Windows Installer Runs After A Clean Install

JimStone

Question

After what I thought was a successful install, I click on the roxio icon the program starts, then the windows install window pops up the a info window telling me that a reboot may be needed. If I cancel the install window roxio continues.

I then select an option and I get program errors. See Attached for more details

Thanks

Jim Stone

Dell Studio 1537

Pentium dual core t4200 2.0 GHZ

Ram 4.00GB

32 bit OS

60gig free space on HD

Vista Home Premium sp2

post-88280-034182800 1286592066.jpg

post-88280-061094200 1286592084.jpg

6 answers to this question

Sounds like a bad install. Some AntiVirus applications prevent the install from writing to the registry. Uninstall, reboot, TURN OFF completely your antivirus and then reinstall Creator 2011.

Not the issue. zonelab was completely shutdown, registry doctor shutdown. I have tried this install 3 times. cleaned every file off the system (roxio,sonic) and the registry file. I had this problem years ago when I installed Creator 2009, The difference is when I cancelled the installed at the first screen, it simply continued with on problem. It seems that roxio has yet to develope a install that works with basic systems. Still waiting on a fix. This is the only software I have ever had a problem consistantly with on different computers and different OS.

Thanks

Jim Stone

Dell Studio 1537

Ram 4.00GB

32 bit OS

60gig free space on HD

Vista Home Premium sp

It still sounds/looks like something was left over from a previous version.

Use Revo Uninstaller in the Moderate Mode to remove ALL Roxio AND Sonic applications listed. Get rid of that registry cleaner. They usually cause more problemss than they fix. This was experienced in previous versions. I'm not sure anyone ever let us know they used Registry Doctor however. I read the cnet write up on itand it doesn't sound that it is too user friendly -- too many posibilities of removing something that shouldn't be removed. It is very possible that the issue is that the program installed properly but that registry cleaner screwed it up.

You have nothing to lose if you remove it, uninstall the program, make sure that it is ready for the installation and then reinstall (with your antivirus OFF).

Edited by sknis

Ok, I uninstalled zonelab, registry mechanic(pctools)(not doctor that was a mistake), uninstalled roxio, downloaded and ran revo uninstaller, physically edited the reg file and remove anything left other from the auto install, search HD and deleted all files with roxio amd sonic. rebooted. reinstalled roxio. same errors. If someones wants to look at the log files I can email them to you. I have requested a refund. Wasted to much time on this.

Thanks

Jim Stone

Dell Studio 1537

Ram 4.00GB

32 bit OS

60gig free space on HD

Vista Home Premium s

Ok, I uninstalled zonelab, registry mechanic(pctools)(not doctor that was a mistake), uninstalled roxio, downloaded and ran revo uninstaller, physically edited the reg file and remove anything left other from the auto install, search HD and deleted all files with roxio amd sonic. rebooted. reinstalled roxio. same errors. If someones wants to look at the log files I can email them to you. I have requested a refund. Wasted to much time on this.

Thanks

Jim Stone

Dell Studio 1537

Ram 4.00GB

32 bit OS

60gig free space on HD

Vista Home Premium s

What you did was not what I suggested. You may have gone too far and screwed up your registry. If you made a restore point, restore your hard drive and then use Revo first. You can uninstall RegMechanic. Why did you uninstall Zonelab. Oh well, you can uninstall it in Revo. I'm not sure that Revo will now see any of the Roxio or Sonic applications.

It might be time to back up all your files (if you haven't already) and reinstall Windows. Sorry, I can't suggest anything other than that.

Since you have some free support time with Roxio, perhaps it is time to call them (again).

My experience with Registry Mechanic and Roxio Creator is limited to Creator 2009, but the following may be instructive.

I have for the last couple of years been running Creator 2009 on my Xp pro system with no problems. During that same period I had already installed PCtools product Registry Mechanic. But the truth be told, I never ran or used it after I had installed Creator 2009.

Last week I decided (for no aparent reason) to run update Registry Mechanic and ran it.

AFTER I ran the scan, but BEFORE repairing any of the reported problems, Roxio Creator 2009 launched (on it's own accord) with the window that states Windows is configuring for installation of Creator 2009. After several moments, it begins to search for required components. Then another window appears stating that it can not find the file UM.MSI, that I must put the original installation disk into a drive. When I do that disk drive is momentarily (2-3 secs) activated and I get a message that Creator 2009 is now properly installed (but system needs to be restarted.

After restart Creator 2009 seems to perform normally, without any problems.

So I tried to run Registry Mechanic again, and again AFTER system scan, but BEFORE any repairs, the process described above replays it self (much like Groundhog Day!)

I have repeated this now four or five times, and each time Creator 2009 works fine after the restart. And will continue to perform correctly AS LONG AS I DO NOT USE REGISTRY MECHANIC in any manner.

I don't know the reason for this, nor how to correct it. PCtools support denies that they have any issue with Roxio software. As far as I'm concerned the culprit is Registry Mechanic, and why (without asking) it removes the UM.msi file.

Is this information useful to the original poster (Creator 2011) or not, I've no idea. But it does seem to me that his criticism of Roxio product just might be misplaced.