my copy of Creator 2009 (still on my XP machine) is 111B10E.

So my first question is: is my version 111B10E compatible with Windows 7?

I have used Creator primarily at Christmas time when I create photo and video family DVDs for my four children and their families. It’s approaching the time when I will begin to organize for this year’s DVDs, hopefully with Creator 2009 but, if not, either 2010 or 2011. Prior to last year there was never a problem getting all the photos and video onto a DVD. However last year I had to shorten some videos in order to get them to fit. (I must be taking more and more photos and videos.) It seems that the max run/view time for the DVD is about 1 hour. I anticipate that the productions for this year’s DVDs will exceed an hour, but probably not by much. I have done some reading in these forums and found that others have had the same issue. A common reply was that, yes, an hour is about as much as will fit onto a DVD. However, I seem to remember reading a couple of suggestions. (Sorry, I looked again recently and couldn’t find the sources.) I think someone mentioned creating an ISO file and burning that to the disk might give a few extra minutes. I never burned my DVDs that way. I just created the pieces, attached them to a menu and burned.

So my next questions are: is 1 hour about the max time? If not, what can I do to get view time to exceed an hour?

Thanks for reading this rather wordy post.

5 answers to this question

Your version of Creator 2009, the same as I have, is not compatible with Windows 7.

Burning as an .iso file will let you get more than an hour on a standard DVD, but I would not go much over an hour. Some folks have said that they have burned 1-1/2 hours, to a standard DVD, via the .iso route, but there is a noticeable drop in quality, IMHO.

Your Creator 2009 and earlier versions are not Windows 7 compatible. There is no such thing as Creator 2009 version 10, so perhaps Microsoft is being confusing again.

The first Creator suite to be fully Windows 7 compatible is Creator 2010. It is followed by Creator 2011, which is also fully compatible.

Roxio's compatibility KB article is found HERE.

Thank you both.

Now on to my next decision.

Ref:- When burning video set to fit to disck and you will fit 2hrs of video on a standard dvd,without loseing to much clarity. See att/image screen cap bottom right of image,

Ref:- When burning video set to fit to disck and you will fit 2hrs of video on a standard dvd,without loseing to much clarity. See att/image screen cap bottom right of image,

Many people would disagree with your assessment of the quality. You can fit it but the bit rate will be low.

The better choice is to use a DL disc; you can get 2 and a little bit on the disc. They will play in most modern DVD player with only a small pause while the laser changes position for the layers.